1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD vs SR5 Discussion

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by yarro, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    yarro

yarro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off Road DCSB
    TREX Eyelids. RIGID Fogs Toyota Skid Plate. AVID Light Bar. Rigid SR 20"Combo LED bar OEM Toyota Running Boards, LEER Canopy RIGID Roof Rack - COMPLETE. FJ cruiser Switch panel install in center isle. (4 new slots for OEM switches) Glove box & Center counsel Lighting with amber switch.
    Hey guys so your probably thinking dont we already have enough threads concerning teh comparison of the two trims? however this is a diffrent case. please read on.

I purchased a new 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road truck off off a toyota lot in WA (LARSON- btw dont buy there) in 2011. Recently i checked the VIN online and it came up as a SR5 model.. this through me off and got me concerned. Why would a TRD come up as a SR5.

2 things you should know,
    1) I had problems with LARSON, with previous auto (VW.. pshhh garbage compared to Toyota. well maybe it was just me but i had so many problems with that car) The only reason i traded it in is becuase i wasnt educatedon the Lemon law, and they were giving the most for it for trade in , since it was off their lot. and i was buying from them again. (I should have waited)

2)The truck was inside on the floor already equiped with the Lift toy, TRD Ivan Stewarts, and BF goodrich tires, RR Lock, Fog Lights, Downhill Assist, Etc

Heres my question did they sell me a SR5 by simply adding stickers and a lift and charge me for a TRD? However the truck had everything installed on it such as Rear Differntial lock, Fog lights, downhill assist like you would see on a TRD. i guess they could transform a SR5 into a TRD and sell it as TRD but i just wanted to make sure i didnt get scammed for a second time..

should i be concerned?

Please share your input and thoughts.

2. Nov 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    trdoffroad18

trdoffroad18 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    georgia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road v6
    access roll up cover, 15% tint, paint matched grille, pop n lock tailgate lock, interior LEDS,
    well honestly if it has all the things you listed its more than likely a trd package just something was wrong in the system and listed it as an sr5...

3. Nov 9, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    I agree with this ^^ I doubt they added all that TRD stuff to an SR5...
    Actually, they did add all that... At the factory :)

4. Nov 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    I have my doubts that a dealership would go through all that trouble just for a few thousand dollar difference. What source are you using to check on the VIN?

5. Nov 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    If you have downhill assist and a rear locking differential, you have a TRD Off-road. Unless the switches aren't factory or look like they were put in after the fact. I'm sure you're fine, I wouldn't trust the website you used.

6. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    All trd models are sr5...

7. Nov 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is a good point right here!

Plus you have to swap the entire rear axle to convert a non TRD Offroad to a TRD Offroad. The Offroads run a different rear axle than all of the other models because of the E-locker.

8. Nov 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    yarro

yarro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    11' TRD Off Road DCSB
    TREX Eyelids. RIGID Fogs Toyota Skid Plate. AVID Light Bar. Rigid SR 20"Combo LED bar OEM Toyota Running Boards, LEER Canopy RIGID Roof Rack - COMPLETE. FJ cruiser Switch panel install in center isle. (4 new slots for OEM switches) Glove box & Center counsel Lighting with amber switch.
    Thanks guys!!! I didnt know what to think, so a little info and thoughts helped alot:))) i can now be calm:)

Products Discussed in

To Top