1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Rack Options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rollin904, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Apr 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 [OP] Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    First post!

Wanted to ask some opinions on the best rack to carry 1-2 kayaks or a cargo rack for extended trips. I've had a Yakima rack on my Scion xB for several years and it's worked great. Just bought my new Tacoma on Friday, so I'm looking at options that would free up bed space if I want to take off to the mountains for a week or so. Obviously my rack I have now is probably going to be sold since neither the 48" crossbars or the Q Towers will be of much use now, so I'm looking at either the Thule Xsporter or the Trac Rac system. I like how the Thule lets you adjust the height but I've read a few reviews on here saying the fit isn't the best. Trac Rac seems very solid but much more "permanent"...it's removable but I'm lazy so it would be ideal if I could leave the rack on there in the down position if possible. Also should add I have a Thule toolbox, so I may have to work around that (haven't installed the thing yet, still debating it I want it). I have several Yakima accessories already, so it'd be great if I could get a rack that lets me use those (which looks like any square racks, I just have to trim the tabs off my mounts??). Thanks.

Quick pic of the new ride, gonna post some better pics later. You can see the top of my xb behind it! [​IMG]

2. Jul 5, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    JLeephoto

JLeephoto Member

Member:
    N.C. Triad
    Vehicle:
    Red '05 Taco DC, TRD 4x4
    I just put an XSporter on mine (2005 DC SB Taco) yesterday. Went with this rack because I found a good deal on Craigslist so I thought I would give it a shot. Most disappointing is that the forward bed racks won't collapse all the way due to the wheel well blocking the upright from fully lowering. However, it does go low enough to get the rack below cab level and out of the wind. Locks have to be left open, but a bungee around them keeps them from flopping around. I may see about cutting slots to allow me to close these latches.
    They seem very solid when extended. I covered the grooves in the underside of the crossbars with Gorilla brand black duck tape that seems to cut out the whistle some folks complain about.
    I've got Malone Seawings that makes Kayak loading easy (my primary goal) and plan to add some fishing rod racks underneath.
    Overall, I don't think I would be happy if I paid full price for this set-up, but for less than half the price, I so far happy with the purchase.
    I'll make some pics next time I load it up for a trip to the river.

Products Discussed in

To Top