1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab vs Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lexusoftrucks, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Jan 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM
    lexusoftrucks

lexusoftrucks [OP] Member

Member:
    Well, I stared at it, agonized over it and even sat in the back seat myself to see if there was enough room before buying my '05 Access Cab SR5. I thought to myself, the back seats are plenty big, although I'm 5'8", I mean, how often will people sit there anyway? Well, now that I have a wife with a child on the way and spend weekends chaufferng around the in-laws, those back seats seem pretty small and here I am thinking about heading to the dealer and trading it in on a TRD Sport Double Cab. Of course that would mean taking a bath on my trade-in and having to deal with those knucklehead salesmen again, but maybe I need the full-sized back seats. Any comments out there Tacoma afficianados? Access Cab owners, what are your experiences putting full-sized adults in the back seats? By the way Webmaster, I'm not bitter about not getting my TacomaWorld sticker so no hard feelings, O.K? Keep on postin' :cool:

2. Jan 17, 2007 at 11:00 PM
    beagletee

beagletee Member

Member:
    Tough decision. I have an access cab and the back seat can be small for an adult. You may need a double cab. Are there any double cabs w/o TRD pkg. but w/ SR5 pkg. That may save you a few $ if you are already losing money on the trade. Good luck! oh yea, if money is not too much a factor go for it!

3. Jan 18, 2007 at 6:09 AM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    We are kind of in the same boat but I really wanted to get the 4 cylinder so was stuck getting the Access cab.

Our son (13 years old) is the one that sits back there and even he complains about it.
    Would be nice to have a double cab, especially with the longer bed.

For shorter trips the Access cab is usable but for a long trip it would be pretty brutal.

4. Jan 18, 2007 at 7:23 AM
    LovinMyTaco07

LovinMyTaco07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    We've been enjoying our double cab. I have a 2 year old and another son due early April. The car seat fits in the back seat with plenty of space and my mother-in-law and wife have taken turns sitting in the back seat on road trips and they enjoy the space in the double cab. I think the double cab has more cab space, both front and back seat, then my 97 Satrun!

5. Jan 18, 2007 at 7:32 AM
    topdec

topdec Well-Known Member

Member:
    I too have an 07 dc lb. We had a nice 7-hour drive to Chicago (from MN) with 2 kids in the back.

I drove the long bed in downton Chicago for 2 nights and had no problems. It was New Year's to boot, so the streets were really tight.

6. Jan 18, 2007 at 10:39 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I currently have an access cab. I had to get one because I wanted the efficiency of the 2.7L 4 cylinder engine. Most of my hauling is light loads and a 1800 pound boat+trailer that I normally tow with my wife's 06' V6 Rav4. I use her Rav4 if we have to haul people.

I am bummed that they can put a V6 in the Rav4, and it gets the same mileage (most of the time better) than my Tacoma. Yet, they can't build a 4 door Tacoma that gets that same kind of mileage.:confused:

If I had to use my truck as a people hauler, I would just have to suck it up and get the doublecab with the V6. Don't get me wrong - I would love to have that kind of power just not the MPG. :(

Get the doublecab if you are going to be hauling people. You won't regret it. If you won't be using it to haul people all that often, you may want to just stick with your accesscab. I know I won't be giving mine up anytime soon.

7. Jan 18, 2007 at 10:42 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    If you can afford being without a vehicle for a few days, think about selling your AccessCab yourself. You will get top dollar for it that way. Tacomas are one of the few vehicles on the road with a VERY high resale value. Tacomas are investments - don't let the dealer treat you otherwise. :)

8. Jan 18, 2007 at 4:58 PM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Hey lexusoftrucks, Let me tell you, The taco Double Cab is the way to go, I have my 03 SR5 and there is plenty of room. My 14 and 16yr old kids even put there backpacks back there.
    Don't let the dealer get over on you. The Taco's are in demand and the resale is very high on them. I had a Lexus salesman bugging me to sell my taco to him. You just have to get use to the short bed.

