1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06' 4.0L best headers and exhaust for THROATY sound?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by preston.shockley, May 26, 2010.

1. May 26, 2010 at 4:05 AM
    preston.shockley

preston.shockley [OP] Member

Member:
    i have recently got my 06' 4.0L ext. cab (pictures posted soon) and i am in decison of the exhaust i wish to purchase! i want a really throaty and decently load growl. can anyone help me out here? ive heard bob thorley headers are good for taco's and that the flowmaster 50 series is a prity rowdy exhaust, is this true? or what is the best set up for power and sound???? all comments are apreciated!!!

2. May 26, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome to TW preston. Head on over to the performance and tuning forum (link below) and search around a bit. This is a fairly common topic.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/performance-tuning/

Long story short is that there are many exhausts to choose from and everyone has a different opinion. You are best off going to a meet and hearing different exhaust in person, and picking your favorite.

3. May 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    preston.shockley

Member:
    thankyou very much, i apreciate it alot. this site is much better then the rest everyone is out to help each other. none of that BS drama, u guys rock!

4. May 26, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    preston.shockley

Member:
    BTW may i ask where you purchased you mesh grill?????

5. May 26, 2010 at 5:22 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    For the Doug thorley headers your gonna need a O2 simulater. JBA also makes headers for tacomas, but your gonna have to weld those on. 4 wheel parts qouted me a price around $900 and it was gonna take all day maybe the following day also (IDK why), but since the JBA headers are shorty headers they won't give you as much power. As far as mufflers the flowmaster will give you a loud, throaty sound but might rob you of power cause of all the baffles. So I would go with a straight flow muffler.I have a Magnaflow straight flow muffler and I like it a lot. Also If you add a CAI it will be even louder. Or just a high flow drop in filter will do. I had the aFe pro dry s and it made the muffler sound louder, but I went back to OEM case it easier just to take it out and pop a new one in. Rather than washing it and waiting for it to air dry.

6. May 26, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    *DOUG Thorley headers, not Bob.

My mesh grille is a from grillecraft. We had a group buy for them a few months ago from truckalterations.com

7. May 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    preston.shockley

Member:
    i ment *doug* i apoligize, and yea i know the shorty headers can rob a lil power but i didnt know they had to be welded making them permenentot that big of deal though do they have to be welded to headers or do u just have to weld the cats to the other side? also how much power loss are we talking going wit the flowmaster like just a few ponys?

8. May 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    They cut the exsaust manifolds off and then weld the headers above the cats (some one correct me if I am wrong) I had wrote "Offroad Adventures" a email asking if just welding on a muffler will give me just as much power,mpg, blah blah blah. As compared to a full cat back they said yes they also told me that a high flow exsaust system (not including headers) will give you .5 HP. So I guess you would lose that much.

9. May 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    preston.shockley

Member:
    oh ok, im not worried about power too much, i meen yes i need it with the lift i am putting on it but i am possibly supercharging so, im just more woried about having a really throaty and growling rowdy exhuast you know what i am saying? like not "ricey" i hate that, i now i cant make it sound like a v8 but i kow there is some rowdy exhuast u can get

10. May 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    you cut off the cats from your OEM heads and have those welded onto the JBA shorties.

you can get an O2 sim to turn off the check engine light when installing the DTLH...or you can also purchase the APR X-1 tuner that will not only turn off the check engine light but also tune your ECU for the DTLH and give you optimum performance out of them...keep in mind that with the DTLH you lose a little low end because of the design it moves the power higher up on the power band...so you gain more mid-range to top-end HP...

another thing to keep in mind that there are 2 versions of the DTLH...version 2 has the same size piping but the outlet right off the top are opened up more to help stop rasp and help create a better flowing exhaust giving you even more TQ/HP. the gen2 are made more for those that have a f/i setup...

if you need more help either post up or pm me...good luck and keep us posted...:p

11. May 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    ashleyvh

ashleyvh Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ashley
    saraland
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRnr
    magnaflow muffler, K&N filter, MAF sensor restrictor
    I've had both magnaflow and flowmasters on many vehicles. I like the magnaflows myself. I'm waiting on my URD off-road y-pipe to arrive. I've also installed a off-road y-pipe on everything I've owned and it makes alot more of a diference than headers. I don't think there's much of a need for headers until you get into increasing compression or fuel flow. The y-pipe also greatly amplifies the sound of your exhaust regardless of what muffler you choose. I've gotten at least 10 extra hp of every y-pipe I've installed according to the dynos

Products Discussed in

To Top