1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to adjust Fox 2.5 no resi

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SexyTaco, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Feb 14, 2015 at 2:38 PM
    SexyTaco

SexyTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    Fox MId-Travel and OME leaf packs with BAMF 12" shock relocation. Relentless Fab front bumper and custom rear bumper custom rock sliders. Other little stuff as well.
    Maybe I got bad coilovers or something, but mine only have one adjustment collar for the coil and all the others I've been seeing have the one on top too. Anyway, this collar has little holes and I can't use a spanner wrench on them. They have an Allen screw in the side I'm assuming you use to loosen the collar to move it. After squirting a little WD-40on it I tried loosening it a little and sticking an Allen wrench in the hole to turn it but it started to crush the sides of the holes a little so I stopped. I don't want to loosen it any more because I don't want to die. Do I need a special wrench or just need to be more intelligent about my rigging?

2. Feb 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    You should post some pictures of what your collar looks like.

3. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    Fox MId-Travel and OME leaf packs with BAMF 12" shock relocation. Relentless Fab front bumper and custom rear bumper custom rock sliders. Other little stuff as well.
    I'm not really sure how to post pictures to the post but maybe this worked

20150214_175450.jpg

4. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    TRSJimmy

TRSJimmy All I Do Is Nguyen

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Gainesville, GA
    Vehicle:
    12' Mall Crawlin Peerunner
    Yeap, you're missing your locknut. Anyways, did you jack up the truck before adjusting it?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    trexTRD

trexTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Fox All Around, MaxTracs, Black & Red Leather Seats, Straight Pipe, and other crap...
    Thats how its suppose to look, you need a spanner wrench to adjust it

6. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM
    trexTRD

Member:
    California
    Fox All Around, MaxTracs, Black & Red Leather Seats, Straight Pipe, and other crap...
    you loosen up the allen wrench screw, that what "locks" the collar from it moving anywhere after your done adjusting, loosing up this screw wont do anything but allow you to turn the collar with the spanner wrench(hard to do) but you will get it done.

7. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    That is how they are now. The old versions had the dual rings, but now there is only one. Did you loosen the allen nut on the left side of the picture first? That needs to be loose then use either an spanner wrench or some people have used screw drivers or punches to adjust. Once done, retighten that nut and you're good to go.

8. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:26 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    Well I haven't even got them on yet. I was going to try even give the drivers side just a little more preload to compensate for the weight and try and swing the allen bolt around so in a few weeks when they are broken in I can adjust them without completely taking them out. I stuck the bottom part in a vice with a t shirt wrapped around it so I could actually work with it so it's completely extended.

9. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    So how far can I run out the allen screw? and will just a regular spanner wrench work with the holes?

10. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:28 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    i ordered then from down south motosports and when i called they said i didn't need a spanner wrench

11. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    Thegenerik1

Thegenerik1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB OR
    Locknut?

12. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    You need a Fox spanner wrench as they are all different, but I'd get a screwdriver or something similar and try it.

In regards to the nut, just back it out enough that it feels a bit loose. Don't take it all the way out.

13. Feb 14, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    trexTRD

Member:
    California
    you can take the allen screw out and it wont do anything, its just a screw that basically locks it in place when your done doing the adjustment.

14. Feb 14, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    Bullaculla uses a drill bit that is the exact size fit for those spanner wrench holes and turns the collar with that. It'll be hard to spin it if it's not installed on your truck. ;)

15. Feb 14, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    Take a look at the picture, it is not a set screw. The allen screw on his might not be a good idea to take all the way out. Those threads are pretty shallow and if that collar expands too much, wouldn't the pressure from the spring blow that thing apart. Maybe I'm wrong, but my Icons have a set screw but it does not hold the ring collar together.

OP, make sure someone who truly knows about this helps you first. That spring is under a lot of pressure. Make sure you know for sure before you back that screw out. Good luck.

16. Feb 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    You can go to a hardware store and get a weird looking tool almost like a t handle or a long screwdriver but with a hex head on it, thats what I use

17. Feb 14, 2015 at 5:17 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    I did use drill bits to try at first but i was afraid I'd break them but ill try again. so what i need to do is just slightly loosen the allen bolt and while the shock is on my truck,( with it decompressed)turn the collar to fit? Or can i just completely take it out? It looked to me like it could explode. TrexTRd, do you know for sure i can back it all the way out?

18. Feb 14, 2015 at 5:22 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    Also, sorry it took so long to get back. I cooked steaks for my girlfriend. Dropped one walking inside from the grill and then spilled have a thing of salad dressing in the floor. been a good valentines.

scottalot likes this.
  19. Feb 14, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    SexyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Siloam, North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 6 speed
    Alright! Thanks guys. so put it on my truck and loosen the screw a few turns and then set it right? i really don't like the collar design. the other is a lot safer.

20. Feb 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    yeos

yeos OCD Member

Member:
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC TRD OR 2007 Lexus GX
    It is a safe design. I've used Ground Control / Eibach coilovers on other vehicles which use a similar lock ring / spring perch.

Products Discussed in

To Top