1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Invisible bra

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRD Larry, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Oct 13, 2007 at 5:39 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Has anyone installed one of these on their truck? I plan on putting one on next weekend. Cover the front bumper, front of the hood and fenders. I have owned black trucks in the past and after awhile the front end looked like it was sand blasted. I had to repaint the hood and grille. Thought this time I would try one of these invisible bras. I have seen them on BMW's, Audi's etc. They seem to hold up through the years so I thought since this is a new truck I would give it a shot.

2. Oct 13, 2007 at 7:37 PM
    e.m.m

e.m.m Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 6speed
    Airaid CIA
    If your talking about the 3M tape, I'd think about how many bugs you want to have to scrub off it. I have had it save me a few chips but every time I wash my truck I have to really work at getting the squishier debris off the tape.

It will save you a whack of chips though. Also when your paint fades, I'd think that that paint wouldn't fade as much.

Careful with the pressure washing too, I've had it lift in a couple of spots, dirt gets in there....It can be a pain, I'm not sure I'd do it again.

3. Oct 14, 2007 at 11:18 AM
    bbarian333

bbarian333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06, Accesss Cab, TRD Sport
    TRD exh, K&N drop in,TRD seat cvrs,tsb springs
    Larry, are you talking about the invisible bra that they sell on E-bay? I bought the one they sell for the lower bumber area. The bottom middle piece worked great. The rest of the bumper was a little more complicated. I got a wrinkle in it, got mad and wadded it up. I do plan on getting the hood kit and maybe if i get the patience i might try the bumper again.When i bought it i thought i was getting the whole front end. I've since found out that they sell the lower bumper and upper hood separately. I wish Toyota sold the option of having your whole truck covered in the clear bra plastic. Its good stuff if you can get it installed well.

4. Oct 14, 2007 at 12:42 PM
    NVR_QUIT

NVR_QUIT My goodness, my Guinness!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd Christmas
    USA!!!!
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Sport, 11' TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift...
    First and foremost, don't get a cheap immatation clear bra...

Second, they are not cheap. The best bang for your buck is 3M tape. I had it done to my 350z and the correct way of doing it takes a while.

First they remove your front bumper and put it through a machine that heats up the plastic clear tape till it conforms to your bumper. Then it is cut and done with.

It's great for keeping your paint from getting chipped. Bt if you're off-roading, it's going to be hard reguardless. A tree branch can cut through it.

I think it's a great idea for sports cars, or anything low to the ground. It worked VERY well for my 350Z and I have no regrets. I took it off before I sold it, and it was like new underneath!

5. Oct 14, 2007 at 4:49 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry [OP] trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I am having it professionally installed. Tthey told me it would take between 3 to 6 hours. I had to get 2 kits. One kit jjust for the bumper, the second kit for the front of the hood, fenders and mirrors. I have seen this on cars not trucks and when it was installed by someone who knew whhat they were doing it came out nice.The kits had to be computer cut for the truck, it was not off the shelf. I have tried to research it and nomatter who or where you get it it alll seems to be by 3M. I like black and the last couple of trucks II had took a beaten. I drive the interstate to work and especially in the spring with all the junk on the road from the winter the front end takes a beaten after a few years. I hope this works out Ok, if it does it will be worth the money.

6. Oct 14, 2007 at 4:52 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:

That sounds expensive- but im sure its expensive to get it repainted....

Products Discussed in

To Top