1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

YOUR Manual Trans?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Thought I’d post up a few quick questions for all you Manual Trans owners. I’ve noticed that the trans and gear box on my 2009 access cab 4x4 SR5 made in California in 2008 is not the greatest. Are people impressed with their MT?. I drove a TRD and it just shifted better/seemed more solid.

Not sure if this should be happening, but I can actually get rolling from a dead stop by shifting into 1st, and letting the clutch our slowly. I never have to give it any gas. It also feels like the sweet spot on the clutch (where it engages) doesn’t happen until the very very last second when the clutch is about ½ to 1 inch from being all the way up.

Other funny things with my manual trans, very noisy. Now I consider myself on OK MT driver. No matter how smooth I am, I can always hear very loud mechanical noises while shifting. Like it’s going into gear hard. THUD!

What are some issues you guys are having with your MT?

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It's a truck trans...so it's a bit beefier than a sports car or whatever...and the tolerances are a bit looser so it will make noise.
    As far as getting started without putting gas to the engine- That's fine. It means the engine is powerful enuf at idle to start moving the car without stalling.

I haven't had any issues with my 6 speed TRD Sport- The gearing is a LITTLE short for daily driving- but some skip shifts fix that...and when I had 1200# in the truck while I was moving over the weekend-The shifts were PERFECT.

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Yeah, this is my first truck. Use to drive a Corola.

Another quick question:

What happens mechanically when you shift into N. Are the gears free floating inside the gear box? I notice a lot of clunking and rattling when in N and going over bumps at abour 10-25 MPH

4. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:48 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    My 5 spd is fine and I grind them every once in a while cause Im old and unskilled.

5. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:31 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    What Brunes said. Its not the smoothest tranny out there. Yes, its geared short. You can crawl along, shift, no gas, esp in 4lo.

City unloaded in stop-n-go or 70+ all the time, probably not the best match. But loaded up, towing, mtns, off road, or on snow this tranny is perfect. In the country, I've found MPG is same as the auto, except interstate speeds.

Takes some finese, all the clutch action is in a short window at about 80% released and I've seen people have a tendendancy to dump it. Hence thunk. Need a little more on the gas pedal. Overall after 4+ years of ownership, no issues, no compliants for how I use it.

The clutch pedal travel is long, the last 5/8" is dead space. You can shorten it up for pennies or even with them, see write up the 'Cheap/free mods' thread.

6. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Everything you mentioned is the same on my 5 spd, but I got used to it and I'm sure you will too. These transmissions may not be very refined, but they seem to be very tough and reliable.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    Hmm, I think all the gears are always meshed together. Does that make sense?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

8. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    And as for the original post, I'm pretty happy with my tranny. At first I disliked it because my Eclipse tranny was just sweet. After a while, I figured out how she liked to be treated ( :rolleyes: ) and now we both get along. :)

9. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    what he said...
    sometimes you just gotta take the time and get a better feel for your manual trans. my driving habbits changed drastically switching from my civic to my srt-4.

GL with the 6spd. sometimes i wish i would have gotten the manual trans.

10. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

So what could be making that moise? the drive shaft shaking around? It only makes the noise in N, which leads me to think it must be the gears?

11. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    It could be shift forks, synchronizers, bearings, gears, shafts, or a whole number of items inside a manual trans. I wouldn't worry about it, they all make some noise. I don't even notice these things anymore, but I did when the truck was new and had the same concerns that you have now.

12. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    I also agree with everybody here. I've owned tons of manual trans trucks. All were Toyota's from 1978 and up. This one is my favorite by far. Has tons of power, can start with barely any gas and pulls like a SOB. Toyota really did their homework on the 05+ models. Yes, mine makes noise too. Especially when out of gear in neutral going slow over bumps like you mentioned.

13. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

test drove a TRD and it didn't make the noise in N, is that because each truck is different? or the TRD has better parts?

14. Aug 4, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Niknaq

Niknaq Phightin Phils 2008 Champs

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    FLA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4wd 2.7L Regular Cab
    Dumped exhaust, 35 % factory tint, kobalt slim line toolbox, afe pro dry, toyota all weather mats, fog lights soon.
    After driving a HEEP 4.0L Stick this toyota manual is a million times better, no slip, great "pinch", heck my stick doesnt even wobble when engaged. Im very impressed so far but that may change in 30K.

15. Aug 4, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    wmflyfisher

wmflyfisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    PCB, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport 4x4
    Same trans in the TRD and non-TRD. You really have to "know" the trans to even hear or feel the noise I'm referring to. I've even heard it in different years/models so I know it's normal.

16. Aug 4, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

The noise I'm referring to is load not only can you hear it but you can feel it! It sounds like something is bouncing around, very loud. I'll try and take a video tonight. I really don't think it's normal!

17. Aug 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    If it makes you guys feel better, GM uses these transmissions. The 5 spd is used in the Colorado, Solstice, and Sky while the 6 spd is used in the new Camaro V6. I have never seen a single failure of any of these transmissions here at the Chevy dealer I work at. Of course the Camaro just came out so that's unfair of me to judge the 6 spd on personal experience, but we are having trouble with the V8 6 spd made by Tremec. Aisin makes very reliable manual transmissions, too bad they didn't make the one for the Camaro SS V8.:D

18. Aug 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I just realized the first sentence in that paragragh was scary.:rolleyes:

19. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

so it's normal?

20. Aug 4, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Based on your discription of the noise, you may want to run it by the dealer just to be safe. Like I said, these transmissions are very reliable, but that doesn't mean you don't have an issue with yours. Nothing mass produced is 100% reliable.

Products Discussed in

To Top