Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   RUNNING BOARD OPINIONS???? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/274919-running-board-opinions.html)

whoward85 04-25-2013 10:27 AM

RUNNING BOARD OPINIONS????

I am eventually going to get 4xinnovations sliders. I am debating on whether i should take the running boards off and sell them or keep them. I do think it adds a look. but they are chrome. I HATE chrome. What do yall think?

Fluffymonkey 04-25-2013 10:38 AM

You talking about tube steps? Not sure I've seen chrome running boards on the Tacoma. If you use them, i'd keep them on. If not, may as well sell them and put money in your pocket. If you don't use them but like the look lol I guess that's up to you. Personally, I think the lines look cleaner without them.

whoward85 04-25-2013 11:01 AM

thanks man if you look close at my profile pic you will see the chrome. i guess ill just keep em on till the sliders come in,.

ChiefManyWrenches 04-25-2013 11:04 AM

I am pretty much in you exact situation. I also have a Silver Taco and have been thinking about ditching the factory running boards. They are only still on there because on normal cars, the door will hit that before the body.

choppersx 04-25-2013 11:12 AM

Personally dont like that style but if you have a hard time getting in N out or passenger. i would keep them on but if there no use for them then should be removed and sold like Matt ( Fluffymonkey) said.

YOTA LOVER 04-25-2013 11:15 AM

All Pro sliders are big enough to step on if you need help getting into the truck, keep your rockers safe, and destroy runaway family car doors in a parking lot. F-ing love mine!

whoward85 04-25-2013 12:48 PM

I agree the allpro are nice looking but i have a friend "tacoma89" whos got the 4x innovations with the kickout and they look nice and are stout. I think i will remove and wait on the sliders, honestly do yall think that these are really going to provide any protection. LOL

Also YOTA LOVER did you weld on? Some of the guys around here are telling me not to weld to the frame because it weakens it. Is this true or are they blowing smoke up my A$$?

Thanks again

aubi1414 04-25-2013 12:50 PM

Sell the chrome!!

whoward85 04-25-2013 12:52 PM

IF i do sell what do you think i could get for them or at least what should i ask?

YOTA LOVER 04-25-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoward85 (Post 6797324)
I agree the allpro are nice looking but i have a friend "tacoma89" whos got the 4x innovations with the kickout and they look nice and are stout. I think i will remove and wait on the sliders, honestly do yall think that these are really going to provide any protection. LOL

Also YOTA LOVER did you weld on? Some of the guys around here are telling me not to weld to the frame because it weakens it. Is this true or are they blowing smoke up my A$$?

Thanks again

I got the AP sliders with the "flare out" on the end, and it does just that, and the punched plates that are welded in the gaps (my wife likes to step on them).

I did not weld them onto the frame for two reasons: 1. warranty and 2. removal for touch-up. If they were going on an older truck I would weld them on and box that section of frame while I was at it just to make sure.

Jetman1979 04-25-2013 02:04 PM

Yea I am not sure of welding to the frame. Reason being that is the back bone of our trucks. If you look at big rig frames it has some warnings about welding or drilling on some areas of the frame.

YOTA LOVER 04-25-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetman1979 (Post 6797644)
Yea I am not sure of welding to the frame. Reason being that is the back bone of our trucks. If you look at big rig frames it has some warnings about welding or drilling on some areas of the frame.

In the case of gen 1 & 2 it could help, at least the AP sliders, which would add a lot of structure to the frame. The sliders also have the potential to take a lot of strain, so boxing the frame and welding the sliders really would add to the structural integrity. Could be a good move in the long-term if you're keeping the truck forever.