1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Infant Car Seat

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by andru50, May 27, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    andru50

andru50 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    2010 SR5 Access Cab

Toyota claims they "prioritize" safety...
    Can anyone tell me the name and brand of a rear facing-infant car seat, or even a front facing seat, that will fit behind the Driver seat?
    Apparently they relocated the CHild Safety Anchor Points behind the driver
    WHY?

2. May 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    one reason is psychological...in the event of an accident, you are more apt to turn away from a wreck, which would put a child behind the passenger seat in more danger.

the other may be that it's easier/more convenient to drop a baby in a car seat if it's behind the driver and not behind the passenger?

ACs aren't to well known for child seats. my reason for a DC.

3. May 27, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I don't know if there's a specific reason for Toyota doing that but as the driver you would want your child where you can get to him/here more easily. Having to run around the vehicle in the event of an emergency is rather inconvenient.

4. May 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    There is no way in hell you are getting a rear facing car seat behind the driver seat in an Access Cab unless the driver is 4 ft tall.

Even then I bet it wouldn't fit without coming into contact with the seat.

I have a forward facing seat in a Double Cab and the car seat isn't more than 6-7 in from the back of the front seats.

5. May 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Yes, I would imagine that would be about impossible. The only place I could put a rear facing seat in my DC was the middle.

This is what happened when I tried it in my truck:

TacomaCarSeatweb_2e9f934d72b99424caac1b5c4d9573da78198fab.jpg

As you can see, the seat would not fit into the base. Of course, there was the "drive like a dwarf" idea where I pull the sit up into an uncomfortable position but that just wasn't going to work.

6. May 28, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    Access cabs are not made for child car seats. Way too small. You can double check your manual but for the kid's sake don't do it!

7. May 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Well..This is wrong. The AC's come with the latch system in the rear. Mine is on the passenger side- and the seat is cozy, but works just fine- front or rear facing.

8. May 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    Yeah this is wrong. The carseat in my access cab is locked in with the clamps. You lay the seat flat and buckle the safety belt and that seat ain't goin nowhere. Not sure If it would do the rear facing infant seat, and I hope I won't have to find out anytime soon.

9. May 28, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Above being said- I wouldn't buy an AC again to try and fit an car seat in it and I don't know that a car seat behind the driver would be comfortable at all...

10. May 28, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    Tidrow

Tidrow Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    PreRunnin' 08
    BHLM, All Black grill, Fog light Mod, AFE pro dry, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Kenwood deck, Bridgestone AT Revo 2
    yeah, I guess we are lucky with the 08's

11. May 28, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    whitebread

whitebread Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR 4x4 6MT
    This is the reason why I had to get a DC...originally had my eye on an AC. A rear racing fits okay in any position with the DC. :pout:

12. May 28, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah...I didn't even think about the whole seat thing- Cause I bought my truck in May of 08 and found out we'd be having the baby in July.

I'm sure I coulda figured out something to get a DC- but I didn't think that far ahead. I really like my AC (Long bed, 6 Speed- Can't get that in a DC).

13. May 28, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    andru50

andru50 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    same same
    so i bought the AC about two months ago knowing that i was gonna have a baby (previously owned a 2dr JeepWrangler) and the salesman ensured me a infant seat would fit. He even printed out names of brands (Graco Snugride, Chicco Keyfit, Safety1st etc.) Now ...after the purchase.. none of those seats fit.. at all.. behind the driver OR passenger... im screwwed.. I contacted Toyota Canada and they said they couldnt release the names of the seats they tested for safety due to legal liabilities... like WTF??

Any suggestions for me.. i already wrote a letter to the president of toyota canda...

14. May 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    i just had a son 2 weeks ago...his Safety1st car seat sits on my passenger side rear facing of course...with no fitment issues...its sturdy as hell...and he enjoys riding in the truck...:D

I have the locking baseplate as well...that way when my son is asleep I can easily remove him in his car seat with a squeeze of the button...moving the passenger seat forward a little helps get him in and out even quicker...

are you sure your installing the car seat correctly...

15. May 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I wouldn't dream of buying an Access Cab for use with a car seat. To cramped no matter where you put it and trust me, when kid gets bigger it will kick your ass lifting the seat and kid in and out of the truck without a full size door. I've been there.

16. May 28, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    joleger

joleger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    Same here. It is a tight fit but it works. The wife has to pull her seat ahead. My taco is not my little guy's main mode of transport but it is good to know that the seat will fit if necessary.

BTW - I have a Graco rear facing child seat.

17. May 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    I don't have the child safety latch system in my 07. I have to use the safety belt!!!

For that reason my kid has only been in my truck Once!!

18. May 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    i have a 2008, i had a rear facing one in mine for the first year. here the child must
    be 1 year old and at least 25lbs before they can get a front one.
    the rear one was the type that had the base that styed in the car at all times.
    the seat clipped into the base. that is the way to go, freaking awsome. you just
    get several bases for diffrent vehicles, wife, grandparents, etc. i was pissed when
    she out grew it. it was made by chicco.

i have a front facing one now by recaro, it is the mack daddy of car seats. only the
    best for my little girl.:D

19. May 28, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    my bad, you said access cab. that's why i bought a 4 door.

20. May 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Recaro. I want one. Way $$$$$. Where and how much did you spend if you don't mind me asking!?!?

Products Discussed in

To Top