Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Poll: Front lift Question - Added Weight Compensation (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/274747-poll-front-lift-question-added-weight-compensation.html)

LoadedTaco 04-24-2013 09:25 AM

Poll: Front lift Question - Added Weight Compensation
 
Okay so I have a 2012 Baja edition. As you know it comes with about a small lift from the factory. Since I purchased my truck I have added a considerable about of weight. Pelfreybilt bumper, winch, and Pelfreybilt skid plates are on the way. I went wheeling for the first time this past saturday and the truck did amazing. My only issue is I would like to compensate for the weight to get my stock ride height/clearance back.

I don't want more lift just more support for the extra 130+lbs. Money is tight so I am trying to dodge UCAs for now. I figure if my truck came with the lift a lift so as long as I don't exceed the stock height I will not need to replace them? In theory....

My question for all you all are the following.

1) Should I leave the suspension as is.
2) Add a 10mm Front Strut Trim Packer
3) Swap out the Coil spring for an OME 886 (I am not sure if this is possible due to shock size)
4) Other Suggestions


I understand some of you don't like the baja edition, so if you don't have something constructive please move on the the next thread.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...83865102_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...16460597_o.jpg

BradyT88 04-24-2013 07:25 PM

So basically you have dropped below factory height and would like to get back to factory height?

I would do the spacer then. Seems easiest. I don't think 886's would fit your shocks, plus that is a longer stronger shock so you would likely get more lift out of it. I have added a few hundred pounds to my front end and my 886's have barely moved at all.

Boone 04-24-2013 07:26 PM

Quick and dirty, 10mm trim packer. A little more cash and effort, 886's if they will fit. Truck looks good, do what the wallet can afford and what you want. Keep us updated.

LoadedTaco 04-25-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradyT88 (Post 6793120)
So basically you have dropped below factory height and would like to get back to factory height?

I would do the spacer then. Seems easiest. I don't think 886's would fit your shocks, plus that is a longer stronger shock so you would likely get more lift out of it. I have added a few hundred pounds to my front end and my 886's have barely moved at all.

That is what I was thinking. I am pleased with the lift that came on the truck (1.5-2" I believe). It is enough for me to do everything else I want on the truck for now. I am just making sure I do something to compensate for the weight a little.

Thanks for the help.

LoadedTaco 04-25-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boone Taco (Post 6793124)
Quick and dirty, 10mm trim packer. A little more cash and effort, 886's if they will fit. Truck looks good, do what the wallet can afford and what you want. Keep us updated.

Yeah I think the trim packer is the way to go then.

LEX 04-25-2013 07:04 AM

#2 is the clear choice and start saving up for 886 springs/shocks, because your current springs will just continue to sag more with time.

Monster Coma 04-25-2013 07:09 AM

10mm trim packer and save for mid travel :D

LoadedTaco 04-25-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEX (Post 6795523)
#2 is the clear choice and start saving up for 886 springs/shocks, because your current springs will just continue to sag more with time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Coma (Post 6795538)
10mm trim packer and save for mid travel :D

Just ordered the spacers.

OZ-T 04-25-2013 08:29 AM

So

The Ironman trim packer fits your shocks ?

LoadedTaco 04-25-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6795818)
So

The Ironman trim packer fits your shocks ?

Honestly not sure. I am going to measure them once I get them and see if they will fit. If not I will just send them back or sell them on here. I can't find measurements for them. They fit 4 runners, FJ's, Land Cruisers, and tacomas.

I cannot get any information about these damn shocks because they are "for toyota" so when I called billstein they were no help.

OZ-T 04-25-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoadedTaco (Post 6795980)
Honestly not sure. I am going to measure them once I get them and see if they will fit. If not I will just send them back or sell them on here. I can't find measurements for them. They fit 4 runners, FJ's, Land Cruisers, and tacomas.

I cannot get any information about these damn shocks because they are "for toyota" so when I called billstein they were no help.

The only reason I ask is because that looks exactly like the OME trim packer except the OME trim packer is 5mm thick

The OME trim packer goes at the bottom of the coil and only works with OME shocks

This doesn't look like a top plate spacer , they usually have notches to align the spacer with the top hat studs

I may be mistaken but that what it looks like to me

LoadedTaco 04-25-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6796055)
The only reason I ask is because that looks exactly like the OME trim packer except the OME trim packer is 5mm thick

The OME trim packer goes at the bottom of the coil and only works with OME shocks

This doesn't look like a top plate spacer , they usually have notches to align the spacer with the top hat studs

I may be mistaken but that what it looks like to me

I am starting to think that those spacers are not going to fit....Damn it!

I canceled my order. I am going to leave the truck as is for now.


I have a friend who knows his stuff, but mostly about FJ's. These were his suggestion. I know they fit on stock tacoma shock. The issue is if they will fit the baja shock. The springs around my shock are 3" inside diameter. The shock body seems to be 2.5" (rough guess using a ruler.) I don't need to bring it back up. I will save for a while and upgrade to a quality mid travel in a year or two.



I would love to know if I could just swap out an OME spring.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.