1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering fluid change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BBBsti LTD, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Nov 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    BBBsti LTD

BBBsti LTD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    Are you guys changing the power steering fluids in your trucks? My reservoir shows low but there is no leaks. I wonder I i should top it off or if I should change it. The truck has 50K miles and is driven in fwy most of the time.

2. Nov 29, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    Might want to see if a mod can move this to the 2nd gen section and not marketplace.

3. Nov 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    Wow hid did this happen???? Sorry Mods, please move to the 2nd Gen or Tech forum.

Thanks

4. Nov 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM
    Foxer

Foxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab PreRunner
    really easy to do just disconnect the return hose that goes to the reservoir and stick it in a 2 liter bottle.. there is enough room to stick it inside the engine bay...

Have somsone else start the engine and keep adding fluid till it comes out clean.

like a 10 minute thing... just don't let the reservioir run dry.

I changed mine at 50k

The return hose is the hose mounted higher in the reservoir.

MountainManGuy and REDdawn6 like this.
  5. Nov 29, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    What fluid did you use?

6. Nov 30, 2014 at 7:45 AM
    BBBsti LTD

Member:
    Ashburn, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4WD
    Hiw come the PS fluid is not recommended in the owners manual? At least I haven't seen that in the intervals.

7. Nov 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You won't see power steering information in the maintenance interval. I've never seen it..... At only 50K miles, you should be fine for a long time.

The 96 I owned...my husband and I did a flush at 85K miles. The fluid they use is ATF. It's red in color and transparent. I used Mobile 1 ATF. My 96 fluid was brown...and didn't look right. So...if your fluid is brownish, cloudy, and doesn't look like red ATF, you might consider having it flushed. You can do that at home rather easily.

If your fluid looks good.... you can top it off. Just make sure you have the proper fluid.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Nov 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Do Not start the engine to flush the fluid! One misstep, and you can damage your pump. Jack the wheels up off the ground, and just turning the wheel from stop to stop will flush the fluid. Of course making sure the reservoir stays full so you don't get air in the system. And Dex 3 should be printed on the cap, if not, it's in the owners manual.

vtown, 2015WhiteOR and BassAckwards like this.
  9. Nov 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM
    Foxer

Foxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab PreRunner
    ATF.. has to be the kind with dextron 3 I believe. Been a couple years since I did it but it's in the manual.

As long as you have someone coherent sitting in the drivers seat with their hand on the key your fine... the pump sucks out of the reservoir but not fast enough that you can't keep it full. Just leave the res cap off and have a bottle opened and constantly pour into it. This can be done safely with 2 people but I wouldn't do it alone running back and forth to shut off the engine....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  10. Nov 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Moved to proper sub-forum

11. Nov 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    The only time changing the fluid is required is if it has been contaminated or if you have a foaming problem from working the pump too fast.

In my auto-x life of yore, my car would foam and overflow the reservoir sometimes. Changing to Valvoline synthetic PS fluid fixed that in that car, no other work required.

If you want to make it better by refreshing the fluids additive package, you can do a partial drain fill. Simply remove the fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster or a syringe from your local large animal vet, then top up with new fluid of the proper and compatible type. No running, no disassembly, no risk.

If you want even more, you can drive it for a week (the residual in the rack and the new will mix) and do it again. Any 'old' will be virtually gone by then.

There is no service interval or recommended replacement. The fluid just doesn't wear out in this application.

However, if you have fluid missing, you have a problem. I know you said it doesn't have leaks. Well, it doesn't evaporate either. So keep an eye on the level and keep looking for the location of the loss. ;)

OG_Tacoma likes this.
  12. Nov 30, 2014 at 4:13 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Really easy to do. No need to start anything. Jack it up, turn the wheels and in between turns, fill the reservoir with new fluid until the fluid comes out clean.

13. Nov 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    To elaborate further.... The pump isn't doing anything until you turn the wheel .... even if the truck is running.

As long as you keep the reservoir full the entire time, turn the wheels slowly from lock to lock. I bought the cheapest ATF I could find to flush with and then used Mobile 1 ATF to flush out the cheap shit and final fill & burping.

14. Nov 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    Foxer

Foxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab PreRunner
    To each his own... as long as all the dirty fluid comes out and clean goes in and nothing get F'd up in the process.

15. Nov 30, 2014 at 6:26 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    Do whatever you like, but what's served me for years is a simple rotation drain of the power steering reservoir.

Every time I change oil, I siphon and refill it.

stvhwrd likes this.
  16. Dec 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not sure, if its in the book but around 5 Years for brakes and ps.

17. Dec 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Mine has been in there almost ten years. Probably time to change it.

18. Dec 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    I just changed my fluid this past weekend. I removed the skidplate and found a place where the return hose went into a hard line and disconnected it there. It's the lowest location in the system. Then I raised the front wheels and turned side to side to squeeze out more fluid. I pretty sure I got most of the old fluid out this way.
    Put it back together, filled the res and started it up, turned the wheels some more while adding fluid. Done !
    1 qt is plenty

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    TheDevilYouLove likes this.
  19. Dec 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    ^^^^^
    Exactly the way to do a flush. Gets fluid running though not only the lines, but the entire rack as well.

20. Apr 28, 2015 at 11:31 AM
    Pete0247

Pete0247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2007 BSP DCSB TRD Off Road
    5000K headlights, 3000K fogs, fog mod, 2014 LED tail lights with LED reverse lights, interior LED dome/map, and license plate lights, Pioneer radio, WeatherTech window visors, 20% tint, bed door locks, Mobil 1 synthetic fluids throughout
    I just ordered some Amsoil ATF with some extra to do the power steering flush as well... Then I got to looking around, and noticed Amsoil recommends this kind for power steering....
    Will the extra fluid I ordered for the transmission flush work for power steering also, or should I order the other kind it recommends?
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top