1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Leaf Spring TSB and Possessed Radio

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LTCPipkin, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    LTCPipkin

LTCPipkin [OP] Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner SR5 SB Barcelona Red
    Dropped the 2009 Taco (Non-TRD with factory tow package) off at my dealership this morning to check out the radio and "harsh/unsafe ride with a 500 pound load while towing a pop-up camper". Decided to leave a printed copy of the TSB in the driver's seat with my VDS and leaf spring part numbers circled/highlighed with a yellow highlighter.

The Service lady called just before lunch to say that my "2009" was not covered by that TSB. I suggested the VDS and effected part numbers were covered regardless of the year shown in the TSB. The Service lady then said, "Your complaint said your were experiencing a harsh ride - did you experience any bottoming out?" I answered with a simple, "Yes". She then said, "That's all I needed to hear -- I will order the parts now and the Technician will perform the TSB tomorrow." Of course, the Technician already knew it was bottoming out...unless he was blind!!

I also pointed out the complete TSB included shocks and alignment. She assured me her Technician was VERY experienced with this TSB and will perform everything listed in it.

For my Service Department, it seems the right complaint is "my rear suspension is bottoming out with a small load".

It's uncertain if she will be able to get another radio...she couldn't answer my back-ordered question.

Thanks for all the wise advice you folks have given over the past weeks regarding the spring TSB for 2009s. Waving the printed TSB at the Service Desk demanding action might not have been so fruitful for me today.

Michael

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Congrats, you will be much more satisfied with the truck after the TSB

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Right on man! I wonder where she got the notion that '09 wasn't covered.

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Hi ltcpipkin
    Can you send me the TSB? Or tell me where i can download it? I have a 09 I bring it to the dealship to fix the rear windows water leak today. I talk to the service guy for this TSB. But he refuse to do it on mind.

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Because it's NOT. The TSB says it applies to 05-08 truck with a specific part number for springs.

It's a nice thing for them to do it under the TSB...They could just keep swapping out 3 leaf springs until the TSB is updated in theory.

I'm glad that it worked out for the OP.

6. Jul 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Are there some trucks 05-08 that don't have the problem? I've got any 06 and tow boats/trailers now and again & haven't really ever noticed a problem-Never bottomed out that I could tell. I do have the 3 leaf pack & it's never caused me any noticeable trouble. I'm way past the 36k and was wondering if I even need to upgrade. Is the tsb because some trucks have "weak" springs or are they just adding leafs to be on the safe side?

7. Jul 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    No...If it was a safety issue- There would be a recall. If you haven't noticed any problems then you don't need the TSB.

Trailering shouldn't cause an issues unless you have the tow package and FULLY load the trailer.

8. Jul 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    My issue on my Taco was when I towed my Boat on the highway going around 60mph the truck would not drive straight and I would have to compensate to keep the truck in the lane and eventually slow down.I explained to them (dealer)my concern as far as safety since my truck has the tow package and my boat weighs half the capacity, and they still refused the TSB.

9. Jul 16, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    LTCPipkin

LTCPipkin [OP] Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well, it seems I spoke too soon when I made this original posting. Everyone at my local Toyo Service Department agreed to do the 2007/2008 Leaf Spring TSB on my non-covered 2009. However, when they called the "Regional Service Guy" to obtain approval for payment, he approved ONLY replacing the 3-leaf to the 4-leaf spring. So, my "Service Director" called to tell me the bad news. Needless to say, a lengthy debate began. He would replace ONLY what the Regional guy approved (and would pay for). I told him to do nothing and that Toyota Corporate would be contacting him. Toyota's nationwide inconsistency regarding Regional Service Guys and Dealerships on this issue for the 2009 Taco was bugging the crap out of me. How could this guy acknowledge that I had the known problem, but offer me a partial solution?? I know, it's about making money not making the customer happy!!

I called the 800 number and told my tale about bouncing on the rubber stops for SIXTEEN hours with a small RV and a reasonable load in the bed. Lucky me got a random "upper manager" who he claims is required to man the bitch line periodically. I agreed the "2009" wasn't on the TSB, but the VDS matched, the affected part numbers for the leaf springs were on my truck, I was bouncing down the freeway on the rubber stops...and that I was unhappy as a "first-time" Toyota customer!! He listened dutifully and was incredibly nice (of course, that is his job). He took down my VIN, name, and story. He then put me on hold to do some "research" on my vehicle. When he returned 3-4 minutes later, he said that he had just spoken to my Service Director who had already taken my case back to the Regional Service Guy and they had agreed to perform the full TSB on my non-covered 2009. I started to reply , "How convenient!" Instead, I decided to return the same level of "niceness" to this 800 number guy and tell him I will thank my Service Director for going to bat for me with one of Toyota's Regional Bureaucrats.

