1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loud Clicking Noise...Front End or Tranny?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Yesterday I drove to work in 2WD, except in the parking lot where I had to use 4WD to get up into the parking space.

Last night I was taking a guy home from work and heard this loud clicking noise coming from the bottom, front part of the truck. It could be heard over the radio. He lives about 5 miles from work and by the time we got to his place the clicking was mostly gone.

It seemed to be connected to vehicle speed. I'd push the clutch in and give it gas and the noise would not change. It went away when we stopped and started again when we got going. It was the same whether we were going straight or turning. I started out in 4WD leaving the parking lot and switched back to 2WD when we hit the mains and it was still there. I can't remember (I was tired) but I think the noise was worse in 4WD. I don't remember being able to feel the clicking through the steering wheel or seat. As we got closer to his house the clicking noise decreased in volume.

Any ideas what this could be? The heater was just starting to work when we got to his place and when I started take myself home it was gone. I've got about 2500 miles on the truck.

I won't be able to take it in to Toyota for a few days at least. I'm working snow removal and we're supposed to get 5+" inches tomorrow so I'll need my truck to get back and forth. We're working fucked up hours...3PM to 3AM, 12 on 12 off.

2. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Brake dust cover? Did you look underneath to see if you'd picked up a stick or other clinger? Take a look in the daylight, if you can.

Products Discussed in

To Top