1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine Pinging & Disappointed with Toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SAXD Taco, May 30, 2013.

1. May 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    I've had my 2013 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport for about 4 months & 7,500 miles & so far I love it except for the engine pinging. The pinging typically happens between 1k-1.5k rpms, in 5th gear, between 40 & 45 mph while the engine is under load. However, the noise has been inconsistent at times, by which it usually happens 3 or more times in my 20 mile drive home from work, but I can't always make the engine knock when I want to.

I've taken vehicle to dealer several times over the matter. The first time they couldn't duplicate the noise, the second time they were able to verify that the engine was pinging & did not know how to remedy the problem so the technician opened a case with Toyota Technical Assistance. Toyota Technical Assistance responded to the matter claiming that it is normal for the vehicle to ping. Not being satisfied with that answer, I opened a complaint/case with Toyota Corporate about the matter. The Corporate representative, was very cooperative at first, saying that a regional factory service representative would be on site at the dealership to check out my vehicle. Then the conversation changed after he spoke to a factory service representative. Corporate is now stating that engine pinging/knocking is normal. He pointed me to look in the Owner's manual, on page 467, which states:
    If your engine knocks

Consult your Toyota dealer.

You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while
    accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for
    concern.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I am just extremely disappointed/frustrated that Toyota states that it is normal for their vehicle to ping/knock. Especially when I have spent $30k+ on the vehicle. I know that I could put 89 or 93 octane gas and that should alleviate the problem, but if the vehicle is designed to take 87, why should I spend the extra money on higher test gas. Not really sure how to proceed, or what my options are from here.

Thanks

2. May 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    Not sure about your area, but if I use BP, Shell, or Chevron around here, the knocking stops.

Only when I run cheap gas for a long time does it come back. That's just what I have noticed.

There is another thread on here talking to this more in depth. If you search around a bit, you may find something that fits for you.

Rambo54 likes this.
  3. May 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I have not noticed mine pinging but generally try to avoid 40-45 mph in 5th gear. I think it is just the low RPMs that are causing it to ping. Has it done this over several tanks of gas? Might have been some bad gas when they switched over to the summer blend.

4. May 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I can't remember where I found the article, but there was one talking about how with the increased ethanol content in gasoline, it increases the risk of pre-ignition ping. Toyota has no control over gasoline, and while it IS designed to operate on 87, Toyota does not have control over the QUALITY of the 87 octane fuel that fuel stations carry. Not their fault.

Rambo54 likes this.
  5. May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I'd run a few tanks of higher octane and see if it diminishes as engine "breaks in" and hopefully will go away.

Rambo54 likes this.
  6. May 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    13TRDsport

13TRDsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    13 Access cab TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525XL, K&N air filter, TRD Shift knob. Bilstein 5100's w\Eibach springs.
    I can almost guarantee the culprit is fuel related.

Rambo54 likes this.
  7. May 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    I had a car a long time ago that called for 87 octane. I fueled up at a Beacon station in town (do those even still exist?) and the thing pinged like crazy for that whole tank of gas. Next tank I went to Shell and put in 87 and the pinging went away. A few months later I tried an experiment, on E, put a few gallons of Beacon 87 in (different station) and it pinged like mad again. Filled the rest of the tank with Chevron 87 and in a few miles the problem went away.

The lesson to take away is that "gas is not gas". Your story sounds like another example of that.

FWIW my '12 will ping a bit going uphill in 5th at low RPM, so I kick it into 4 (slush box, not a manual). My dad's '84 pickup would ping going uphill if you come up on a good grade in 4th gear (lol, back then, in that truck, you counted to 4, not 5!). Same with his '98 4Runner and my old '04 Tacoma. Solution - downshift. Ultimately the wetware computer behind the wheel has to make the right decisions, not the digital computer under the kickpanel. :)

Rambo54 likes this.
  8. May 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Not sure if it would help depending how fast you go through a tankful, but I've heard of people adding Startron to their tank for issues like this. I don't use it on my truck or my wife's SUV but it does help on my small engine stuff.

9. May 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    I would suggest that you increase your octane or change to a major brand and keep the engine RPM up when shifting and while under acceleration. Remember just because the pump says 87 octane does not mean it is 87 octane. It could be a point or even 2 off. Also I never up shift below 2000 RPM or try and accelerate below that RPM. You may get away with ping once in a while, (by once in a while I mean almost never) but if this is a regular thing you are doing damage to the head gasket and over time it will blow.
    Serious ping/knock and you can damage the valves and or the pistons. ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  10. May 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    markhanson

markhanson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    09 Single Cab, 5 speed 4x4
    Spray painted rims
    Why are you in 5th gear at 45? I'm just then shifting to third :p

JLee likes this.
  11. May 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    themuffinman619

themuffinman619 Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Member:
    First Name:
    themuffinman
    Vehicle:
    Your moms house
    So you spent a lot of money on a truck to skimp out and run the cheap stuff? On a full tanks it only comes out to 3-4 bucks more.

12. May 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    It might say 87 on the pump but it could be 85. We had a rash of check engine lights for engine running too lean. Gas stations were getting E85 instead of the normal stuff.

13. May 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Ain't Toyota's fault, need better fuel

14. May 30, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I just noticed you said it commonly happens going into 5th at about 40-45.

I am guessing everyone is right about the gas being one factor, but I have owned and driven several different manual vehicle over the years. Every one of them had a minimum speed they liked before going into a high gear. The higher the gear, the more sensitive they were. Yes they would accelerate if you shifted at a lower speed, but slower and often with some lugging and pinging until you got up to their "good" speed.

One had to get used to each different one and get the feel down pat of when to go ahead and shift. Like someone else said I am more accustomed to going into 5th at around 60 or more. But it's only 4/5 speed manual 4 bangers that I am the most familiar with.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  15. May 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    87 on the fuel pump is OCTANE rating, not ethanol content. You can have 87 octane fuel that is E85 ethanol.

16. May 30, 2013 at 12:59 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Stop lugging your engine in 5th gear.... driving 40mph in 5th is just as bad for the engine as driving 40mpg in first.:rolleyes:

17. May 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    And using more gas!

18. May 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Typically the stations that I stop at are Shell, QT, BP, Kroger, RaceTrac. All are 87 octane and are 10% ethanol (can't find non ethanol gas in my area), which according to the owner's manual is acceptable. All stations are always super busy (no Mom & Pop fuel stations).

I might try to run mid grade or better see if the problem goes away.

19. May 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    Yes, however this vehicle is not a manual transmission, and the slushbox is computer controlled. Most of my driving to & from work is on back roads with speed limits of 40-55mph, & the transmission seems to want to shift to the highest gear as soon as possible.

20. May 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    I have a feeling that it will... Just annoying that I have to put higher octane gas in it.

Products Discussed in

To Top