1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

remote start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dsds, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Dec 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM
    dsds

dsds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Hi there. Has anyone put in a Valet 561T remote starter into their Tacoma?
    If so, I've got one question for you regarding the valet's activation wire.

thanks!

2008 Tacoma DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    DRL mod

2. Dec 9, 2007 at 1:52 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no experience with this brand, but have seen it as part of a Clifford alarm system (if I remember right).

Seems like a good idean on several levels......

1. Prewarm the vehicle before you get in, so you don't have to sit inside and do nothing.

2. For safety. You get in and it's ready to go.

3. Dec 9, 2007 at 6:06 AM
    NVR_QUIT

NVR_QUIT My goodness, my Guinness!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd Christmas
    USA!!!!
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD Sport, 11' TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift...
    I also am not familiar with this version, but none the less, remote starts are a must!!

*Especially if you live somewhere it gets below 35 degrees at night; or during the day for that matter.

Pre-warming a vehicle is a major element to vehicle longevity. I usually wait about 2 minutes or to the end of a song I'm currently listening to, but during warmer days, a minute will do.

Just keep in mind though... If you have a manual transmission, some companies will not install a remote start in your vehicle. The reason being, is some people leave their vehicle in gear when parked. Obviously when you start the vehicle, gear engaged, you might literally have a taco under the X-mass tree. I had a remote start on my 350 Z and had to always leave it in (N) and the parking break on.

Now that I have an automatic Taco, a remote start is in the near future~!!:pray:

4. Dec 9, 2007 at 8:03 AM
    106Tacoma

106Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 06 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Every option.
    I have a compustar, just got it yesterday.

5. Dec 9, 2007 at 8:03 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    There are remote starts for manuals, but they're a pain in the ass... To avoid the "taco under the tree" situation they have a long activation process. I think they also check for things like the ebrake being set. (checks for neutral by you getting out with it running)
    -push remote start while engine is running
    -turn key off
    -exit truck
    -lock doors
    -turn off via remote start

If ANY of the doors are opened, the system is reset and remote start won't work. I thought I about doing it, then decided I'd get tired of doing that within a week. Or my wife would run out to the truck for something and it wouldn't work. Or not set it up when she got home. lol

6. Dec 9, 2007 at 10:00 AM
    dsds

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    I'm up in Calgary Canada and "the boss" has her car in the warm garage. I'm stuck on the street without a plug-in unless I run a long cord and elevate it above the sidewalk to keep the city happy about no obstructions.

Anyways, the Remote Starter works fine except I chose a model that uses the factory remote fob to activate (press lock 3 times). I'm stuck with it now that I bought it. I'd recommend to others to get one with a remote for the long range and once the engine is running on the tacoma, the key fob doesn't work which means opening the door with the key (gasp!).

The install problem I have is to activate the remote starter I need a negative or positive pulse (I picked 3 pulses) when I push the lock button. The multimeter shows only a brief drop of a few volts, not good enough for the Remote Starter. I've tried the door lock motor wire that has a positive pulse but same problem. All the more reasons to just get a remote starter with it's own remote.

BTW, had to use a immobilizer bypass. I chose a keyless version. Easy but tight quarters getting to the wires to tap into.

7. Dec 9, 2007 at 10:15 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    What about a second remote controlled switch? I had one from Autozone for around $20. It came with one key fob, and the receiver box to turn something on/off. Maybe do that and hit the on/off buttons 3 times?

I can't help but wonder what happens if you park with your hazard lights on or use your turn signals with that type of remote start tied into them. Turn signals and door locks are the only thing I can think of that activate with the key fob.

Maybe wire in a relay? Door locks trigger the relay, relay switches between off and 12v. That could give a nice pulse.

8. Dec 9, 2007 at 10:19 AM
    dsds

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    thanks!
    I'm going to try with a relay this afternoon on the negative door lock wire and if that fails the positive door lock motor wire.

9. Mar 8, 2008 at 8:54 PM
    eyball

eyball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dudley, MA
    Vehicle:
    20 Double cab TRD Sport Voodoo Blue
    Yeah my wifes 02 4-runner is like that. You have to either unlock the doors with the Toyota remote before using the remote start or you have to use the key to unlock the doors. Hers came with one remote that works clear across my office installed for $170. The 4Runner does not have the transponder key though. I want to get one in my 05 double cab since I drop the kids off in the morning. I have to warm up the rig so that means going outside now since I dont have one. Hopefulywarm weather is around the corner. Defenitly getting one for next winter. I just hope with the transponder key it does not cost a ton!

Products Discussed in

To Top