1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/C sound?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cornwall325, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 [OP] Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    I was wondering if there's anyone else out there who's noticed what seems like to me a funny sound when you turn the a/c on after initial startup? I started my truck today after work and probably a few seconds later turned the a/c on and I heard some type of sound from under the hood when the a/c came on. Am I dreaming or are there some of you who have noticed the same thing? Any input on this would be much appreciated. I feel like it's something normal but just wanted to post and see what you all had to say about it and explain it to me.

thanks

2. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I get a grind like sound,sorta sounds like a big animal coughing. From what i hear its the clutch engaging. It makes less noise if you wait about 3 minutes before you turn it on.

It's annoys me from day 1

3. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    our trucks have kinda loud compressors anyways. that might be what your hearing

4. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    My noise is similar to clearing your throat,in a metal truck way, lasts 2/3s of a second perhaps when i turn a/c on.I wait until the idle goes down and I'm at the next stop/redlight and go into A/C, sucks on a hot day lol.

5. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I hear the exact same noise, it sounds like a grinding noise as if there is two metal surfaces rubbing against each other. I took it in for them to take a look at it, they didn't find anything wrong with the A/C.
    Try waiting for the car to warm up and wait to turn it on at a higher speed, I usually turn it on when I get on the highway. This sometimes helps not to make that noise.

6. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    mine sounds like crickets chirping

Products Discussed in

To Top