1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thoughts about manual vs automatic transmissions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ultima GTR Guy, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Dec 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    Ultima GTR Guy

Ultima GTR Guy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport
    I have an '09 Doublecab with automatic Trans and was wondering if someone has a 4L motor with manual trans and your impressions of the manual. I only have 20k miles on mine and am already wishing I got 4 wheel drive and perhaps the manual trans. We spent some time up in the local mountains with snow over the holidays and the 4x4 would have come in very handy. In addition, the 6th gear would give a little better gear choice over the automatic.

Your comments?
    Paul

2. Dec 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    i have a 6spd manual and when i use it the rpms on the tach only seem to drop by a few hundred at best. almost not even worth having the 6th gear. ill check again tomorrow with some better #s.

3. Dec 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I personally love having the 6 spd manual simply because I prefer to drive with a manual transmission. Unfortunately, I think the 6 spd manual transmission is geared too low. Or maybe if it just had "taller" gears, it would be better.

Your automatic actually has a higher top gear than 6th gear with the manual. That's why the automatic equipped Tacoma has better gas mileage ratings. I get my worst gas mileage moving at high speeds on the interstate. I'm running at over 2500, maybe over 2700 rpm, at average highway speeds.

4. Dec 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I heard the 2nd Gen Tacos have got one of the best auto trannys out there...FWIW

5. Dec 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Tex4141

Tex4141 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    Lemoore
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Sport
    None yet......trying to figure out where to start ;)
    Great thread, keep it goin!! :thumbsup: I was actually thinking about this the other day. I know there was an older thread awhile back regarding this, but I can't seem to find it :frusty:
    As I had posted earlier, I was talking about trading my newer 2W Taco for a 4x4. Maybe we could get some off-roading input as well as the general auto vs manual? Which is better / easier / more control (duh) / etc, etc..

Didn't mean to threadjack, please continue :D:D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Burgman [​IMG]
    its funny that ur "old" truck is newer than ur "new" truck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacomaman06 [​IMG]
    :D....yeah, but i like my "new" old truck better than my "old" new truck!

6. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    Ultima GTR Guy

Ultima GTR Guy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport
    Great posts guys! Thanks for the comments. I was searching Toyota.com and couldn't find the specific gear ratios for either trans. Is this 4 wheel drive system really awd or not? How good is this truck offroad compared to a Jeep Grand Cherokee for example.

Paul

7. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    putawaywet

putawaywet Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    I test drove both the auto and the 6-spd before buying the 6-spd. That had more to do with me just not being ready to drive an auto than it did with me being impressed with the 6-spd. The gears are too close together on the 6-spd - it's like they took the range of a 5-spd and divided it 6 ways instead. When I drive under normal conditions, my RPMs never move outside of 1500 - 2000... Except for on the highway, where they're up around 2500. Maybe if there were a 7th gear on top, it would be better on gas on the highway. I like the close spacing for things like towing, hauling heavy loads, and maybe off-roading in 4HI - I've got my class A CDL, and this truck with the 6-spd shifts a lot like a class 8 truck :rolleyes: I think it's overkill for a truck with a payload capacity this small. And don't most people who plan on towing a bunch go with an automatic anyway? The gas mileage is the thing that gets me. I've never heard of an auto that gets better mileage than a standard in the same vehicle. I'm thinking of increasing my gear ratio with larger tires to hopefully increase my gas mileage...

8. Dec 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i got the auto cause i drive stick for a living and when im done for the day the last thing i wanna do is shift more to get home.plus we have a jeep thats manual and fun to drive.just not in my dd.

9. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I also have a 09 double with the auto. I was looking for a manual, but this truck had what i wanted but with a automatic. I do admit it did shift a little funny at first, but it seems to be fine now. have about 8000 miles on it so far. Dont think the 6-speed would make much of a difference. I do enjoy driving a stick, but dont mind having the automatic. It was good having the auto because i got the auto-start installed and i have really been enjoying that since its in the 20s right now. All my trucks have been 4x4, just because of the snow. But had a 4x4 in virginia also

10. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I've seen the gear ratios listed before, can't remember where though. It was probably here.

11. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I've considered the same thing. Or maybe just different rear end gearing would help? I don't really want to mess with that though.

I agree, the transmission is geared toward towing. I very rarely tow anything though. Now, I will say, the one time that I did tow something fairly substantial, it handled it like a champ and had plenty of power. But the other 99.999% of the time it just kills my gas mileage.

12. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Don't the manuals have 4.10 gears and the autos have 3.73's ? That would explain te lower mpg's in the manual.

13. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    No, I believe they have the same final gearing. The difference is the auto's 5th gear is higher than the manual's 6th.

14. Dec 27, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    no 4.0l is 3.73

2.7l prerunner/ 4x4 4.10s (2nd gen)

i had no choice for auto/ manual i had to get the 5speed. BTW as far as offroad capabilites these things crush most grand cherokees, especially stock ones. My stock Reg cab has the same ground clearance and wheelbase as a stock rubicon.

15. Dec 27, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    I went with a 6MT cause I just like rowing thru gears and would get bored on a daily basis with an AT.

RedTaco68 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top