1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Service

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rejTRD, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:10 PM
    rejTRD

rejTRD [OP] Member

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD sport
    TRD Air Intake TRD Exhaust
    I have an 06 with 93k miles. I recently called the dealer to inquire about the treansmission service and the service advisor told me that the 06 tacomas have a sealed transmission and does not require any servicing not even a fluid change. Does this sound right I'm gonna call another dealer service dept. to confirm this. I just want to put it out there and see if anyone else has this many miles and had tanny service done.

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 11:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    He's partially right.....
    The transmission uses oil called "World Standard" (not exactly sure what that means) - but you don't need to service it until like 100k miles.

He's wrong in saying that you never need to service it.

Who did you talk to the first time? Was it the service writer? Or an actual tech? I'd call back an ask again - you'll probably get a different answer. If not - tell them they're full of shit and have them look it up.

If you still don't get anywhere - call another dealer.

3. Mar 3, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    harshest

harshest I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    I called my dealer to ask them the same thing. I have an 05 Prerunner. First off they quoted me (in MI) $130 to flush the system and $65 to drop the pan and replace the filter. The service guy told me (and I am sure others can confirm this) that when you drop the pan you don't get all the fluid out you just get what is in the pan. When you flush the system they get all the old fluid out and new fluid in.

If you look here it only mentions servicing the transmission first at 60,000 then again at 120,000 if towing a lot, otherwise there is no mention of automatic transmission service.

Products Discussed in

To Top