1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

05 clutch blew up!!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by life_lion, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Feb 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM
    life_lion

life_lion [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello all, new to the forum and posting for the first time, been lurking on the site for quite awhile to see if any one has had clutch issues.

Several weeks ago I was on vacation - about 150 miles from my dealer. All of a sudden started having trouble shifting. Went to the closet dealer to have it looked at, ended up a spring on the clutch disc broke. Bought the truck new and bought the x-tended warranty. Well guess what - clutch isn't covered. Very, very disappointed. I am still trying to get my dealer or toyota to pick up the 800.00 tab. I might add that I am very easy on the truck and the p-plate and clutch were not "burned" in any way. This is my 3rd toy and it might be my last - hard to beleive that toyota won't stand behind there product - it has 47,000 on it. Last 2 trucks had over 150,000 before the clutches went.

I beleive I am correct that those springs only hold the disc to the shaft. Does anybody know what a driver could do to make this part fail prematurely??? Any advice on who to contact????

Thanks

2. Feb 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    This is a first I have heard of this, I myself have a 6 speed, drive like an old man, 35,800 miles and "feels" good, but I am assuming it just kind of happened. If I am not mistaken, you have a 50,000 mile powertrain warranty, which I feel the clutch should fall under, I would look into this matter a little deeper. Someone here knows a little more about it than me, I am certain they will direct you in the right way. Best of luck, and write back with the end result so we can all learn what to do.

3. Feb 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Toyota will try to classify the clutch as a wear and tear item, and won't pay for the replacement.

4. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Feb 3, 2008 at 4:57 AM
    life_lion

life_lion [OP] Member

Member:
    That is exactly what they are saying......as soon as you mention clutch they won't cover it. I could understand if the clutch was burned up, but that is certainly not the case. The disc was like new.......soooooo can anybody tell me anything about the springs in the clutch disc. Will keep all posted as to the results, I am planning on running this the whole way up the food chain.

6. Feb 3, 2008 at 6:36 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    A broken clutch spring is not a wear and tear item.
    It disturbs me that Toyota won't step up and fix this without having you raise the bar and complain.
    Keep us posted.

7. Feb 3, 2008 at 7:15 AM
    life_lion

life_lion [OP] Member

Member:
    I think if this would have happened while I was home, my dealer would have fixed. Because I had another dealer take care of it (no choice) and that dealer is not in the same "district" nobody wants to step up. This whole situation is B.S. I have always been a loyal toyota consumer....this may change my opinion. This is toyota truck #3 Bought an 85 4x4 - got 175,000 out of it, bought a 93 4x4 - got 200,000 out of it and now the 05. Hope it works out..

8. Feb 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    the springs on the disk clutch are only there to absorb the hit the disk suffers when your pressure plate comes back on the disc ( when you release your clutch pedal). It softens the transition.
    I've had broken springs before and usually, when a disc spring brakes, it means that you are giving it a hard time. ( do you have kids???)
    If you say that you drive very nicely, it means that there was a problem with your disk.

9. Feb 11, 2008 at 11:10 PM
    willard417

willard417 Yeah

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    beaver county, PA
    Vehicle:
    06' access cab. 2.7L
    alpine head unit, removed secondary air filter, 18" XD Rockstars. 285/60/R18, 3" OME 884/AAL OME shocks all around.
    i've noticed that my clutch just sucks. its hard to get into first and the transition from 1st to 2nd is not smooth.

10. Feb 11, 2008 at 11:17 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    That's not the clutch, its the transmission. All the 6 speed tranny's seem to have this problem.

11. Feb 12, 2008 at 3:49 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods

He has a 4 cyl, I believe that means he has a 5 speed.

At first I felt that way too, but now that I have about 10,000 miles on her it is smooth and am having no problems.

On the FJ cruiser boards the vast majority is having no issues and their problem has to do with the all time 4wd, which does not apply to our trucks.

I hope all works out well though.

12. Feb 12, 2008 at 4:30 AM
    life_lion

life_lion [OP] Member

Member:
    colttsi.....I have no kids, I am the only driver. I baby this truck and have never ABUSED it. I get yelled at for driving slowly all the time.

I currently am waiting to hear from toyota in california as to the status of my claim.