Hey there is always e-bay

9. Jan 19, 2007 at 6:23 AM
    Rigged4Ride

Rigged4Ride Member

Member:
    I bought a double cab because I moved to Florida and thought of it this way...

when I lived in NYC trips where brief.. so an access cab people could deal with...

in Florida, we drive everywhere for longer distances.. so more comfort in a double cab.. I was right as I have gotten alot of compliments on the room in a double cab..

I'd take double over access anyday....

10. Jan 19, 2007 at 7:21 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    When my Wife got pregnant we (with much agony) decided to trade in our '03 Xtracab for either a '05 Access cab or Double cab. I really liked the look of the Access cab but it just didn't have the room we needed and we also thought about the long term. We plan on keeping the truck for at least another 5 years so we opted for the Double cab and I have no regrets. When family comes to visit we have room to haul them around comfortably. I'm 6' and my father-inlaw is 6'4" and he fits fine in the back. Honestly go for it but like it was said try to sell it before trading it in or you will take a hit on it.

Happy Hunting.

11. Jan 19, 2007 at 1:43 PM
    CasaTaco

CasaTaco Active Member

Member:
    You don't have to deal with "knucklehead salesmen" down at the dealership anymore. I went to the local toyota dealer and spoke with a salesmen yesterday on my future Taco and he gave me what I thought was a fair deal. Then when I got home I went thru the same dealer's internet department and got a better deal. Over the net they are selling Toyota's at invoice and then giving another $750.00 off of that. That sealed it for me.

CasaTaco

12. Jan 19, 2007 at 1:54 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    i like the double cab better. I also have a long bed. i really started to dread owning a long bed until I had to haul both bedroom sets for my 13 and 8 year old in which they were with me during the trip. it was worth it. i love my diva truck :)
    hope this helps....

13. Jan 22, 2007 at 12:21 PM
    Andrew83

Andrew83 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DCSB
    Go double cab! Thats all I got to say, I love mine!

14. Jan 25, 2007 at 7:36 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I love my access cab for the exact reason you need to get rid of yours. I don't want to scoffer people around; my back seats are pretty much for emergency only. While I was shopping for my truck I tried out the back seat of the double cab, and at 6'4" I fit comfortably enough but wouldn't want to take too long of a trip back there (of course I feel that way about all back seats).

15. Jan 25, 2007 at 10:30 AM
    SAM

SAM Member

Member:
    lexusoftrucks,

I was in a similar boat as you this past summer. I had a 2000 Access cab and once my wife became pregnant, we realized the Access cab wasn't going to cut it when the baby arrives.

I traded in the 2000 for a 2006 Double cab and have no real regrets. We looked at the new Access Cabs (I like the looks of them better compared to Dcabs) but not enough room for car seats. You will also find that the rear seats in the Dcabs are more comfortable for passengers.

I would recommend the Dcab for your situation even if it means taking a hit on your current truck.

SAM

16. Jan 25, 2007 at 10:34 PM
    Reapergm

Reapergm Member

Member:
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Indigo Ink, Dual Cab, TRD Sport, 4x4, Avic-d3, blah blah
    Forget the people. The doublecab is awesome for extra room that has environment protection. Several times have I had stuff in the bed that I could put a cover over, but I have room to shove all my work stuff in the back seat, plus fit my girlfriend in the front and my roommate in the back on the way to work. Its the best!

17. Jan 26, 2007 at 10:08 AM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you don't plan on kids, long road trips with 3+ people then go with the access cab. I think it just looks better than the double. If you do have a family and you do drive around all of your family/friends then go with the double. It's common sense!

specter208 likes this.
  18. Jan 31, 2007 at 4:32 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think kids are the big reason to get the double. My youngest is 15 and if he has to ride in the back its for short trips and if he has his PSP we could roll over and he wouln't even know. The wife and girlfriend rarely ride with me and never together LOL. I'm not asked to be a designated driver either.

19. Feb 2, 2007 at 6:43 AM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geez, I hope I didn't scare everyone off this thread with the wife/girlfriend comment?

20. Feb 2, 2007 at 7:48 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    nah, we are just trying to figure out if you serious... :eek:

Products Discussed in