1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Crazy 07 Taco Acceleration Defect

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cuzv, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:43 AM
    cuzv

cuzv [OP] Member

Member:
  2. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:57 AM
    cuzv

cuzv [OP] Member

Member:
    I really can't figure out what is more dumb- these people not throwing the truck into neutral (which you should probably be able to do, even with an automatic transmission), or the old guy they interviewed who paid $30k for an 07 extended cab Tacoma...

3. Nov 6, 2007 at 9:26 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    At least they didn't sensationalize it at all...:rolleyes:
    They did give the stats right before cutting to the next topic.
    178,000 sold
    20 complaints.

That's a 0.0112% complaint percentage.

To put it another way, that's 99.9888% no complaints.

4. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:04 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sound like a bunch of blah blah blah.

No problems for my future buy.

5. Nov 6, 2007 at 12:12 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    The only people who seem to be having problems are old men and women. Now i'm not trying to be sexist but women have a long history of absent minded things behind the wheel, and old men get confused all the time. There is absolutely no way this truck could continuosly accelerate no matter what you did. If i got on the highway right now and put both pedals allthe way to the floor its not going to accelarate over the brake. Also, neutral is just one step up on the shifter, plus the key can always come out. I think these people are retarded and panic and then try to blame it on the truck. Maybe their floor matts weren't anchored and it stuck the gas pedal down and they didnt have the presence of mind to shift into neutral and then decided to blame it on toyota. Whatever, i'd be amazed if it were the truck

6. Nov 6, 2007 at 12:40 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    NEUTRAL!!! There is a reason you can put an automatic gear selector into neutral without effort. This can't be too big of a problem.....this is the first I've heard anything about it. I HATE stupid people.

7. Nov 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    Well, I am 61 years old, never did what this guy did, but its something to look forward to, lol. Personally, I think older people and soccer moms should have mandatory driving tests every 2 years. I think anyone who text messages or even being on a cell phone while driving should have their heads examined once a week.
    One last note here, I do find myself getting confused at times while driving and quite frankly, this scares me as I love driving and would hate to loose that privilege. However, If I find it gets worse, I will give up driving, put the Tacoma on blocks, rather than kill someone else.

8. Nov 6, 2007 at 8:35 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    i text while steering with my knee all the time :p

9. Nov 7, 2007 at 7:51 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Let me clear things up a bit. I did not mean to say that all elderly drivers are aimlessly wandering the roads confused and scared. My grandparents are in thier 70's and haven't been in an accident in decades. However, its no secret that as you age your motor reflexes start to dwindle and unfortunately so do your mental reflexes. I dont think all senior citizens are bad drivers, i just noticed that all the people having problems in the interviews were either female or grey. I also didn't mean to insinuate that all female drivers are cell phone bimbo's that couldn't make a left turn to save their life. Here are the facts. Men cause more wrecks than women. The reason being, men are idiots. We say stuff like "hey watch this!" or "i bet i can fishtail around that parking cirlce" or "i'm sure i can wedge between those two 18 wheelers in the fast lane" or "I'm sure my car can take those turns at 90mph (i'm guilty of this one). Men are responsible for more wrecks for being stupid and showing lack of judgement. Women are responsible for more wrecks caused by absent mindedness or panicking (not putting a racing truck in nuetral for example). I was simply stating that the people interviewed fall into the category typcially associated with not thinking clearly or being able to react rationally. i dont think all women and old people are bad drivers. hell, my ex girlfriend was the safest most conciencious (sp) driver i've ever known. I was just speaking in generalizations.... for the record

10. Nov 8, 2007 at 7:03 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    "08" Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4X4
    WOW nd! ! !, That sure sturred up a storm with the Senior Citizens! !! However I'm 71 and I believe that if my Taco took off by itself I would take it out of gear and turn off the ignition - in other words I don't believe it would reach 120 mph:D Speaking for myself as a Senior Citizen I believe I cherish my driving privileges more now that I did in my earlier years, but when the time comes that I am a danger on the highway I will give up those privileges! !!