13. Feb 12, 2008 at 5:15 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Hey Willard. Being hard to shift into first gear while moving is typical of Toyota 5 speed trucks. My 83, 91 and 06 and my father's 89 and 05 were all the same. I don't remember it on the older trucks but both my 06 and dad's 05 were also stiff shifting from 1st to 2nd.

I have 15K on the truck now and don't notice the 1st to 2nd problem any more. I'm not sure if the transmission has broken in a bit or I've just gotten used to it. I'll have to try to pay attention to it or /shudder let my wife drive it and ask her how it feels.

14. Feb 12, 2008 at 5:23 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I know this isn't apples to apples as I have a 2.7L with the 5 speed, but my transmission is smooth at 36,000 miles. At one point I had issues between 1st and 2nd, but that has been several months. I am with Roland on that, it must have just broke in.

As for your issue, I would think that Toyota should refund your money. A spring on a clutch disk should out last the clutch plate itself. Hell, the whole point of a manual tranny is that they are low maintenance - only the clutch plate should need to be replaced.

I hope the best for you. Good luck!

15. Feb 12, 2008 at 5:46 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    Been reading some of the rely's on this thread with growing interest about some of the comments.
    Notchy shifting from 1 to 2nd, isn't somthing I have noticed, but shifting from first to second is difficult because of the gearing.
    Is it me, or does anyone else feel low gear is to low?
    I either short shift it, or rev it to 3,000 before shifting into 2nd to get a smooth flow of power.
    I'm getting more and more use to it, and don't notice it as much anymore, but it is still an issue.
    Also, on my truck it seems the clutch will be grabby if it has sit for few days, or if it has been driven in wet conditions and then set for a while.
    It acts like a broken spring, as mentioned above, except it only does it now and then. Soon as I drive it for 30 or so miles, it clears up. It shifts fine when I experience the grabby condition, but starting out in first it will kind of give you a mild (little) thump when the clutch is let out.
    Any thoughts on what that might be?
    The dealer said they didn't think there was anything to it, but then by the time I drive it to the dealer it will be fine and I am not willing to let them have it for a few weeks to reproduce the condition. Yea, I let my truck sit for that long at times, because I ride a motorcycle most of the time.

16. Feb 12, 2008 at 6:01 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Like I said these transmissions suck. :D Every once in a while my truck will not got into third and it will also grind 2nd on an occasion. This is my third Tacoma in 8 years and by the far this is the worst transmission in any of them. :mad: Toyota can be very hard to deal with when it comes to warranty, they still have the 80's mentality that their product is far superior than anyone else's. Its just not the case anymore, Toyota has grown to big to fast and IMO they are experiencing growing pains right now. I wish you lots of luck if in fact your clutch is shot at only 25k. Sorry end of rant. :laugh:

17. Feb 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Which engine/tranny do you have?

18. Feb 12, 2008 at 9:33 AM
    Cburt

Cburt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4, White
    None currently,
    2006 w/ the V6 and 6 speed.

19. Feb 12, 2008 at 9:53 AM
    colttsi

colttsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just have one question for you life-lion, do you 'ride' the clutch meaning that you keep your foot on the clutch while driving?

20. Feb 12, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    -2005 2.7L 5 speed manual 4x4(Amsoil 75W-90 severe gear in Tranny @ 30k, now have 41k, Mobil1 in the front/rear diffs & transfer case).

I have your truck but '05, same bullshit. It's damn near impossible to hit 1st gear if it's in motion, difficult while stopped, and it's VERY notchy from 1st to 2nd. If it's any consolation the Camry 5 speed 2.4L is the same, notchy shifting. I don't get it.

How about this, if I'm moving & suddenly STOP & want to go into reverse it won't! I have to lurch forward a little more & stop then reverse. Why do I care? Because I have overshot a few stop signs & wanted to get the F out of a vehicles way and can't...... Dealership said "synchros" weren't catching.

I put Amsoil 75W-90 in there, still does it. I try revving to 3k rpm's & it's a little better, but my gas mileage suffers doing that all the time. It is just as bad (notchy) now as it was new. I'll just live with it because I otherwise like these trucks, the Japanese know what they're doing for the most part.

Products Discussed in

To Top