1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What to do with the Rugged Trails? Which of these three would u get?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rmd0311, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Dec 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    I just had first snow fall like everyone else here in the Northeast. These tires SUCK... I mean suck suck. Like really suck suck suck.

Anyway, I though I was getting something better when I went with the OFF ROAD package. I should have known. I'm gonna swap these out the first chance I get. My question is, what did you guys do with your tires? I mean they might be crap, but they only have 3000 miles on them. I really need to find something to do with them to justify spending anywhere from 600-800 dollars.

Right now its between the
    BFG AT T/A KO, the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and the General Grabber AT 2 all is stock size.

Shoot away... I will suck up this weekends storm with this craptastic tires, but not the next.

Thanks

2. Dec 14, 2007 at 2:07 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go to a local tire place and see what they will give ya for the set. and maybe they will knock off some of the price for a new set of whatever tire you want. worth a try.

3. Dec 14, 2007 at 3:05 PM
    deer_pop

deer_pop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD 6 Speed Manual Speedway Blue
    None yet
    I like the KO's. Plus BF is owned by Michelin.

4. Dec 14, 2007 at 3:07 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    from what i've seen on tirerack and bfg's site, they have really good winter traction for ice/snow

5. Dec 14, 2007 at 3:26 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    meant to add, i really like my dueler revos!!! good smooth ride so far. havent been off road with them yet, but i dont think there will be a problem. and i actually rained once here a couple weeks ago(i know,i know......psh,what rain?), and it was enough to get the roads slick with alot of oil and crap, and the tires seemed to stick like glue to the road.

6. Dec 14, 2007 at 4:40 PM
    supra90140

supra90140 Well-Known Member

Member:
    telford pa
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 lb trd sport speedway blue tow pkg
    weather tech floor liners
    I want to do the same thing and get new tires. I have the sport package so the tires I have suck even more. I got around just fine in the ice storm we had but I still dont trust em. I have always likes the bf all terrains. Most people I know have them. I had perrilli scorpions on my old truck and those tires were great. I would recommend them.

7. Dec 14, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Yeah I have the same issue but I have to use them up, to me it's the BFG's AT KO's, I have a circle of friends that drive nothing but Tacos and better than half run the BFG's, but they are expensive, my opinion; worth it ! All the tires that you mentioned are good tires, but don't overlook Coopers. Google them and look at the website, pretty cool ! Looks like Sat. night possibly Sun we'll have the chance of getting hammered, I wish I had a job where I could be wrong most of the time and still get a raise at the end of the year !?! Our weather man sux, he is wrong most of the time.

8. Dec 14, 2007 at 5:23 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    To the OP, are you kidding me? Granted the Rugged Trails aren't the best traction tires but I've never had an issue with them getting traction in the snow and ice. I had the Rugged Trails on the Tacoma and we had a few gnarly snow storms last winter and I never slid out of control or lost traction (unintentionally)

Last weekend I took the FJ out on some trails with a few fuys and had as good of traction with stock 265/75-16's as a guy running Toyo Open Country M/T's. I was only aired down to 17psi and hew was 12 up front and 10 in the back.

But I would suggest BFG AT's

9. Dec 14, 2007 at 6:25 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I replaced my tires @ 500mi with th BFG All terrains, and I love them. I've done some pretty awesome off roading with them and they do very well. However I've not taken them to the snow yet, this will be their first winter, but my 2wd 4runner has them on it as well, and I've been to the snow many times with them and they do great. Later after my lift I'm going to put on the new BFG mud terrain km2 tires.

10. Dec 14, 2007 at 8:19 PM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Banshee... They are ok with 4wd on but anything is. The braking is terrible as well. I'm gonna throw them on Craigslist. Maybe somebody bites.

SLOtaco... What did you do with the OEMs?

I have always been a huge fan of the Revos... When I was at NPORA (Nissan Pathfinder Off Road Association) these are the ones everyone RAVED about.

My biggest thing, would someone buy these tires. I guess I can put em on craigslist and see.

11. Dec 14, 2007 at 8:38 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I gave my original tires to my cousin who traded them in at the tire store for a credit towards his new tires.

12. Dec 15, 2007 at 3:48 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I agree, check out the Coopers. Had them for years and my father was a Cooper tire dealer and swore by them. Reason I didn't get them again is because they have no reviews anywhere and I always do customer reviews these days.

Having said that I just went with the Michelin LTX M/S tires. Tire rack reviews of this tire are the best if you take mileage into consideration. 57,007,781 miles, more than any tire and it still has #1 ranking in treadwear.

But for you, some say in ice and snow it is capable and others not. I just got mine in and will have them installed today. To be honest, if I lived in heavy snow areas (I lived in NJ/NY for many moons and the all seasons were always fine) I would get the Revos. That was my second choice. But I live here in the frickin place where yesterday December 14th was 82 degrees. I am still using my A/C!

Oh yeah, and for all of those brothers in the South here with me, we are getting our first real rain in about 3 months today!! Yay! :D

13. Dec 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I swapped mine with some Kuhmo RoadVenture AT's around 8k. The kumhos cost me around $440 w/shipping off tirerack and are only a couple notches below revo's on the review list. I was not going to spend $800 on tires unless there was a guarantee they would last at least 2-3 years or 80,000miles.

As for the stock tires.... One has a hole drilled through the tread and is hanging from a tree.... :laugh:

The others I'm planning on bolting together to form a net of sorts when I build a treehouse for the kids.

14. Dec 16, 2007 at 11:35 AM
    rmd0311

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    '

Cool. How are those Kumho's... I bought Kumhos for my wifes Sienna and they are great. Really great. Any input you can give. How are they doing with these few flurries we have been getting in nY.

15. Dec 16, 2007 at 1:01 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    They did great last year. I didn't even bother throwing weight in the bed. This year, not so well. But then, I have 34k on them and beat on them off road so they have about as much tread left as the stock POS ones.

I kinda wish they lasted longer, but it might something to do with doing donuts on trails and spinning when I was buried to the frame in snow a few times. I'll try to be gentler on the next set and see if they last longer. Then again, they were at least $40 cheaper per tire than most. I have no idea if an extra $160 or so for something like Revo's would've lasted longer.

16. Dec 16, 2007 at 2:58 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    GET SOME NOKIAN SNOWS OR BLIZZAKS..ALL SEASON TIRES ARE TRUE BS, THATS LIKE SAYING ONE SHOE FOR ALL SPORTS..TIRERACK.COM HAS A GOOD RATING SYSTEM...GOOD LUCK..I HAVE BLIZZAKS AND ON ICE THEY HOOK HARD AND STOP WELL...SEE IF YOU CAN GET SOME WINTER STEEL WHEELS AND TIRES, THEY USUALY HAVE PACKAGES TO YOUR DOOR FOR A FAIR PRICE...

17. Dec 16, 2007 at 3:14 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I looked at getting blizzacks, but they didn't make the size, so I was told over the phone. :confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top