1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Black Lab or Chocolate Lab?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by norcal4banger, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Apr 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger [OP] 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    Okay guys, back again.

I researched kennel training and it seems everyone has there different method, so I'm trying to figure out what I should do. Do I lock her in there? For how long? Should I wait until shes a little older?

These seem to be the only the things people do differently with crate training.

2. Apr 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Thank God I didn't have to go through that. When we adopted Jasmine at 8 months old, she was already crate trained and mostly house trained. I think we've only had 3 accidents total in the house and they were within the first two months.

3. Apr 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I used to do a bit of sporting clays on the Eastern Shore of MD from time to time, and one of the places we went to frequently (Pintail Point) breed, raise, train, and sell labs for hunting.

The guys that worked there told me numerous times that all labs make great pets (as long as the blood lines are good), but to NEVER buy a chocolate lab for hunting. He said "for whatever reason, they just don't get it". You can train them for hunting, but they are no where near as good as a black or yellow lab, so they don't even waste their time with teh chocolates.

Whenever they have chocolate labs in a litter, they were only sold for pets.

Personally I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I thought I would throw in my $.02 since I heard this directly from folks that were in the business of raising and training hunting labs.

4. Apr 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    mrando

mrando Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Reno NV
    I'm gonna have to get my broom* and call Shenanigans on that one! they are genetically all the same, its pretty much training, consistency, and diet, and the best trainer is an older lab (any color). I did mention earlier that I see more fat ones in the browns, but that is definitely unscientific.
    (* not sure? watch more southpark)

5. Apr 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    mrando

mrando Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Reno NV
    What's your goal with the crate training? Noise?, Chewing?, Housebreaking?
    I can give you a few tips, but labs and ex-wives are similar except I like my labs:

Are you still having problems with the housebreaking? crating should solve that pretty easily, and at about 4 months, you should be able to crate her up for up to about 4 hours, the idea is they don't dump where they sleep, a google search will help. (and at that age, they can sleep all night in the crate).

Mostly with pups, its a reflex, when they eat, they hold their breath for about 10-20 minutes, wait till the phone rings, then do it. (ok, kidding, they have a reaction to eating, waking, etc. that causes the mess) Time your feedings to that she can go outside about 10-20 minutes after eating, and you are well on your way to solving the house problem. I got my guy at 14 weeks, and he was totally housebroken in about 6 days.

If your question was based on another crating issue, like how to travel with them, then I missed the mark, sorry.

6. Apr 12, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    mrando

mrando Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Reno NV
    "..but just to hang out with the guys"
    And that's the best damn lab out there.

7. Apr 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    So sorry about the loss of your buddy. Lost mine almost 2 months ago :( x2 on one of the worst days

It doesn't take very long to get attached to them.

Good idea!!! Wonder if that would also work with Annie.... She hates loud noises.

Cute pup :thumbsup: and congratulations on the new addition

I crate trained to contain the destruction when I was out or sleeping. Both Ollie and Annie were crated at night and when I was out. Ollie was able to be let free when she was a year old. Annie on the other hand was a destructive little beast and didn't get her freedom until she was about 3.

Start the crate training NOW!!! It also helps if she has to spend time at the vet or travel.

I just put them in and shut the door. If she makes alot of fuss, ignore her and she will stop. DO NOT let her out while she is fussing, or she will fuss more. To make her more comfortable, feed her in there, play fetch and throw her toy in there and let her know that a kennel is a good place to be. She will soon start going in there on her own for naps or to just hang out.

You can leave her locked up for up to her age in months, plus one hour. If she's 3 months old, she should be able to stay in there for 4 hours without having an accident. At 4 months old, she should be able to "hold it" for 5 hours.

Good luck.

I'm looking for a chocolate lab - Ollie was a yellow lab/golden mix, Annie is a black lab mix, so have to have a chocolate next :cool:

8. Apr 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    norcal4banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I started crate training her immediately after it was recommended on this thread. In fact, I just got home from walking her and she went straight to her kennel and plopped on her bed I made for her in there. She's been doing great with the crate training and I can't really tell hows she's doing with potty training out side her kennel because I take her out all the time. But so far so good, in a few months get ready for a "How do I teach my dog how to retrieve?" thread lol

9. Apr 12, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    norcal4banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:

I'm doing this and it actually works pretty well. I'm thinking about seeing how the gun range will be in a few weeks

10. Apr 12, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I hear ya..... But I was told this first hand by the people that breed, raise, train, and sell the dogs...... and they get serious money for the ones they sell.

11. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    norcal4banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Okay told you I'd be back. My pup is 4.5 months now and I'm starting to wonder when I should start to train her to retrieve with her mallard dummy and scented bumpers. I also have a friend who has a stock pile of freeze dried pheasant wings. How and when do I go about this part?

12. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    plee33

plee33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Sacramento, CA.
    Vehicle:
    SWB TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    SnugTop SuperSport Shell, BedRug, OME Heavy Duty Lift Kit, Weathertech Liners, more to come....
    I'm getting my yellow pup in a week. Should I get a male for female. Any recommendations????

13. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    norcal4banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I got female because I didn't want to deal with a male (which I'd assume) would piss everywhere and be even more hyper than my female. I don't know too much though or if there would even be a difference for this is my first lab

14. Apr 27, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    plee33

plee33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Sacramento, CA.
    Vehicle:
    SWB TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    SnugTop SuperSport Shell, BedRug, OME Heavy Duty Lift Kit, Weathertech Liners, more to come....
    I don't know, I heard the females are more calm. So are you coming down for the snow run?

15. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    norcal4banger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    snow run? lol

16. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Start crate as soon as you get the pup, make it a fun place lots of toys and a soft bed. When they go in give em a treat each time they go in. I cant out run mine to there crate..[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top