1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob asks: Casual ramp kits?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jaymoussy, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM
    jaymoussy

jaymoussy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA, US
    Vehicle:
    '12 AC Base 2.7l 4a
    New to the Taco and trucks, I never had, or used a ramp, and would like to load up a smallish snowblower this week.

Low-duty ramps kits from Lowes / H-D (wood + aluminun tailgate end pieces)?

I will load a 530 lbs bike some time later, so I will need better, but don't have the time for that now

2. Feb 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    You could use the ones from Lowes for now. I know some people that have had incidents with the boards slipping out from under them when loading/unloading. Just be safe with those because all they really do is hang on the tailgate. No real sense of security either. Just my opinion.

3. Feb 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I bought a ramp from tractor supply. It's a tri fold, so it's nice an wide and all one unit. I also ratchet strap it to the tow package to secure it. It was about $100.

4. Feb 1, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    PabloPicasso

PabloPicasso Member

Member:
    Southeast Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Welcome!! To be completally honest if money is no issue go to a four wheeler store or motorcycle store or basically anything like that and pick up a set of ramps. They are aluminum, have rubber coated ends on the side that lays on the tailgate and they usually are $100-$200 depending on the load rating. Basically the main difference between these and the tractor supply ones is these are individually ramps not a solid so it makes transporting them easier IMHO.

5. Feb 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Take the tailgate off and put the ends of the ramps on the back end of the bed, this will prevent bending the tailgate. It only takes seconds to remove the tailgate and put it back on.

6. Feb 1, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Keep your eye out for a trailer in the meantime. They can be had for cheap used and loading stuff is much easier IMO. I have a couple.:cool:

7. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I think I bought the same one to load my 4 wheeler. Tri fold, 1600lb capacity, $99 @ tractor supply. Very sturdy & secure. The break over angle might be a little sharp for a bike depending on its ground clearance and wheelbase... But tractor supply has a good selection so you should be able to find something that fits your needs there..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  8. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Sounds like the same that I have. I agree the angle is kinda steep. I find it easier to try and find a slope to back up to and use that to decrease the angle.

9. Feb 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Not a bad idea for heavy stuff. That's what i did when I had an engine in the back and had to pull it out of my bed over my ramp.

Harbor Freight has a 1500# tri fold for $99 and it usually goes on sale for $75 (what I paid). Friend them on fakebook and sign up for their e-mails and they will send you coupons. Ive had mine for almost 5 years with zero issues. I run a ratchet strap from the ramp back to the bumper so it never slips out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top