1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB done but question about shocks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wallytaco, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    wallytaco

wallytaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Access V6 OR
    I had the rear leaf TSB performed on my '10 Access Cab, which has the TRD Off Road package. Because I had read so much about the non-OR trucks getting the shock upgrade, I assumed they would just change out the leaf pack on my truck. So I was really surprised when I learned that they replaced all 4 shocks too. I no longer have the yellow and blue Bilsteins. Instead, they are an all black and slightly beefier shock. The work order lists the new shock set as part number 48530-09Q40. Not that it matters because I have the full OME suspension waiting to go on the truck, but was curious if anyone else had experienced the same thing.

2. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Sounds like they put on sr5 shocks. When I got the tsb done they put on yellow and blue ones on, with a new 3 leaf pack not the 4.

3. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    OP- I've heard about lots of folks getting these black shocks.
    And Senor- I've heard of lots of people getting 3 leaf packs.

And my advice is the same for both of you- Check the part numbers against the TSB. My dealership gave me a new 3 leaf pack the first time too....but it wasn't the right lead pack cause the part numbers didn't match.

4. Mar 20, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    x2

5. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    wallytaco

Member:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Access V6 OR
    Read the updated TSB that includes 09 and 10. Compared part numbers to work order and truck... everything matches. I now have the 4 leaf, and like I said originally, these brand new shocks will very soon be replaced by a set of OMEs.

Also compared my new shock part numbers to SR5 shocks, and these new black ones are definitely not SR5.

Just thought I'd share my experience, but thanks for the replies.

6. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    ^^I compared the part numbers and they are Sr5s [​IMG]

7. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Fed Taco

Fed Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cale
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Wheels & Tires, weathertech floor liners, Areo Turbine Exhaust
    I didn't get shocks at all, I still have to sort that our with the dealer. But I did get the 4 leaf pack.

8. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well...If Asgard is right and you have an SR5- Then you wouldn't get shocks. They were replacing them as an upgrade- so if you have the shocks already...Non issue.

Which brings me back to the checking part numbers. Dealers are people too and they do make mistakes- So double check their work.

9. Mar 20, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    moho

moho Member

Member:
    Ooops, I didn't even look till I got home an then said wtf. called the dealer an they said my billies are in the garbage (500 miles on them) an they will order me a new set. okay... where's this trd bin at? anyway I've got a set of 5100's sitting here an we'll see if the service manager is flexible enough to slap those on. if that works out I'm stoked. either way the new leafs do improve the drive

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    Damn. I'm getting my TSB done on my 09 on Tuesday, I better get the 4 leaf pack! And as for the shocks I suppose it really doesn't matter as I will be replacing them with the OME or the 5100's soon anyway...

Does anyone know why they're putting on another 3 leaf pack?

11. Mar 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    1) They are stupid or 2) They are stupid (at least in my case) I haven't seen the most up to date TSB or the spring packs...so it's possible that the new packs are 3 leaf...but I doubt it.

12. Mar 20, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    If they order per the part numbers on the revised TSB you should get the 4 leaf packs.

13. Mar 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    wallytaco

Member:
    Pittsfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM Access V6 OR
    You are correct... I took a look further down in the TSB and it clearly states that the dealer is only supposed to change the rear leafs on TRD models. However, for non TRD trucks, they are installing the part number I listed in the OP. So, it looks like SR5s will be getting the updated black shock going forward, not the TRD package.

Now I need to call the service guy and see if they too pitched my Bilsteins in the garbage. Even though I'm putting new shocks on the truck anyway, I feel like I got cheated in some way here...

Products Discussed in

To Top