1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TonnoPro Tri-Fold Soft Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by dcypher, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 3:31 AM
    dcypher

dcypher [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    W. PA
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC Tacoma SR5 TRD Off Road
    Has anyone ever had one of these or knows anyone that has. After looking at the specs and descriptions it looks very similar to the xTang Trifecta, the TorzaTop and Lund tri-folds, but over $100 less....lowest I've seen is $269.

The TonnoPro mentions a Dual-coated 24 oz. vinyl tarp as it's cover....the word "tarp" got my attention....is it the same quality cover as the others?

2. Mar 18, 2010 at 4:15 AM
    dave6558

dave6558 Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    rmote start. undercarriage backup lites, soon to have heated mirrors and signals
    I would not buy the Tonno Pro--there is a problem with it. At least for 2010's. If you have an over the rail bed liner, you will notice that the back rail against the cab is lower than the two side rails. Same for the tailgate. The Tonno Pro will leave a half inch space on both. I verified this with Tonno Pro--you can call and ask them. They say that their new cover which fixes this won't be out until May or June. I called Extang and they say the Trifecta does not have this problem. Check and see if your bed rails are flush all around the truck.

3. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:24 AM
    dcypher

dcypher [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    W. PA
    Vehicle:
    So if I don't have the over the rail bed liner I'd be OK...which I don't. I just have the stock rail caps. I'll definitely call beforehand. Thanks.

4. Mar 18, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    FishErTaco

FishErTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 DoubleCab 4x4 SR5
    Extang Trifecta tonneau, black textured N-Fabs, AFE Pro Dry S, WeatherTech vent visors, WeatherTech floormats
    I have the Extang Trifecta on my 2010 DC. Good quality tonneau, and no problems with the stock plastic over the rail bedliner. It came with connectors that fit right into the bed rail system.

5. Mar 18, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    dave6558

dave6558 Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    rmote start. undercarriage backup lites, soon to have heated mirrors and signals
    i don't know what you have, but look at the top rail of your box all the way around. If it dips down from your rail caps to the front (near the cab) rail of the box and the same for the tailgate, then you will have the space.

The height of the edge all the way around has to be even for the tonno pro.

You can call their factory and ask and they will confirm this. I only spoke to them two days ago.

6. Mar 19, 2010 at 3:18 PM
    dcypher

dcypher [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    W. PA
    Vehicle:
    I looked at mine and yes there is a gap....I'm guessing this will be an issue with any tri-fold that sits on top of the bedrails. Where does the bed seal go that is offered for free with alot of these tri-folds.
    IMG_4572_tw.jpgIMG_4573_tw.jpg

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    dave6558

dave6558 Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport
    As I said in my post, I called extang. They say their front and rear seals are thicker to get around the gap problem. They claim no space as the cover sits on the truck.

Tonno Pro said that their cover is being redesigned for the problem and they would not have the new cover until may or june. The old cover cannot be retrofitted. It is a whole new cover.

The seal they sent you is for around the tailgate. Personally, I've had tonneaus for years and never found the need to seal there. If anything, I would think it might hold water in.

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    wagg04

wagg04 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    m
    sk
    I purchased a Tonnopro folding soft cover for my 2010 Tacoma one year ago. My truck is babied, always garaged out of the weather, and never any abuse whatsoever to that cover, yet after less than one year, my Tonnopro has developed very unsightly wrinkles/folds....no longer the smooth attractive appearance it had when purchased. My wife (a seamstress) says the material was originally not sewn properly on the bias (whatever that means <G>)......all I know is that the cover is flawed, and Tonnopro wont honor their warrantee without extra expense on my part. I had a similar Torzatop folding soft cover on my last truck for 5 years, and it looked as good after those 5 years as it did when I bought it. For what its worth, I definitely cant recommend Tonnopro's product or their customer service.

hoangvo1992 likes this.
  9. Jan 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I've got an Extang Trifecta on my 2010 AC and can verify that the rubber seal at front and back is larger than on the side rails. I've had it on for about 10 months now, and it has been great. No leaks in heavy windswept rain. No leaks while driving in rain. And when buried in snow, it did not leak during snow melting. Only issue I've had is after a nasty freezing rain I could not open the tailgate till I heated a small bucket of warm water and poured it along the top edge. Of course, I did not try tri-folding it while frozen under a half inch of ice.

I know nothing about the Tonno-Pro, so I am not able to compare them.

10. May 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    kayrofly

kayrofly New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma

I have a 2011 Tacoma, I purchased the Tonno Pro tri fold. The front rail & tailgate are lower than the side rails. They haven't fixed the problem yet & customer service is extremely poor. They will send you a supposed fix (two 3 M rubber seals) You wouldn't even be able to close the tail gate if applied & they don't even tell whether to attach it to the tailgate or the existing seal. Hardly a fix! Don't buy if you have a Tacoma & are looking for dry truck bed from a honorable vendor.

11. May 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *

Here is a quick and easy fix for this problem: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...cover-front-edge-gap-leak-fix-cheap-easy.html

12. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I know this thread is dead but I had a Lund Tri fold and I was very happy with it. Thicker seals on the ends were thicker, the construction was very sturdy, and the cover material itself held up very nicely and never cracked even when folded up in sub freezing temps.

Products Discussed in

To Top