1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for aftermarket bluetooth hands free dialing owners

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Raylo, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    Can you scroll through multiple screens of contacts to select a number to dial while your vehicle is moving?

Reason I ask is I just installed a new JVC GPS head unit with BT hands free and you can't do this. When the vehicle is in motion (seemingly sensed by GPS) the scroll functions are grayed out so I am limited to dialing the first 5 contacts in my phonebook. As soon as I stop (like at a traffic light) the scroll buttons come back. But if I am going to stop what's the point of hands free anyway? I can just as well use the handset.

Scrolling through a few pages of contacts is no more distractive than scrolling through the radio bands and selecting stations, which is not locked out in motion.

I am wondering how the other mfgs like Kenwood, Pioneer, Eclipse, etc. handle this? Might have to send this JVC back.....

2. Jul 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Okay well I don't have or use this but.... if it bothers you that much, just install a bypass so that it thinks you're parked all the time, otherwise I would accept that its a safety feature.
    Otherwise you have no sympathy from me because I can't stand people who are on their cell phones driving down the freeway at 85+. Toying with the buttons on a touch screen radio are no different to me.

I once saw a lady with 5 kids in her suburban on the cell phone with her feet up, swerving lanes, it made me SICK.

3. Jul 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    I don't think a bypass will work. I could have easily connected the parking brake wire to ground during the install that would enable the video while in motion. I don't want to do that and it won't fix my problem since this is sensing motion from the GPS. I don't think it is bypassable.

Lets not get into bypass questions please. I just want to know how the other units work.

4. Jul 13, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I highly recommend a search on the12volt.com Seems that even the Pioneers are getting 'smarter'.

I'm not going much farther than this though, I do not, and will not condone illegal activities on this site with respect for those who own it.

5. Jul 13, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    The video bypass is illegal. I agree with you on that and I am not doing it. I have much better equipment and places to watch video on in my home or on a computer. Scrolling directory lists and menus is NOT illegal. It is just the way JVC chose to implement their firmware that allows you to scroll some menus but not others. There is no functional difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top