1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Third brake light / cargo light *pics*

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bryan07sport, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    Integrated cargo light in the third brake mod.
    Hey. Haven't seen anyone do this so i thought i'd share. Some of you have done great jobs with aftermarket lights in the bed but i wanted something a little more factory looking. Materials:

-Light (I used one off the a chevy colorado. I looked at all the trucks with them and liked how they looked the best. Some mount at weird angles too, so they'd never work)

-Switch (I used one of the ones on ebay with the yellow LED's that fit into our slots.

-Add a circuit

-Wire

I put the add a circuit in the power door locks slot because it's on whether the truck is or not.
    [​IMG]

Ran the red wire to the supply on the switch, grounded the switch on one of the bolts down behind the kick panel, and ran the load wire down next to the seat under that cowling to the back panel with the seatbelt on it. That panel has a 10mm bolt that you need to take out to get it off. (just chased the brake light wire the whole way. Above the headliner and out through the hole.
    [​IMG]
    The light was tough to get off, it has an adhesive gasket which i carefully ran a razor behind to cut off so as not to scratch or dent the metal around it.
    Measured the new light to determine the size hole i'd need to fit it in there. (had to cut about 1x3 inches off each side) This part was really scary. It's tough to cut into your truck. Used a dremel cutting disk. (Be careful, its easy for that disk to grab and want to run up your paint. I just used masking tape to mark the hole i needed and cut inside it.
    [​IMG]
    After the hole was cut i cut off the plug from the new light and from my truck and wired the grounds together, the brake light wire, and then the new wire which powers the white lights. (i wedged something against the brake pedal and tested the wires to determine which was which.)
    I just used black RTV silicone and ran a bead around the back of the light to seal it to the truck. Drilled 2 small pilot holes for the screws and just screwed them right into the metal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't mind the dents in the roof. they were there when i bought the truck, apparently used as a bench for a fatass. also sorry about all the salt. its snowed a ton here in the last week.

Love this mod. used it tonight while sawing on the tailgate. Really bright and had it on for like 2 hours with the truck off and no problem. let me know what you think!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Sassy's dad, JGO and Reechkeesh like this.
  2. Feb 21, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Well done, sir!

3. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    That's nice! Great job!

4. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    bigyetti

bigyetti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    asheville, nc
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 short bed
    sirius satilite radio, more on the way when i get more money. oh ya removed the secondary filter
    Sweet. i might have to give this one a shot some time. great write up

5. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    Great mod.

6. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    great job!...I was going to do the same thing to my truck a couple years back, but pussied out once stuff started breaking..lol

7. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I always wondered why all trucks dont come with this done. I mean its so simple. Good job though, thanks for posting.

sandtaco2016 likes this.
  8. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Looks great and it definitely looks oem-ish.

9. Feb 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Great Job!

10. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    haha nvm found this thread...looks mean! and i was right!

11. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Awesome, got ballz man. The only thing I might have done diff was put it upside-down... I think it'd flow with the truck's lines better. Still, awesome job!

Sassy's dad likes this.
  12. Feb 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
    Awesome mod! I miss not having a cargo light. It's one of those things that you never realize just how useful it is until you've had one.

sandtaco2016 likes this.
  13. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    Bryan07sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    I know what you mean but it's not flat, it has an angle to it to compensate for the fact that the roof isn't flat there. if it was upside down it would point up in the air. thanks though!

14. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Nice. This needs to be added into the mods sticky.

Don't think I have the nards myself to cut into my truck, but great work.

15. Feb 22, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    2007TacBorla4X4

2007TacBorla4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4 Short Bed
    Borla cat back, K&N cold air, Silver star bulbs, Nerf bars,NEW BFG, Weather teck windows, Flash light on the drivers seat, TRD off Road ft tow hook, Rear driving lights on bumper, Weather teck windows & ft bug guard, 4X4 switch glows, Windows tinted 20% sun shade
    Looks GREAT.....

16. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    tooxslick

tooxslick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    South San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 BSP Access Cab
    LED Interior, MagLite Mount, BHLM, Limo Tint, Fog Lights, HIDs, PA15-TOY, DTRL, ReadyLIFT SST 2.75", Maplight Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal, Black Interior, Debadged, AFE Stage II Intake, "Deckplate Mod", Satoshi grill.
    Thanks Bryan. This is an awesome mod! I also agree that this sound be stickied.

17. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Nice job Bryan! I was stopped @ a triffic light behind a Colorado last night and was thinking... Toyota should have cargo lights like that. Definitely got more nads than I do to go cuttin on my truck.

sandtaco2016 likes this.
  18. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    06WHITETRD

06WHITETRD Gotta Love my Taco!!!!

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma OFF-ROAD
    Tinted windows, window visors, XDI True Flow intake, White Devil Emblem, sport white grill, stubbie 6' antenna, TRD license plate frame,TRD Exhaust, weathertech floor front & rear, LED map/dome & license plate lights,Black Grille,T-Rex eyebrows,black Skid Plate,Lower bumper cover,Black emblems,white TRD Emblem,lamin-x yellow,Slotted & Cross Drilled rotors,Redline shocks(hood),HID 6k,more to come
    this should go on the mods thread.. great job.

19. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    Wow. Nice job Man! looks great!
    Curious why you put the 3rd brake light in so the contour sides go up instead of down?
    OEM light light goes this way,/ \ and the new light goes \ /
    Was that so it would fit?

20. Feb 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Bryan07sport

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Yeah. Someone said the same thing on a different thread. And yes, the light is designed to fit on the back of the truck where it's contoured upward, so the light has a 30 degree or so bevel to it to make it point straight back and not up. Had to shop around to find one that mounted on a similar angle as the tacomas actually. all trucks have different shapes back there.
    So yes it is angled differently than OEM, but I didn't have a choice, and actually like this way better. On cars, \ / tends to be more sporty and aggressive than / \.

Products Discussed in

To Top