1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Topper camper shell cap locks freezing up

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by "OldManTan", Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I am sick of the locks on my cap always freezing up. I have tried my best to keep them lubed and use the lock deicer too. Leaving them unlocked is not an option. I have searched online and on here and have yet to find anyone who has installed a DIY electric lock solution. I found this on e-bay and seems a good deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem=&item=400103262044&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=4663860111b0a0435981ab01fffa9aed&ua=WXI7&itemid=400103262044

I have the dual handles so I would need an extra actuator or fab up some sort of bars connecting the two. I am not concerned about the wiring as much as the fab work and best way to make it work, and work well. I also can't have the system failing on me. One reason why I don't like the above remote and would feel better with a hard wired switch inside the cab. Just wondering if anyone has done it or have some good ideas on how to do it. Thanks as always for everyones input, this is a great sight with some great people!! :cool:

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    I had a problem with mine freezing. Now I use a dry teflon lubricant for bicycle chains that works great. I just give everything a squirt every 3 months or so. Haven't had a problem since.

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" [OP] Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.

4. Feb 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    [quote="OldManTan";1449092]Actually I did try the exact same thing last time I lubed them, and still frozen. And I mean by ice not corrosion.[/quote]

Bummer. Last year we got alot of freezing rain and teens to low-20's weather and I didn't have any issues at all with the dry teflon (Finish Line).

5. Dec 26, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    Grug

Grug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share my solution to frozen cap handles / locks. On my Tacoma, I have a Leer cap which has two T-handles. I was also getting continual freeze ups. I tried a variety of lubricants, but the results were inconsistent. So I used grey, round foam plumbing pipe insulation (the kind that keeps your copper pipes from 'sweating' in muggy weather). It looks kinda' like a pool noodle, but much smaller in diameter. I cut each piece about 4" long and slid it over each handle. It might not be the prettiest, but it works!

22Coma6MT likes this.
  6. Dec 27, 2022 at 7:50 AM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    In addition to keeping it lubed, when I know it's going to be icy I try to remember to put a piece of tape over the key hole. I keep a roll of electrician's tape in the tool bag anyways. Kind of a PITA if you're going in there frequently, such as while on a trip or camping, so the pipe insulation sounds kinda brilliant.

Grug likes this.
  7. Dec 27, 2022 at 1:30 PM
    HeyB

HeyB Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCLB
    I live in the midwest snowbelt and spend a fair amount of time in the snow/sleet/slushy cr@p.

Possibly not helpful, but I have a power lock on my current cap (first winter) and it's about the greatest thing since sliced bread. So convenient to just hit the factory remote door lock/unlock and know everything in the bed is secured too. Have not had an icing issue so far. Mine is factory installed, but sure there's an aftermarket set-up that works.

Hopefully more helpful, on an older truck, had a cap with a single T-handle. When it was installed, it had a rubber cover over the handle/lock core and the installer went out of his way to tell me to always keep it on to prevent icing. It's the type of thing you might just discard as it's another step to locking/unlocking the t-latches. Honestly, made all the difference in the world as I only had the lock freeze up once in 8 years. Quickly realized I could just keep it in the glove box most of the year and put it on thru the winter months.

Try googling "rubber t-handle cover" or similar. Looks like a pair costs $5-10 bucks online, so possibly a cheap fix.

Best of luck!

B

Bajatacoma, Grug and Steves104x4 like this.
  8. Dec 27, 2022 at 2:03 PM
    Grug

Grug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Hey there, HeyB. A power lock sounds sweet!

Yes, I've seen the rubber covers on-line. But the best price I saw was $40 for a pair (on Amazon.ca). To be clear, I'm in Canada and there are on-line US sellers, but by the time I pay shipping, duty fees and the currency conversion, I'm in for far more than I'd hoped.

My pipe insulation fix will certainly be only a winter application. With the arrival of spring and consistent temperatures above freezing, the locks work flawlessly.

(By the way, I love having a cap in winter. Keeps the bed free of snow and it's a little extra traction weight in the rear end for icy / snowy roads.)

Cheers and happy new year! :)

HeyB likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:

Hmm, things I didn't know I needed. Guessing shipping is going to double the price but still better than tape that'll only stick to itself when the handle is wet (I just do a diagonal loop back onto itself to get it to stick). Not something I'd need often at all, but as you said, easy to toss in the glove box until needed.

https://www.safeandlockstore.com/automotive/rubber-cover-for-t-are-handle-rc773/
    https://truckoutfittersplus.com/ARE-T-Handle-Cover.html

10. Dec 29, 2022 at 3:43 AM
    Grug

Grug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Yeah, and for me (in Canada) shipping, duty fees and a 30% on the dollar exchange rate will make the price even higher. In the end, the ones below on the Canadian version of Amazon (Amazon.ca) will probably end up being cheaper (free shipping, no exchange rate and no duty). But for $33, I'll stick with the pipe insulation. For now, at least.

https://www.amazon.ca/Dust-Cover-TC...08&sprefix=t-handle+dust+cover,aps,431&sr=8-3

11. Dec 29, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    Bajatacoma

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Jeez :eek:, you don't know anyone in the US that could send you a late "secret Santa" gift from the gift exchange? It's under the $60 limit (It's been a while since I sent anything up there but assuming that's still the same- I wouldn't put anything past Castro's kid). Or better yet, anyone coming to visit the US that could just pick one up.

12. Dec 29, 2022 at 6:05 AM
    HeyB

HeyB Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD OR DCLB
    Sorry, didn’t know you were north of the border, and WOW, I knew duty and taxes added up but no idea they were that crazy expensive!

Totally understand now why my Ontario friends have packages shipped to my house regularly with little concern on when I’m coming over to fish next. I’d happily wait too!

Agreed, cap in the winter is a game changer. Dry, and much warmer than a tent or hammock when the mercury is low.

Nice job with the pipe foam bush fix and have a very Happy New Year!

B

13. Jan 6, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    Grug

Grug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Here's an image after a recent day of freezing rain / ice pellets.

Slide the pipe insulation off and the key easily inserts and turns the T-handle.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 5.51.25 PM.jpg

HeyB likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top