1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Bushwacker Fender Flare Installation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wildcat, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 19, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Wildcat

Wildcat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4X4 DCSB Pyrite Mica
    BDS 6" body lift Partial debadge Bushwacker Fender Flares Westin Bull Bar All windows tinted 35%
    I just recently installed a new set of Bushwacker Pocket Style fender flares on my 2013 DCSB. These come with installation instructions, but some of the steps aren’t totally clear so I thought if anyone else performed this mod some pictures might help. They come flat black with silver metal bolts. I had the flares painted to match my truck and the color is spot on.

[​IMG]

I am going with an all-black accessory theme with mine so first I spray painted the bolts and washers using primer and then matte black. I just used a cardboard box with holes punched in it to old the bolts. I put down a piece of wax paper to try and prevent the bolts and washers from sticking to the cardboard. It worked pretty well.

[​IMG]

Then you attach all of the bolts around the edge of the fender flare. The factory fenders and mud flaps have to be removed which is really easy. I started with the back ones. Just take out the bolts on the underside of the wheel well and pull from the bottom on one side and work the rest of the way around. It will pop right off.

[​IMG]

The main flare on the front comes off the same and is just as easy, but don't forget to take out the two bolts up under the wheel well in the middle.

[​IMG]

It pops right off. You have to take some pliers and turn out the plastic clips that held them on. The blue ones come out real easy, but the orange ones will fight a little.

[​IMG]

The small flare on the front bumper was kind of difficult to remove only due to the clips holding it in place. First you must remove the two screws on the bottom edge of the bumper holding on part of the black plastic wheel well. Then pull it toward the wheel and down to expose the blue clips that need to be removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are seven that have to be removed and about three of them are hard to get to, but it can be done.

[​IMG]

There is one clip at the top hiding that you have to get to through a hole in the wheel well.

[​IMG]

I used a flat head screwdriver to push the tab on the clips to get them out. Like I said, this part wasn't very fun, but it is doable. Once the clips are out, the front piece will fall right off.

[​IMG]

Next I put on the rubber stripping that comes in the kit. Just do as the directions say, pull a little bit of it off and push it around the edge. Goes on easy and just cut it off when you get to the end point. Make sure you know exactly where the end point is before cutting though. May have to hold it up next to the truck to see where it makes contact. Pretty straight forward though.

[​IMG]

Then you're ready for installation. The rear ones just line up with the factory holes and you just put in the bolts that are supplied with the kit and tighten down. Be sure not to over tighten because they are just screwing into plastic. There is a little spacer that goes on at the back end to add additional support.

[​IMG]

The front two pieces bolt together and then are placed onto the truck as one piece. There are two black clips per flare on the front that use two little black screws to hold it up in the middle. Follow the directions by marking the spot where they need to be and stick the clip in the sheet metal with the hole facing downward.

[​IMG]

Three bolts go on the rear and one bolt on the front, then the two little screws in the middle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front piece that attaches to the bumper needs to have two holes drilled through it for the flare to be attached. You are just drilling through the plastic bumper, so it is real easy. There are four longer bolts that match the other 42 little ones and this is where they go. Bolt them on and the fenders are installed!

[​IMG]

Go back and lift up the piece of black plastic wheel well and use the screws you removed to reattach it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is all there is to it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty easy and mostly straight forward, just takes a little time. I'm guessing it took me about 3 hours or so total. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

2. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    oh crap its him

oh crap its him Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    OH->SLC,UT->SA,TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Lift, Wheels, Lights
    Looks awesome man! Can't wait to install mine weekend. Quick question though, did you have to paint the washers? I am painting the bolt heads, but wasn't sure if the washers stuck out enough to need painted.

3. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    fenderpicks

fenderpicks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man those pocket style looks pimpin

I would love to get some of those flares... but man $500 for the set.... and additional to get it paint matched =(
    I am too poor for that lol

4. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    I agree. I was shocked when I saw the price...

5. Sep 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    BDS 6" body lift Partial debadge Bushwacker Fender Flares Westin Bull Bar All windows tinted 35%
    I did paint the washers because they stick out a little past the bolt head. Not sure it would be too noticeable unless you looked close. Look at the closer picture I have of the flares on the bumper and you can kind of see the washers. I just figured I'd do it before installation because once they're on, if you want to change them, the flare has to come back off.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah they aren't cheap and getting a quality paint job isn't cheap either, but it's one mod that I think really dressed up the truck. Guess I'm spending it on flares rather than a better sound system, fuzzy dice, food for the baby, etc. ... ;)

VikingGuy187 likes this.
  7. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    oh crap its him

oh crap its him Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shannon
    OH->SLC,UT->SA,TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR
    Lift, Wheels, Lights
    Thanks! I just went ahead and painted them. I'll post up pics when I get them installed.

8. Sep 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    Looks great painted! I was originally planning to color match mine, but I figured with black bumpers, black sliders (on the way) and the black roof racks, the black bushwackers would blend in nicely on MGM. I didn't have to deal with the front bumper stuff either :D I might try to plastidip the bolt heads tho.
    [​IMG]

9. Sep 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    That looks good with the other mods you have! I'm planning to plastidip the other chrome things on mine as well.

10. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I'm real happy with it. The bushwackers makes a pretty smooth transition from the front bumper. Once my sliders are on I'll have a black outline around the bottom of my truck :D
    Your truck is looking great too! :)

11. Sep 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM
    BTM24

BTM24 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Salina/Olathe, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 Trd Sport
    BHLM
    Looks great. I get that they extend a few inches below the body but are there any flaps that are compatible with these?

12. Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    JCHolland91

JCHolland91 Member

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Those look sick! Definitely going to have to put some on my sport!

13. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I like them

I did a search for compatible mudflaps and haven't found anything that are factory molded for Bushwackers. However, simple flat aftermarket flaps would bolt on pretty easy with a little shimming up of the bolt indentions with some washers in the flares.

14. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    I have pics of what I did for mudflaps on page 3 of my build thread, along with a few pics of the truck from the rear.

15. Sep 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    Turned out awesome. X2 on the black accessories on pyrite. It's a great color for it.

16. Sep 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm considering doing something like that. We live on a gravel road and don't want the rocks chewing up my paint. Thanks for the idea!

17. Sep 21, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Ghostrider757

Ghostrider757 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Truck looks familiar ;)

Lookin good bro.

18. Sep 21, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    BLOODYMARY

BLOODYMARY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Double
    AFE Exhaust, AFE Panel Filter
    zu2ydemu_e35cd63debff0126347edd021cc14624a1746745.jpg

Love mine! Installed last night!

lukefndavis likes this.
  19. Sep 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Very familiar .. :) Thanks!

20. Sep 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Wildcat

Member:
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Looks good! I kinda like them black to match the rest of your black accents

Products Discussed in

To Top