1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilsteins

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tio Pepe, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    Tio Pepe

Tio Pepe [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4-Dbl Cab, Long Bed, SR5, SUPERCHARGED
    TRD installed Supercharger, Air Intake, & Exhaust. 3" lift with OME 885's & OME AAL. JBA shorty headers
    Question:

Are the Bilstein shocks that come on the TRD package, and are put on with a rear TSB the same as Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks?

2. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:00 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    nope. theyre good shocks, but the 5100s are better

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 9:33 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    The shocks that come with the trd package and the tsb will be the yellow bilstien shocks the 5100's are chrome.

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    Sodbuster

Sodbuster Active Member

Member:
    I just got the TSB done. It lifted my truck a bit and it looks great. The ride is better as well. The shocks are blue and appear to be identical to the ones on my nephew's TRD.

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 4:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They are. And while the TRD shocks aren't the worst things in the world....The 5100's are a HUGE improvement.

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 5:13 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    +1,:woot:

7. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    TRD installed Supercharger, Air Intake, & Exhaust. 3" lift with OME 885's & OME AAL. JBA shorty headers
    Thanks. I didnt think they were the same from reading on here, but I hadnt seen it spelled out anywhere.

I just went with SR5 instead of a TRD. Well I wanted the long bed but I dont think TRD OR comes with 6' bed. And I dont really care for the scoop on the TRD Sport. But the main reason was I wanted the dough to get that baby Superchared. I got the TRD supercharger, air intake, and exhaust. I am really pleased with all of it. Now I need to get it lifted up off the ground.

I am gonna try to do this TSB. But after that I guess I will do the 5100's. should I just do coilovers to the Bilsteins that i get with TSB (i guess that would work)? I really need some lift because I am off the pavement as much as I am on it, (though rarely to do "wheelin" mostly just "working"). I knew i would do a lift all along, now I just need to figure out exactly how.

Anyway, I have been lurking around here and reading all this great info on everything under the sun, and I think I understand the lift basics from the great lift threads on here. But I still have a hard time deciding which way to go to get the most bang for the buck on my lift. Thanks in advance for sharing the knowledge.

8. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:09 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2. :burnrubber:

9. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can do lifts with the stock shocks. Or you can use the 5100s and the stock springs to get lift.

There are TONS of options- Depends on how much $ you want to spend and how much lift you want. There are SO many options.

Read around the suspension threads and see what you like...

10. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I keep hoping so....::hasn't sold his yet::

11. Jul 10, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    Well I dont want to spend any more than I have too, but I dont mind spending it if its worth it. I definetly dont need to get too far north of $1000 for lift. Like I said I dont really get to rock crawl, but I do spend a lot of time driving around in pastures and bottom land. I just want a good solid lift that performs well off road, but doesnt require a huge amount of labor and money. Will 5100's do the trick ? I feel like Im at one of those fancy diners in NYC with 5000 things on the menu when Im looking at lifts.

12. Jul 10, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...5100's will do it. You can bump it up a few inches and get a nicer ride than the stock stuff...

Good luck-Lots of threads about installs and what the site members think about them- You will most likely not be disappointed with the 5100's...and the Downsouth Motorsports price is usually a good one for TW members.

13. Jul 10, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    dood, you're makin' me hungry and i just ate... LOL

14. Jul 13, 2009 at 8:18 AM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    Nice analogy. Do most of you peg them out at 2.5" or whatever is max, or do yall mostly go with 1.75" in the middle. I was reading on some other threads that if you max it out, you may need to do UCAs and/or an AAL? what do those cost? Also is it advisable to get 5100s all around or just in front? Thanks

15. Jul 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    5100s will improve your ride...so all the way around is good.

If you do raise the front all the way up- You may want the AAL to level out the rear. You may also want the UCAs to be able to properly adjust the alignment.

UCAs are as cheap as 400 and as expensive as 1200...AALs are like 60 to 150 or so...

16. Jul 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    Tio Pepe

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    allright Im sold on 5100's, Im getting em all around. Just gotta wait till the wifes not looking...

I think I will start at at the 1.75" setting and ride it for a while, when I go to get new wheels and tires, I may bump them up and do the UCAs. Thanks for all the input

17. Jul 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    At 1.75 you will still need an alignment. I would not go to the 2.5 unless you are planning on UCA's. Lots of talk of vibes and not getting a good alignment with stock UCA's and 2.5 on the billies.

Products Discussed in

To Top