1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trailer hitch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Donald Kane, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Mar 25, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Donald Kane

Donald Kane [OP] New Member

Member:
    Apache Junction AZ
    Vehicle:
    prerunner sr5
    looking to add a hitch to my truck its a 2005 where can I get one with spending a arm and a leg!!!

2. Mar 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    Hardcorehehaw

Hardcorehehaw 1 man wolf pack

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray PreRunner
    Debadged, 20" Liquid Metal Magmas, Yokohama Parada Spec x 285/50/20, Llumar clear bra, Fold-A-Cover G4, Weathertech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, JBS technologies keyless entry keypad.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Mar 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Uhall put one on my friends truck for 250.00

4. Mar 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^The best thread ever.

5. Mar 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I got a Curt hitch for around $150 and a T-One plug & play wiring harness for about $40 from eTrailer.com (shipping is free on orders over $150). My brother and I installed it.

6. Mar 26, 2009 at 4:29 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I did the same thing but also ordered the drawbar and ball from eTrailer in the same order. Everything was bubble wrapped with no scratches on anything.

7. Mar 26, 2009 at 4:44 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Be sure to use the proper wiring harness adapter. All of the light plugs for my '09 were behind the tail lights which you had to unbolt which was no big deal so you did not have to do any wire splicing. Mine was plug and play. Installation instructions come with the wiring harnesses also. Usually you can find the isntructions online also.

8. Mar 26, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    Cap

Cap Active Member

Member:
    Montgomery County, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
    I just put mine on this weekend - etrailer.com has a great site for researching by make and model; however, I found the Valley Hitch and Valley plug-n-play wire harness on Amazon all for under $150.00 w/free shipping. Intallation of the Valley hitch took less than an hour and I didn't have to remove the bumper (I just had to retro-fit the plugs that came out of the bumper so they fit back in afterward - imo this was the most time consuming part of the installation). The wiring harness takes about 30 minutes. Now I'm ready 2 pull my jon boat & do some fish'in!!

9. Mar 26, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
  10. Mar 27, 2009 at 6:24 AM
    Cap

Cap Active Member

Member:
    Montgomery County, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5
  11. Mar 27, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    stormyday

stormyday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morganton, NC
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco Double Cab Pre-Runner
    Thanks!!! That is what I am looking for. I don't want to pay the stealership $100 for one.

Just about everyone I see is putting a hitch on theirs. Whatever happen to just using the bumper... especially for the light weight occasional user a myself? I plan on pulling a small lawnmower trailer or PWC at most... and that would be over a short distance and at low speeds.

12. Mar 27, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    okie7481

okie7481 Okie Boy

Member:
    I've been to U-Haul twice now for hitches. They do a great job and a quick job and costs $250. Which I think is a great deal!

13. Mar 27, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    I think you'd be just fine towing that kind of load with a ball on the bumper. I don't know if the '09 bumper structure underneath (where the ball would attach to) was strengthened for '09 or not, but after reading some of the comments on here, I expected it to be pretty flimsy. I was surprised at how stout it looked when I was under there installing my hitch. You'd be perfectly fine towing the kind of load you mentioned. Besides, you can always add a frame-mounted hitch later if your needs change. $10 ball vs. $150 hitch for what YOU need to pull? No brainer.

I'm planning to occasionally tow an 18' boat with mine (2000-2500 lbs depending on fuel/gear load), so I felt like I needed something a little stronger - otherwise I would have just put a ball on the bumper and called it a day myself.

14. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I thought about using the bumper mount to pull my 16 'boat, it was rated for the weight of the boat. The problem was going to be the day I needed to rent a U-Haul or pull a buddy's boat or something else. For the price of the Curt hitch I don't have any worries. The limits are now the rated amount for the truck instead of the rated amount for the bumper. The peace of mind was worth every penny.

15. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I also used etrailer.whatever and bought the curt, the harness I bought came from either wally world or an autozone, but it was plug and play, the only thing I did was use an existing threaded nut to ground the harness, I had to lenghten the adaptor ground to do this. Did it myself, had to pull the bumper off, and an impact wrench helps but can be done with basic hand tools, just make sure to torque the bolts down good, I just hit them with my impact wrench and they haven't gone anywhere.

[​IMG]

16. Mar 27, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    RobK

RobK Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 w/Tow
    TRD offroad/racing Intake, pioneer bluetooth headunit, wetsuit seat covers, weathertech floorliners, Bully side step bars, tailgate security mod, rear aux halogen lights, BHLM, Upper and Lower Grillcraft Grills, Relocated Horns, Mag-lite mounts, pop lock, truxedo tonneau, PUTCO window visors, spidertraxspacers f&r, , bilstein 5100s set @ 0 with stock coils in front and TSB AAL in rear w/ 5100s .
    I have been told that adding an aftermarket hitch alone can void the warranty. I bought my truck with the tow package which included a beefed up the alternator and a tranny cooler. I have heard this from a few mechanics and they solely recommend installing the entire package to their toyota customers.

17. Mar 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    Transmission coolers are for automatics only - due to the heat the torque converter generates. They don't put 'em on manuals (mine is a manual). The stock alternator is plenty strong enough to run the two extra tail/brake lights on my boat trailer or small utility trailer. Now, if you're pulling a huge camper with lots of marker lights and electric trailer brakes, then the larger alternator might be a good idea.

18. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    okie7481

okie7481 Okie Boy

Member:
    Go to U Haul. They do a good job and aren't too expensive.

19. Jul 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I did the same on my '09. The Curt hitch is very nice. The wiring harness seems a tad expensive but it is plug and play. You just unbolt the taillights from the side next to the tailgate and the harness plugs right with no splicing. The '09 might be different from the '05 because of the LED lights. Many of the online dealers that offer the harness also have online installation instructions you can browse before you order. If you don't want to mess with it yourself the local shop I got my stuff from charged $40 for labor to install the hitch and harness.

20. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I went Uhaul, they were the cheapest and had free shipping (t's really a valley hitch with a Uhaul sticker). It mounts the same as the factory hitch by bolting to the frame and the rear bumper. The others mount between the bumper mounts and frame so it's a bit harder to install. Only con is that when bolted to the bumper the plastic bumper pop-off covers don't fit anymore.

Products Discussed in

To Top