1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind Noise, access cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rehabber, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Jan 24, 2007 at 5:52 AM
    Rehabber

Rehabber [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport Access, Barcelona Red
    Anyone have problems with wind noise coming from behind the driver in the access cab? Problem starts at over 40 MPH. Checked all of the door seals and none are out of place or twisted. Vehicle is an '07. Any TSB's out?

Thanks for the help

2. Jan 27, 2007 at 5:39 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I have a new 06 bought in Oct. I don't have wind noise, ie. leaks and whistles but there seems to be a lot of aero noise at 60mph, in other words just the force of the air passing by is the noise that I hear. Just a design problem but like I said no leaks or whistles.

Jeff
    06, 6spd,4x4 acc cab V6

3. Jan 27, 2007 at 5:44 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Rehabber:

Do you have any add ons such as window visors, Back-Rack, hood mounted stuff like CB antenna's......?

4. Jan 27, 2007 at 6:57 AM
    Rehabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    The only exterior add on is an Extrang Trifecta tonneau cover. Seems to be tight all around. Never leaks going thru the car wash.

5. Jan 27, 2007 at 6:01 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Good place to start. Take if off and give the process of elimination a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

6. Jan 28, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    john3:16

john3:16 Active Member

Member:
    simi valley
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 4x4 Debadged
    TRD Catback Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, Eclipse AVN 6620
    when the winds hit and cross my car my car tends to whistle as well, is this normal?

7. Jan 31, 2007 at 12:01 PM
    Rehabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Exactly my problem John. Noise is more noticable depending on sidewind direction. Stuffed a towel in the exterior lower cavity of the access door and no more noise.
    Nice that I found the source of the problem but there is no practical way to fix it. Just a design flaw.

8. Jan 31, 2007 at 12:09 PM
    RAPOM

RAPOM Well-Known Member

Member:
    I was going to say I did the same thing as Rehabber, once I loaded up work gloves, shop rags, couple spare T-shirts it hasn't been that bad. I have noticed that loose stuff in the little storage compartments make a lot of noise over bumps, but thats another story.

9. Jan 31, 2007 at 7:16 PM
    Kev

Kev Member

Member:
    My new 07 has wind noise on the freeway from about 50 mph on up. Dealer states the noise comes from the lower seal of the rear access cab door and that Toyota is aware of the problem...however there is no fix at this time as it appears to be a design flaw. Dealer stated to check back periodically as they did expect something to develop overtime ---

10. Jan 31, 2007 at 10:12 PM
    john3:16

john3:16 Active Member

Member:
    simi valley
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD OFF ROAD 4x4 Debadged
    TRD Catback Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, Eclipse AVN 6620
    what a bummer, i was looking to see if i could have it fixed under warrenty, but i guess not, its not that bad but it can just get a little obnoxious when cross winds hit the car, not a biggy, still a great great truck, gotta love em

11. Feb 1, 2007 at 12:03 PM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Great work at problem solving, Rehabber and everyone, I was wondering since stuffing that lower cavity solved the problem, I was thinking that maybe Toyota assemblers for got to seal up an opening behind that panel, with the plastic sheeting or what ever they use these days.
    In other situations years ago, they used to seal unused openings with a heavy saran wrap type material to keep noise and cold air and moisture from getting on the back of the panel. Perhaps when in a warm garage the panel might be removed and then inspected. Just a thought, it would not be the first time someone on the assembly line forgot something.

Jeff
    06, acc cab, V6 , 6spd, bone stock taco SR5

12. Feb 2, 2007 at 6:38 AM
    Rehabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Jeff, did you stuff the interior door pocket to stop the noise? I was talking about the cavity on the lower outside of the access door facing the bed. It's big enough to stick a hand into. I thought the wind was swirling around inside there.

13. Feb 2, 2007 at 8:24 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Rehabber, no I did not, my wind noise is what I call aero noise, wind going by the cab, at speed of over 50. Not necessarily whistling just more noise than with other vehicles I have owned and driven lately( my friends, 06 Denali) and this is just a design problem and wind noise is a criteria that car magazines often mention in there tests.

What I do have is a rattle, which seems to be in the rear of the cab and I have checked to make sure things are tight, its not there all the time, just over certain bumps etc. It sounds like there is something loose, in the area of the jack under the jump seat.

Jeff
    06,4x4,V6,6spd,acc cab bone stock so far.
    When my truck goes in for its 5000 oil change, which I will have a dealer do, I will mention it to them.

14. Feb 2, 2007 at 11:08 AM
    Kev

Kev Member

Member:
    Jeff,

I too had a "rattle" from that same area and it sounded like something was loose when hitting bumps, etc...came to find out it was the passenger seat belt hitting against the padded stop on the pillar. The projection of the sound fooled me as it sounded like it was coming from behind where it actually was. It would come and go (when someone was sitting there I could never duplicate it as they had the belt on). May not be a player in your noise but wanted to pass it on.

Kev

15. Mar 9, 2007 at 9:36 PM
    mugu07taco

mugu07taco Member

Member:
    I noticed wind noise as well. I just crank the music up louder. Annoying though when trying to talk on the phone. Would be nice if they recalled and fixed.

16. Mar 10, 2007 at 10:56 AM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 Member

Member:
    I just bought an 07 double cab and I get wind noise but it sounds like its coming through the front doors by the mirrors. it might only be aero noise but it is a little annoying. I hope there is a fix for this

17. Apr 14, 2007 at 4:42 PM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    This thread sounds depressing??? They knew about the problems, but didn't fix them for the 2007's? I may now hold off until the 08's come out!!

18. Apr 15, 2007 at 6:51 AM
    evolution6972

evolution6972 Well-Known Member

Member:
    on my 05 there is heat shields under the truck and its really windy and when i get on intterstate it makes so much noise in a strong wind when i first hear it i thought mt transmission was gettting bad till i looked under and saw the foil pans they attached to the bottom

19. Apr 16, 2007 at 10:15 PM
    Steve762us

Steve762us Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a 07 Access cab, I'm getting an intermittent noise with cross winds...sounds like a mix of nails on a blackboard and a kazoo. Sounds like it's coming from the top of the windshield, center or passenger side. I've had the truck three weeks, and haven't took it in for a write-up yet. No external accessories or modifications.

20. Apr 20, 2007 at 1:14 AM
    pb2themax

pb2themax Mod Master

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Access cabs have a vent in the back wall of the cab. It's behind the seat panels. It releases pressure when you turn on the A/C, and when you slam your door shut. You can partially seal off this vent and it can reduce some of that wind noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top