Don G :D

11. Nov 8, 2007 at 7:48 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, i was afraid i was gonna piss off some seniors and women but there was really no delicate way to get across what i was trying to say. oh well....

12. Nov 8, 2007 at 3:04 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    You're front yard is going to be littered with Centrum Silver and Depends when you wake up in the morning!:D

13. Nov 8, 2007 at 3:14 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    Give up being delicate. It doesn't suit you. You should model your behavior after the proverbial bull in a china shop. :)

14. Nov 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    haha! thats disgusting!

Good point, i haven't been delicate since i joined this site, i dont know why i'm tryin now...

15. Nov 21, 2007 at 8:41 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    I just want to say that I was not offended nor did I take anything you posted, in the wrong way. It is definetly true that as we get older, our reflexes lag.

I have to say this though: When I was younger and had an older driver in front of me, going 20 in a 60 speed area, I had no clue why. I believe I called that person a few things, maybe flipped the bird a few times, and passed him recklessly. Now, lol, I am the guy who drives maybe a tad slower, and getting the payback! The circle does turn, does'nt it.

Or maybe, I love my truck too much and baby it? I also own a 08 Highlander 4wd and this car does have balls. I drive it like I stole it. Go figure that out, lol. I love Toyota's and it doesnt matter which one you like, they are all great.

As usual, I got off the original subject of this post, blame it on age maybe........just please dont flip me the bird cuz someday, someone, somewhere, just might do that to you.

16. Dec 6, 2007 at 8:56 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    I finally heard an explanation last evening at my Toyota Dealer New Owner meeting as to why those runaway Taco's happened! ! The Toyota Tech said that the 07 and 08 cars and trucks do not have the traditional throttle linkage to the carb. There is a switch on the gas peddle that sends information to a electronic motor on the carb to give it gas. If there was some kind of computer glitch to that motor - there go runnaway Taco:D He also said that this motor sensor sometimes causes a slight hesitation when you push the gas peddle to start moving. He said it is more of a preception thing than an actual delay! !!

There you are, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:D

I don't make this stuff up, I just report it! !!!!

Don G

17. Dec 6, 2007 at 9:05 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I hate relying on cumputers and stuff like that. hell, i spent most of last night trying to back up my hardrive cause my computer is on the fritz. I'd rather have the good ole fashioned throttle linkage. did he say why it changed?

18. Dec 6, 2007 at 9:06 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    and more importantly did they confirm this as a problem for the 07 and 08 taco's or are the jury's still out? seems like it would log this error in the onboard computer. do you know if this has been an actual confirmed reason for the acceleration?

19. Dec 6, 2007 at 9:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It's called "Throttle by wire" .....
    Here's some information about it.
    http://www.picotech.com/auto/applications/electronic_throttle_control.html

Whether or not those claims are legit or not - it's completely possible that such things CAN occur. Overall -everything is completely controlled by the computer. If there aren't any programming flaws within the system - computers can get flakey from time to time. They're not perfect. I've had my 2007 for about 9 months now and I pay attention to my truck and what it does - and there are times where it does some weird things (rpm's, shifting, etc). Anyone with a tacoma should take these claims seriously and keep them in the back of your mind - cuz you never know. I'm sure Toyota is sweating bullets trying to figure this out....and I'm sure it's not easy to find the asnwers.

20. Dec 6, 2007 at 10:00 AM
    Don G

Don G Old Goat

Member:
    Southern Tier New York
    Vehicle:
    I'm with you on that! ! I would like to be able to put my foot out there and touch that sucker! ! !

His explanatoin was that computers have taken a lot of driving chores away from the driver such as: Antilock brakes, Traction Control, Automatic Transmissions, Lasor speed controls, and a bunch of things that are controlled by computers. While all cars and trucks don't have all the options, the engines are all basiclly the same! !!

Don G

Products Discussed in

To Top