1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CRAP! My new rims will not fit CENTER BORE TOO SMALL!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Leer, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Jan 27, 2008 at 1:48 PM
    Leer

Leer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Alright I'm sooo po'd right now. I had no idea the the hub was so fricken huge on out Tacoma's.

So I bought some aftermarket rims that I REALLY like, I go to slap them on and the fricken thing won't fit!! The bore of the rim is WAAY smaller than the bore of the hub.

Please tell me my options as i cannot return these rims.

Can I bore them out myself? If so, and I make the rim bore larger than the hub bore, will it be safe with the studs taking the full brunt from the rims?

If I can't bore them, can I get some wheel adapters?

Please let me know if any of you have come across this situation and have any advice for me! I really appreciate it!

b1985sb likes this.
  2. Jan 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Why can't you return them ? did you buy them retail or from a private owner ? By chance were they Centerline ? I would just sell them on E-bay or outright.

3. Jan 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM
    Leer

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    I bought them brand new from a friend. They are American Racing. I'd MUCH rather get these to fit than selling them!

4. Jan 27, 2008 at 2:14 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Because the engineering, and the amount of material needed between lugs, hub, and the amount of torque subjected to the rims, I don't think you can bore them to fit. I would find peace of mind knowing that you sold them to someone who could use them without damage or danger, take the money and purchase a new set that fits.

wi_taco likes this.
  5. Jan 27, 2008 at 2:48 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i agree 100% on this. its too risky trying to bore the rim to fit, as this will weaken the entire center of the wheel. trying to sell them and getting another set seems more logical at this point, not trying to rain on your parade or anything, just looking at the safety factor overall.

TRDSport10 likes this.
  6. Jan 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM
    Leer

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks for the comments and concerns guys! Well maybe buying wheel adapters might be an option then?

7. Jan 27, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Listen to these two....take the loss and sell them on ebay and get some rims that will fit....Who knows, you might get more for them on ebay than you paid for them..Good Luck!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    TRDSport10 and 2015WhiteOR like this.
  8. Jan 27, 2008 at 11:05 PM
    willard417

willard417 Yeah

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    beaver county, PA
    Vehicle:
    06' access cab. 2.7L
    alpine head unit, removed secondary air filter, 18" XD Rockstars. 285/60/R18, 3" OME 884/AAL OME shocks all around.
    if you bought them from a "friend" shouldn't you be able to give them back? seeing how they don't fit an all.

9. Jan 27, 2008 at 11:35 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I've bored like 4 sets out 0 failures even with very heavy abuse... moto metal makes their hub centers small to the place chevy 4x4 hubs wont fit through.... the lug nuts take the full force anyhow other than newer fords that are hub-centric design the rest use the lugs to center the wheel anyhow...most aftermarket wheels are bigger than the stock centers so they fit more veh's..... I would not suggest doing it yourself just cause of looks and its a time consuming process...take your two front wheels (un-mount the tires) to a machine shop and have the centers enlarged to 3.80" i believe it is and you'll be fine...other way to go is buy 4 chrome center caps like american racing rims take...take them in and have all the wheels enlarged to where the off-the-shelf caps fit front or rear

Shiftgate likes this.
  10. Jan 28, 2008 at 12:18 AM
    Leer

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Hilo HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4x4
    Thank guys for your opinions and comments. Theres alot of metal there near the center bore. If I take a half in deep bore out to 106 mm, it deosn't look like it will affect the integrity of the rim at all. But I do appreciate the concern!

I can't return the rims because I bought them used from a friend who was selling it for another. The rims were brand new still sealed in the box and I got a great deal. The brand new rims and brand new tires mounted and balanced only came out to $1100 out the door.

So Even if I sell them for around $1500, I'll make some money, but I won't be able to buy replacement rims that I really like. Well I think I'm going to try to bore them out myself. I will keep you guys poseted as to how it turns out!

Again, thank you very much for all fo your help and opinions!!!

Copy (2) of IMGP1044.jpg

11. Jan 28, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Good luck with the bore resizing. Those are some nice looking wheels. Plenty of bling!

