1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Both low beam headlights out at the same time.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bcy2k1, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    bcy2k1

bcy2k1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Bloomington IN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma access cab 4x4
    Question? I have a 05 Tacoma 4x4 4.0 and the both headlights (Low Beam) Went out at the same time. Something has to be wrong. I replaced the factory bulbs with the silver stars less than 4 mos ago. I checked the fuses under the hood and seem to be ok. Fog lights work and so do high beams. I called toyota and they say its the headlight swich but wanted to ask everybody what they think. Any suggestions before I spend $120 bucks on this? HELP!!!:D

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    Nope, believe it or not, it's a common thing. I run higher wattage bulbs with a heavy wiring harness and every single time (3X now) I burn out one bulb, the other one goes within ONE day. Sometimes the same day. Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com ) confirms this happens a lot. I don't know if it's a spike in voltage when one goes, or something like that, but it happens a lot. I carry 2 spare bulbs at all times. Replace your bulbs and see if they go at the same time next time too. I would NOT spend any money on switches!

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    bcy2k1

bcy2k1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Bloomington IN
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma access cab 4x4
    Thanks,

I will try that. I just hated to put $50 dollar headlights in if they are not the problem. I will prob just go and get some regular ones and go from there. Thanks. appreciate it.

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Use a multimeter or a 12 volt test light. A cheap test light can be had for less than $5 and you'll be surprised how many times you will use it confirming power, looking for good grounds, etc.

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    I had that happen on my blazer, both lowbeam bulbs burned out the exact same time, check the bulbs first.

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    I believe there is a thread on here about bulb life....and the silverstars have shorter life expectancies.....and it is even pointed out on the silverstar package......(assuming you are talking about the ultras).

But ............I have had mine do the same thing on the 2000 Taco I had. I suspect there is a momentary surge as the voltage/current used on the circuit changes.

Products Discussed in

To Top