1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 grey screen on backup camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TwoTacos, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    TwoTacos

TwoTacos [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DCLB Sport
    3" Leveling Kit with AAL, 5160/6112 Billsteins, LED Bed and under hood Lighting, backflip F1 tonneau cover, TRS HID Headlights, Homemade Satoshi Grill, heated seats, cluster and dash white LEDS, TPMS disable switch, ABS/VSC disable switch, fog light anytime mod, Backup Camera On anytime mod, Power locking tailgate, blue LED floor lighting c/w dimmer, tinted windows, aftermarket Nav/Audio with built in sub, aftermarket homelink.
    Over the last couple weeks my backup camera is just showing a grey screen but still has a bit of the picture (see attached), not a clear colour one as it should be.

I ruled out the actual camera in the tailgate because when I used to take off my tailgate the screen would just go blue, now it stays grey when unplugged, so I'm thinking it must be the video in the mirror that has gone bad.

I'm just out of warranty (41,000 miles), so taking it to the dealer is not my first option. Has anybody experienced this before? I've searched for a wiring diagram, but I doubt this is an issue as it's all factory, and the video has momentarily come back for a few minutes, and then back to grey.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

2. Jul 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Slightly unplugged / loose or dirty connection?

3. Jul 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Do you know anyone with a taco with the backup mirror? You could swap it just to see of it works. If it does than you need a new mirror. If not then the wiring or camera.

4. Jul 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    TwoTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DCLB Sport
    3" Leveling Kit with AAL, 5160/6112 Billsteins, LED Bed and under hood Lighting, backflip F1 tonneau cover, TRS HID Headlights, Homemade Satoshi Grill, heated seats, cluster and dash white LEDS, TPMS disable switch, ABS/VSC disable switch, fog light anytime mod, Backup Camera On anytime mod, Power locking tailgate, blue LED floor lighting c/w dimmer, tinted windows, aftermarket Nav/Audio with built in sub, aftermarket homelink.
    I checked all the connections, the plug by the mirror, the two connectors by the drivers side fuse panel, and the back connector where the tailgate is connected, all are fine.

Anybody live near Winnipeg that would let me try their mirror to see if it works in my truck? I'm 90% sure it's the mirror, but hate to buy a new one and its not.

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Does your mirror still auto dim?

6. Jul 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Have you priced it? I just bought my truck yesterday and that rear view mirror was one of the things the finance guy used in his sales pitch for the extra coverage. He said the mirror alone if it needs to be replaced is $700+!! I don't know if he was lying or not...:rolleyes:

7. Jul 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Is your tailgate down? :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

8. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Helps me remember my tag number.

9. Jul 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    TwoTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Winnipeg, MB.
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD DCLB Sport
    The mirror still auto dims, but the video is just a grey screen. You can still slightly see the image. I just need to find a similar mirror to see if it is in fact the mirror. Can anybody point me to a wiring diagram? I would like to make sure I'm not missing a hidden connector that may be loose somewhere. Sucks, cause I use my backup cam a lot in the summer backing up to my boat every weekend!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top