Once that was solved, I started bitching him out for Toyota dragging their feel on adding the 2009 to this TSB. He told me something very interesting that I never knew...(of course, this is his understanding of his company's process!!)

"Toyota responds to the number of 'official' complaints from disgruntled customers. If a customer has a problem, they need to call the 800 number and describe their issue. Toyota creates a case number, all the case numbers are grouped according to issue, and when the bitching noise about a particular issue gets loud enough, toyota responds with a TSB change or recall or something. At the very least, these cases are passed to the engineers for consideration."

So guys, start dialing...the louder the unhappy Taco owners get, the better it will be for all of us. the number is in your owner's manual, but here it is anyway: 800-331-4331.

I hope to collect my newly suspensioned Taco this afternoon...thanks for sharing your experiences here. I don't think I would have been successful had I not learned from you.

Michael

10. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    Goroad1

Goroad1 Member

Member:
    Clarksburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    09' TRD Off Road-Barcelona Red
    Hey CNTMDC,
    Your Taco looks great!
    Could you post or send pics of your Nerf bars (brand?)and Tonneau cover?
    Trying to decide which looks best before dropping some $$$
    Thx!

11. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    atla512

atla512 Member

Member:
    i have an 09 but i dont have a trailer. im not sure if i plan on towing anything soon but i dont want to run into this issue after my warranty.

if i call or take it to the dealership, will they be looking for some type of evidence on the truck to show the wear or if the truck bottomed out? are there any documents that i should have handy?

12. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    Thanks for the compliment.The cover in a Undercover brand hard cover it's pretty strong and durable I purchased it used to save a little $,and the Nerf bars came from a local truck accessory place I don't know the brand I got it local because the one I bought from Ebay originally came defective and after returning it for credit the bastard stiffed me so Paypal refunded the original price but I ate the shipping twice, so I figured if something happened I could bitch to the local guy.I have more pics available on my user pics.Thanks again and good luck.:D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    I opened my second case with Toyota last week and got a call from the local dealership on Wednesday. The dealership said that they would not be able to do anything without a Test Ride in the truck with it loaded.

Well this morning I loaded about 800 lbs of sand bags in the back of the truck and took it to the dealership for the "TEST RIDE".

The ride was through the back lot of the dealership and sure enough it bottomed out several times. The service tech agreed that it bottomed out.

We went back to the service manager and he said that he would speak with the regional manager. I made the service manager aware of the 05 - 08 TSB and he said he was aware of it, but started feeding me some BS about how the springs were redesigned. BS, because the springs on my truck have the same part number as the ones on the TSB.

I used all of the buzz words. "Harsh Ride" "Bottom Out" "Moderate Load of 600 LBS".

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

14. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    LTCPipkin

LTCPipkin [OP] Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Atla512, do your homework and first call the Toyo 800 number to start a case. The words to use are in the previous post by TicketDoctor. Have a copy of your TSB in hand. Check that your VDS (fields 4-8 of the VIN) is listed on that TSB. Compare your leaf spring part numbers to the "old" part numbers on the TSB. Crawl under the Taco and make sure that you can "clearly" see the impressions that the rubber bumper stops make on the metal frame when it bottoms out. If you don't see those marks, then you need to find 500 pounds or so of rocks and a rough road. You don't need a trailer attached to cause the bottoming out symptom.

When discussing the TSB with the Toyo 800 number guy, agree that the TSB doesn't specifically address the 2009 (but should). Point out strongly, but politely, that the VDS matches, the 3 leaf spring numbers match, and that the bottoming out with a load is VERY bothersome and unsafe at highway speeds. Do not accept a partial solution. My Regional Rep guy tried to pass off just the leaf spring installation. The whole package for my PreRunner included new shocks and a front end alignment due to the height increase of the new leaf springs.

The keys to success for me were:

1. educate yourself about the issue - know more than they do about what is going on with your truck and the TSB. You will NOT believe the ignorant/hysterical responses you will get from these "technicians". Try to remain calm and not laugh out loud.
    2. call the Toyo 800 number to start the process

Good luck,
    Michael

15. Jul 17, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Or you can try what some people did on this forum and went through www.bbb.org and filed a complaint. A toyota rep followed up with them a few days after. The rear spring TSB really depends on how cooperative the dealership is. Some say they had no problem getting their 09's done and other's like me had to jump through hoops to get it. The head technician at the dealership even said to me and it's printed on my report that the bottoming out was a normal function. Stick to your guns and don't let up and make sure that those bump stops are leaving marks on the stops before any inspection!

Products Discussed in

To Top