1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Mother of all gas mileage tests....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by geezer, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Sep 20, 2007 at 3:44 PM
    geezer

geezer [OP] Active Member

Member:
    ...sorta. More like the semi-definitive/your results may vary/it worked for me/not exactly scientific, old guy's observations on fuel consumption under the following conditions:

the ride: 06, v6, auto, K&N drop in, Gibson cat back.

the driver: old but not slow, not usually in a hurry but drive with a purpose, don't really care how fast you can pass me, do nail it thru a couple of gears on a regular basis.

the route: mostly rural roads and state hiways, in and out of town every day, not many stop lights. No city driving and maybe 50 miles a tank on the hiway.

the conditions: 5000'+, not many flat roads around, midrange octane = 87, hi test octane = 91, AC on when needed (most afternoons), I generally let the trans shift between 2,000 & 2500 rpm, no cruise control, regular fuel..no oxygenated (oxy-junk) fuel.

the quest: salesman said 'put reglar in her grandpa', book said midrange (with hi test for 'added' performance), Service manager said computer not that smart...mid range. So..does Hi test make a difference?

the test: 3 tanks of mid range; 3 tanks of hi test (and a tank of 93 octane at the end...scarce and pricey.....just for shitsNgrins). Same station/brand for each.

the results: mid range averaged 19.5 (19.2, 19.9, 19.5) give or take a tenth. hi test averaged 20.0 (19.9, 20.0, 20.2) give or take a tenth, 93 octane? save ur $$...19.5 (service manager partially right..computer not that smart).

observations: hi test did do better (if you get better mileage with a different octane, under similiar conditions...the motor's happier with that octane) The $$ are close to a wash...5 tenths better = 10 miles more per tank @ 20 gallon fill. At $3 a gallon that a buck 50; hi test here is 10 cents a gallon more or 2 bucks more a 20 gallon fill...your call. But I can think of a lot dumber ways to blow 50 cents. But then of course your results may vary.....

............geezer

2. Sep 20, 2007 at 5:36 PM
    ORVA

ORVA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green OR TRD
    Geezer, you have confirmed my earlier calculations I did on my '85 S-10. It had a 2.8 V6 and a 11 gallon tank, four speed (which needed a fifth). I had the same experience. No real change in cost but getting the extra mileage out of tankful on a long trip was worth it. Thanks for the update with a newer truck.

3. Sep 21, 2007 at 4:04 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Good job on that test! Yeah, the V6 runs a bit better on mid-grade, but on the 2.7L it makes no difference.

4. Sep 21, 2007 at 7:07 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Geezer what your low grade there? Here low is 87, mid=89, and high=92. I've used all three in my truck with no real difference so I stick with the 87.

5. Sep 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM
    geezer

geezer [OP] Active Member

Member:
    TRD - We are blessed with 85 octane regular. Presumably, because of the altitude, we can get by with 2 points lower across the board. Actually it's a parts cleaner grade of gasolne. I treat my lower mowers, garden tractors, weed wackers and chain saws better than that. Why folks spend big $$ for a vehicle and run cheap gas and oil in it is waaayyy beyond me. But hey!! your results may vary.

................geezer

6. Sep 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    Hi All
    I decided to get a laptop with wireless capability and take along with me on my travels and still keep intouch with the forum.
    This thread caught my eye and since I am on the road doing my great adventure, I figure I would throw in my gas mileage numbers. On reg gas, Shell in particular, with a 4.0l auto drive, I average about 21mpg. On Hess, it drops down to 18 which I think is a significant drop. Mobile is about 19.3, same as with exxon. On another note is cost of fuel. New Jersey is $2.47 for reg, NY upstate is $2.89 unless your near a city where it goes to $2.97. Worst price is on Cape Cod, one particular gas station on rt 28 between Hyannis and Falmouth where it was $4.00 for reg. Obviously the gas station was empty of customers and I solely believe the owner was on Birdjuice.
    The journey continues....................
    I have also updated my truck with a A.R.E. Z series cap and step tubes from toyota which happen to match the silver paint almost perfect. Will take pics shortly and download them to here.

7. Sep 24, 2007 at 8:50 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Glad to have you back sunruner, how have you been?

as far as the gas issue, i seem to get better mileage using 89 over 87 or 91. I have been using 89 for months now.

Products Discussed in

To Top