1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camper Shell Visibility

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jackrules, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    Hi Guys,

I'm 19 and I'm looking at getting a camper shell for my double cab long bed Tacoma.

My parents are worried that it will limit visibility out of the truck too much.

Can anyone with a camper shell elaborate on how the camper shell (Snug Top) will limit visibility?

I've noticed that when I check my blind spot, I tend to look out the back seat windows on my double cab, not over the bed, so I assume it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Will it affect my rear view mirror visibility? Again, it seems to me like, the rear view mirror would just look through the rear window on the camper shell.

I have a chance to get an awesome deal on a snug top tomorrow –*I just need to convince my parents. (I'll be paying for it, but they are looking out for my safety, so it's not a matter of money fort them).

Thanks,

Jack

2. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Had a number of camper tops in the past, they are nice if you really need them but they do of course hinder your line of sight.

I prefer not to have one if I do not need one. On my tacoma I have not purchased one since I have need for a camper anymore.

Campers are not cheap for nice models that look good.

3. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:19 PM
    monkeyface

monkeyface Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '90,'97,'12,'05 Tundra 4.7,'07 T4R 4.7,'08 T4R 4.7
    It won't hamper rear visibility at all.

Shell or not, I like to put spot mirrors on the outside rearviews.

4. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It obviously limits visibilty compared to no cap , but I've never felt I couldn't see enough to confidently change lanes

I use my side mirrors as well as check over my shoulder

5. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    They do limit visibility. Not enough though that it would out weigh the benefits of having one, for me anyway. Snugtop does make a XV shell, XV is extra vision. The windows are considerably larger.

6. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I don't see the visibility hinderance to be a problem and it seems like you guys agree.

I prefer to not have a shell, but going to college in Oregon, the bed is basically going to be useless without a shell.

7. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Maybe a tonneau cover would suit your needs better?

8. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    I'd like to be able to transport multiple mountain bikes and for other reasons I just would enjoy the height that a camper allows for cargo and camping, etc.

A camper shell is perfect for my needs, I just need to convince my parents that visibility won't become a safety issue while driving if I have a camper.

9. Sep 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    You have a DC. The camper shell won't limit your visibility nearly as much as your parents are making it out to be. When I shoulder check, I look out the rear door windows and my camper shell does not block anything noticeably. Through the rear view mirror, it does lessen the viewable area in the mirror, but not nearly to an unsafe level. You just need to be confident in your driving ability.

The only substantial thing that I have noticed (and take it how you will) is that the auto dimming rear view mirror doesn't auto dim. Ever. Because it has 3 pieces of tinted glass to see through, so it's unnecessary.

Other than that, the only suggestion I could make is you should always back in to parking spots, or pull through. That's the only time that the shell sides will REALLY block your view, is when trying to back out of a parking spot.

10. Sep 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info.

I'm glad to have people backing up my claims that I "blind spot" check through the back seat windows.

Thanks for the tip on backing in, I always do that anyway! I find it hard to turn into spots going forward.

11. Sep 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I've got the Snugtop Supersport and have no trouble seeing out the back... even while launching a boat.

12. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    MarkH

MarkH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    I have a Leer 180CC, with solid doors, so my vision is greatly obstructed. I recently added the Pro EFX tow mirrors, a great upgrade. Though if you adjust the side mirrors correctly you can almost eliminate the blind spots.

13. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    I can't comment on a 2nd gen, but on my 95 Xtra cab, and my 04 double cab, when the camper shell's were on them the visibility when backing up at night (if you looked out the back window) was gone, and it slightly blocked the driving view, but nothing to worry about.

I took the shells of because my quad wouldn't fit in the bed, and i don't care for the look of the trucks with the shells on.

14. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    People need to learn to effectively use their mirrors

15. Sep 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    Years ago I used to drive a big refrigerated cube truck that had zero viz straight out of the back. It didn't have a rearview mirror at all - side mirrors only. It was a beast, but a good learning tool. Wide angle mirrors were a must on that rig.

If you learn the size of your vehicle and its position relative to others on the road you are all good. I love my Snugtop shell. Be safe.

16. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gotta disagree with the crowd. The shell inhibits your view tremendously. Now, the thing is, it's not usually that big a deal unless you're backing up. You'll be able to pull off lane changes safely. But since my last truck, which did have a shell, I've moved into a neighborhood on a cul-de-sac with a lot of young kids and one deaf dog (and a few others which may as well be) running all over the place and there's no way I'm putting on a shell here as I'd eventually run somebody's pet or kid over. If I had the rear-view camera or a decent backup sensor option, that would be a different story, but I don't so for now, no way. Might do a softtopper and leave it folded down most of the time.

17. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Rear view camera FTW

18. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    SalmonTaco

SalmonTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Naches
    Vehicle:
    08 Silver TRD Sport
    Brute Force bumpers, TRD FauxLocks, 5100s & 885s, Falken Wildpeaks, SnugTop MVP Shell, Tuffy Bed Box, Console Vault, Fogs anytime, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Wet Okoles, aFe Pro Dry S, PowerStop Z36 pads & drilled/slotted rotors, more shit I can't remember
    For changing lanes?

19. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    jackrules

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    He is referring to backing up, not changing lanes.

Thanks for all the input guys!

20. Sep 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    surferkid

surferkid Zombie Killer

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 2.7 5spd
    camper, thule board racks, wet okole seat covers, AFE dry filter, smittybilt light bar
    love my camper shell and it i don't have any trouble seeing out the back even at night and my tint is pretty dark on the camper. +1 on using your mirrors only thing i use when i back my ambulance in the ER bays just got to know what you are doing and not be a female ;P

Products Discussed in

To Top