Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Headliner removal (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/8794-headliner-removal.html)

YotaCraZ 05-07-2008 05:27 PM

Headliner removal

Has anyone removed/reinstalled their headliner? If so, is it a molded piece and how is it held up? Was it a difficult process?

As we've all discovered, our rooftops are manufactured from recyled tuna cans. The other day I got caught in a hard downpour and it sounded as if I was being pelted with hailstones the size of golfballs.

I'm contemplating removing the healiner and insulating the roof with a Dynamat-like acoustic deadening material.

Thoughts?

SteelCity 05-07-2008 06:32 PM

I did my roof with Raammat and its much better now. After you undo the console, you have to pop the map light out (don't have to undo the whole thing). After you get the headliner loose, just bend the sucker and pull it right out. Don't worry, it snaps back into shape without leaving creases or anything.

semper000 05-07-2008 07:16 PM

I just removed my headliner this past Saturday. The overhead console is held by a single screw in the sunglass compartment, remover, and the console should come down, as the back end is held in by hooks. The back hanger hooks (a DC that is) are removed simply by twisting them 90 degrees and pulling them out. Sorry cant remember if it was clockwise or counter clockwise. I messes up my front sun visor hooks, I pulled them out and I sheered off the plastic clips. I guess I have to buy more from the dealer. Dont know if anyone else has better advice to get those front mirror clips without damaging them. The rest of the things holding the liner up should be easy to spot, front A-Pillars, back plastic molding etc. Once you drop the liner part of the way down. The clip for the light should be easy to reach from the back. Then cut the tape that holds down the wires on the liner that go to the center console and the light. Just fold the seats back all the way so they don't get in the way and the liner should bend and flex pretty easily. I installed Raammat and Ensolite to the roof. Doesn't sound as "pingy" as it did before.

YotaCraZ 05-08-2008 04:33 AM

Thanks guys - I'll be attempting this within the next couple of weeks. I'll try to take pictures of the process for others to use.

nermalgod 05-24-2008 08:34 PM

So did you ever take pictures?

According to Toyota's FSM, you have to remove the whole instrument panel, rear seat backs, and all interior trim including the scuff plates on the bottom of the door. I'm not willing to do that much work.

YotaCraZ 05-26-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nermalgod (Post 98465)
So did you ever take pictures?

Due to other priorities I've not been able to get to this as of yet. It is on the "things to do" list but not a pressing issue at the moment. When I do get to it, I'll take pics.

According to Toyota's FSM, you have to remove the whole instrument panel, rear seat backs, and all interior trim including the scuff plates on the bottom of the door. I'm not willing to do that much work.

That sounds a tad much for just the headliner. I wouldn't rip that much out unless I was going to dynamat the entire cab.

patrickockander 11-17-2009 10:06 AM

I'm contemplating removing my headliner today...planning on modding my 3rd brake light with a video camera...don't know what the back of the light housing looks like...don't want to pry and break it if it's screwed down...has anyone seen what the back of the 3rd brake light looks like when the headliner is removed?