12. Feb 10, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    5 lug

5 lug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma Extra Cab, 2.4 liter, 5 speed manual, sliding back window
    JVC CD player, Bedliner
    :confused:You'd be surprised how many people I've talked to from Craigslist that are reselling rims because they do not fit because of center bore varying from year to year.

:eek:I just carried my 4 ton jack and 4 jack stands when I went looking 4 rims. It saved me a lot of grief in the long run and got a :pgood education.

:cool:Aloha, 5 lug

13. Feb 11, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
  14. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    snektaco

snektaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DblCab Radiant Red
    blk headlights, 3" EZ Lift, 32"s, maplight mod, turn sig mod..more to come
    OK - so bought some different wheels for my '07 taco from a guy with a
    chevy 6 lug truck and learned all about the 4 inch hub on the tacomas the
    hard way. Went to put them on back at home, had a nice 'OH SH$T' moment, but then found this thread and the redirect to Leer's article about machining the bore out with a router and rabbiting bit. Googling
    came back with a ton of other references and videos on doing this too.

Last Friday afternoon I busted my 'big bertha' router and a fresh bit along
    with a can of WD-40 (makes a huge difference) and proceeded to make lots of alloy shavings in the hope of ending up with wheels that fit my truck. The short of it was that I took my time and ended up with 4 wheels
    with perfect 4 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep bores that fit perfectly and am now sporting a nice set of very polished American Racing 16x8 simulated beadlocks with radiant red beadlock rings that match my 07 taco dbl cab. Looks sweet and very happy with the result. I even had a machinist neighbor stop when he saw me routing a wheel to see what the hell I was doing. After looking at them - he said routing was pretty ballsy...but was
    amazed with how well it worked and said there was plenty of meat left on the wheel to handle the load. I am betting he will pass on buying another CNC in favor of buying a nice new Cable Porter router next time! :eek:

15. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    If he's a friend and a stand up guy (he should fill both catagories) this shouldn't be a problem. :rolleyes:

You beat me to the punch .... :cool:

Ta - Da ... :eek:

By the way ... did they look like these? I love my American Racing old school look.

[​IMG]

16. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    trailinTaco

trailinTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bel Air, MD
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4x4
    3 inch suspension lift, 33 inch bfgoodrich mud terrain tires, toytech diff drop, Procomp alloy wheels, hella fog lights, black projector headlights with 8000k HID's, blacked out tail lights, two 12 inch subs, 20% tint, pioneer head unit and speakers
    You would be surprised how many people think that chevy and tacoma wheels fit. sure they lug pattern is good but the hub size is different. Theres a lot of wheels on craigslist that say they fit toyota and chevy.

17. Feb 13, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    res4cue

res4cue Race Fire/Med Rescue

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chula Vista
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4
    Camburg UCAs with FOX ext 2.5 coil overs w resis up front, OMD springs and Custom FOX internal bypass 2.0's with adj resi's out back, Fiberwerks fenders, Dad32509 Satoshi, AFE Drop in, 14" Magnaflow Cat-back, 30" Baja Designs LED bar, 2 Squadron XL and 2 pros, 2 BD Fuegos, 2 Yakima Mega Warriors, Kenwood race radio and Lowrance GPS, Pioneer DVD/navi. Pelfreybilt Fabrication underbody protection, Wheelskins leather steering wheel wrap, Body Armor rear bumper with tire carrier and custom tube front for those "aggressive" days.
    I used 1" billet spacers for years until I just got new rims.

18. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    snektaco

snektaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DblCab Radiant Red
    blk headlights, 3" EZ Lift, 32"s, maplight mod, turn sig mod..more to come
    Taking the rims back seems the obvious choice when struck with the 'oh crap...lug pattern is same as Chevy - but not bore' delema. Wasn't really an option for me + plus what I spent buying these from the guy who had them laying around pretty much boiled down to a great deal on my Grabber AT2's with the AR ATX Sim Beadlocks thrown in for free. A little routing, a little rattle can action, and some Mothers wheel polish and SHAZAM...my truck has a whole new look and new (and quieter) tires.

0218120958.jpg

19. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:56 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    NECRO THREAD!!!!

20. Dec 9, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    TacomaJW

TacomaJW Member

Member:
    If the rims center is close to the size of the hub, you can take cylinder sandpaper and a drill to knock it down so they fit.

Products Discussed in

To Top