1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

help doing a system?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TRDfarmerTN, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    need some info on doin a system in my 2008 double cab...heres what i got ideas so far...i know i want a single 12" sub, prob a shallow mount, who makes a pre-fab box that fits behind the driver side rear seat? also im gna do all new door speakers too, would i see much of a diff using a amp on them or not? id thought about doing a 5-channel amp, but i want a sub bass control knob and i dont think thats possible if using a 5-channel amp and running door speakers too is it? so any ideas on best sub to get and so forth would help...thanks

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    Lots of information on this general question. Check the stickies #1, search "my install" and stuff like that, there are some geniuses here.

my setup:
    2k6 4d
    mr marv 10" custom box ( mine's behind passenger rear seat but no difference except cable run )
    Alpine PDX 5 ( yes 5 channel, although i see you didn't want that )
    JVC kamelion head unit.
    raammat sound deadener from raamaudio
    hd radio

You want pics ?
    here are a shitload that i store for the universe of all my projects on flickr
    here are a few add on videos for future related projects, mainly sound deadening effectiveness demo, and how to remove your headliner because with all that fancy equipment you may be wanting to maximize the quality.
    * read the sticky on swijack, because if you upgrade head unit, then you're next question is: how do I control with my steering wheel controls :) there is a new product supposedely easier (axxis swi) or something like that which I don't have.
    GOOD LUCK, you're gonna love it.

However, there are mucho system setups here they may be an exact match because I realize mine is not an exact match for your desires.

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM
    TRDfarmerTN

TRDfarmerTN [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    20% tint, painted handles,painted grill, wet okole seatcovers,sockmonkey decals
    thanks man...i would like to do a 5-channel amp but could i do a sub gain control knob with it? i figured u couldnt

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    there are options.
    I'm not selling you on the Pdx 5, just showing options.

Rux knobs are for the people in here smarter than I am.

But now I'm angry, because if i can set it up myself, then I want one, and now you made me spend more money :)

http://www.bizrate.com/miscellaneous/rux-knob-knob-pdx/

5. Apr 9, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a sub control knob on my 5 channel amp. JL 900/5. Would NOT want to be without it. Of course that amp costs twice what other similar amps cost due to being a fully regualted amp and more powerful than almost all other all in one amps.

I do NOT reccomend the PDX 5. Its not up to the quality of the other PDX amplifiers. A Kenwood XR5S is a better choice for the same price.

Amping your mids and highs will make a HUGE, HUGE difference. Do not underestimate.

If you want a shallow mount sub... JL 13TW5. If not that, a Rockford or Pioneer shallow 12" sub.

6. Apr 9, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    azntha1one

azntha1one Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner
    A few
    just make sure your subs will fit because you don't have a lot of depth to work with. same with your amp depending upon where you mount it.

Products Discussed in

To Top