1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How long before waxing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tune10, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:23 AM
    tune10

tune10 [OP] Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Tuxedo Cover, Nerf Bars(black), Black Bug Deflector
    :DHello Everybody!
    New to the world of Taco's, I just picked up my 08 DC Sport. My question is how long should I wait before waxing? I have heard 30 days or right away. I use Dura-Shine and love the stuff because it doesn't leave water spots. I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but like I said new to the Taco World.

2. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:26 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have no intention to wax.

3. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:49 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Would you mind explaining why? Just curious.
    I haven't done it yet, but was thinking I probably should.

4. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:52 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sure; it won`t make any difference. Why waste the time?

5. Feb 8, 2008 at 7:27 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I'd wax it. Dealer probably just used some shine spray. Waxing does make a difference. My previous truck's paint looked perfect after 6 yrs of abuse. I do mine 3-4 times a year, actually did mine last night (wish a I took a pic) cause it went right back into the snow, salt, and sand of NY winter roads today.
    An hour and a couple beers... its worth it if you plan on keeping your truck a long time.

Dont forget the blocking skills you'll pefect in the process Daniel-san.

6. Feb 8, 2008 at 7:32 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I dont intend on ever waxing my truck. its way too much of a pain in the ass. My truck gets washed every 2 or 3 months but thats it. i dont have the time or patience to spend all day making my truck sparkle. However, i will get it detailed a every so often and have someone else wax it. I'm just not gonna take the time

7. Feb 8, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You can probably do it anytime.

I mean - from the time the truck actually got painted till the time it actually got on the lot and sold to you, is probably plenty of time for the paint to cure.

Besides - when you buy the truck, the dealerships never tell you anything about waiting...

I was rear-ended back in August and the entire passenger side bed had to be clear coated (over top the paint repair). They told me to wait 3 months before putting ANY chemicals on it (including soap).

We've been using Zaino on our vehicles. Great stuff.

8. Feb 8, 2008 at 8:40 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    The weather can wash it. Forget wax.
    It will outlast me.

9. Feb 8, 2008 at 9:18 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Aside from washing my truck every other week, I am in the same boat. Some one else can wax it for me. I will just keep the bird poop and mud off of it. Well, I may let the mud stay a while...

10. Feb 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    mine is dingy as hell from the last (and only) snow we had about a month ago. i need to wash it soon

11. Feb 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM
    erock

erock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR Tint Window, Magna Flow 2.5 Catback, TRD CAI, 3" Revtek and TSB, 33" Toyo MTs
    Cig Lighter Will tackle the Rear Locker Always On soon
    I just go down to one of those spray and wash places. I spray on the wax. Not sure if it does any good outside of a day but it makes me feel like I really did something useful. Otherwise, I just buff out problem spots where my dog had his paws haging over the bed.

12. Feb 8, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    I waited three weeks then washed, polished and waxed it.

Got the paint treatment but when I rubbed my hand over it, it was still a little rough and I could hear the particulates.

I clay bar'd it and it's glass smooth. Then I used Mequired polish. It states on the bottle that it "offers no protection". Just a shine enhancer.

Final coat was going to be Klasse, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

In the meantime, used Meguier's NXT and am very happy with the result. water beads, sap just rubs off and it's glass smoot and protected from UV.

Will do same in one month. But this time cover with Klasse AIO then glaze sealer.

I fugure 12 washings a year is not too much work and the wax makes it easier to wash. Takes maybe 3 hours total.

13. Feb 8, 2008 at 1:58 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I plan on keeping this truck waxed up and nice too. Ain't nuttin wrong with waxin or polishin.

I've gone through my stages of vehicles. My first tacoma we bought used(96) and I never waxed/polished it. It went offroading often and got streaked up anyway. Then, the jeep came along....hell, it's still got dirt on the wheels from last MAY. And now....this tacoma is my pride and joy. It's something I wanna keep shiny and looking new forever. :thumbsup:

14. Feb 8, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    I applied the first wax within the first month of ownership.

Water restrictions prevent me from washing mine as much as I'd like. As for the waxing, my wife does a good job :D. Unfortunately she's only 5' so I still have to reach the middle of the hood :(. I'm working on a way for her to reach there too!!

Seriously though, wax is an essential longevity tool to keep the finish looking at it's best longer. And I want my Taco to keep looking good. That's my baby.

Nobody would want their wife to have a rough finish and look as if rode hard, why would you want to be seen in your Taco in such a shape :eek:

15. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Wax it until your hearts content. I do mine 3-4 times a year, looks great and makes me feel good about it, it's your investment, take care of it.

16. Feb 8, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Do it. Waxing is easy if you use the right products and tools. I wash just about every weekend and I wax every 3 months and I use all Meguiar's products (NXT comes off easier than any wax I've ever used).

17. Feb 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    I agree with Janster. I remember when I hit, err... I mean a deer hit me in my 97. The body shop said the same thing. Actually the paint takes even longer to cure, but the clear coat only takes ~3 months. If you wanted to get all scientific and crap, you could look at the built date on the driver’s door. This will tell you exactly what day it rolled off the line.

18. Feb 8, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    deer_pop

deer_pop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD 6 Speed Manual Speedway Blue
    None yet
    Your truck has been baked from the factory. Hit it with the Mothers or Meguiars ASAP in my opinion.

19. Feb 8, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I agree with you 100%

20. Feb 9, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    i just did mine last weekend after having the truck for a little over 3 weeks. i used menzernz products from http://www.properautocare.com/and it turned out great. i have used them in the past and always been happy with the results. get a buffer; it will make it go a lot faster. also make sure you clay bar the truck first. you will be suprised at the difference it makes.

Products Discussed in

To Top