1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Tacoma Brake Shimmy Driving Me Mad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by guitars&tacos, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    guitars&tacos

guitars&tacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Metro Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2018 White TRD 4x4 Off Road 6 MT
    My 2004 4 runner did the very same thing after every 30,000 miles or so where the steering wheel shimmies so bad that it vibrates your arms. My 2008 Tacoma does the exact same thing now. I put new brakes on and turn the rotors about 20,000 miles ago. Who else has this issue and have you figured out a way to remedy it? My truck feels like its going to fall apart everytime I have to brake moderately and especially hard. I wonder if better rotors will fix the issue?

2. Apr 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    I would start off by measuring the rotor run out for your discs. If its excessive that's obviously causing your vibration and I would strongly recommend getting them turned at a place that uses on-car brake lathes. If you tow a lot or have a heavy brake foot that's causing your rotors to warp so soon then I would consider slotted/drilled brake rotors

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    I had the same problem on my 92. I bought new rotors and did the same to them after a short period. I believe the 6 lug tacos use a fixed caliper design so that rules out a stuck caliper. what pads do you run? how are your wheel bearings? those are the only things I can think of right now that would affect the rotors

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    They use a four piston caliper which does eliminate the possibility of a seized caliper slide pin, but its still possible for a piston(s) to seize, causing drag and heat.

That said, if its an ongoing issue like that with more than one vehicle, I'd look at the common denominator. Driver braking habits.

5. Apr 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    you could be over torqueing the lug nuts. impact wrench will do every time, always best to use a torque wrench. don't wash your wheels when the brakes are hot. if your rotors keep warping, buy vented rotors not drilled and make sure there is no mud caked in the brake vents. could be your driving habits, top heavy vehicle and too much speed thru the corners. the other thing, oversized tires and wheels. too much unsprung weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top