Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen. Tacomas (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/)
-   -   Trans temp gauge (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/98315-trans-temp-gauge.html)

2.7taco 06-17-2010 01:05 PM

Trans temp gauge

I have no idea whats the reason it works when it wants to. Every now and then it will flicker on and then nothing. I am wondering if the sender has crapped out.

The gauge has been wired from the battery with a relay and an in-line fuse. It also has a ground routed to the body ground near the battery. I have a routed all the wiring away from heat as much as possible and all of the connectors have been sealed from moisture as much as possible. All of the wires have been checked for continuity and all check out.

I'm stumped.

2.7taco 06-17-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorifuto (Post 1881865)
Can you add a little more info?

Where did you choose to locate the sending unit (sensor)? What model trans temp gauge did you use? How and where did you mount it? Pics would be nice...

Its an autometer Z trans temp gauge. The sensor/sending unit is mounted in a block of aluminum and clamped to the line. The aluminum acts like heat sink, its off the actual ATF temp by only 5 degrees. The block is still clamped tight to the line.

c0astie31 06-17-2010 02:33 PM

make sure that you put the circle connector in the right place on the temp probe, you need to have the grounf touching the bottom part of the sensor for it to work correctly.

2.7taco 06-17-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0astie31 (Post 1882130)
make sure that you put the circle connector in the right place on the temp probe, you need to have the grounf touching the bottom part of the sensor for it to work correctly.

Explain more if you can a picture would help. As far as I have read the only ground is from the gauge to a good ground source according to Autometer.

JKD 06-17-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.7taco (Post 1882954)
Explain more if you can a picture would help. As far as I have read the only ground is from the gauge to a good ground source according to Autometer.

Sending units often require a good local ground too.

2.7taco 06-18-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKD (Post 1883511)
Sending units often require a good local ground too.

That must be it. Is there any way to set up a ground for the sender unit since I don't have a good area for a ground.

JKD 06-18-2010 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.7taco (Post 1884983)
That must be it. Is there any way to set up a ground for the sender unit since I don't have a good area for a ground.

If the sending unit is metal and is clamped in an aluminum block, then ground the aluminum block. It doesn't have to be a big ground wire--small automotive wire will do just fine.

2.7taco 06-18-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKD (Post 1885294)
If the sending unit is metal and is clamped in an aluminum block, then ground the aluminum block. It doesn't have to be a big ground wire--small automotive wire will do just fine.

Well searching around a little has served me good thanks for all the help. I will be adding a ground wire to my setup asap.

2.7taco 06-19-2010 04:29 PM

Set the ground wire up and ran an easy test drive down the road the temp. averaged 180*F. I had it peak at 195*F for a little when I passed someone on the road. It may be time for a cooler.