1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does any one know what this sound is??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by flyby08, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Apr 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    flyby08

flyby08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 short bed
    TRD Catback exhaust, Topdeck tonnaeu cover, locking gas cap, all weather floor mats, Pop-n-lock tailgate, painted black rims, volant CAI with RAM air scoop, 10" MTX thunder sub with 2ch amp, Alpine SPS-609 and 600, Pioneer AVHP-3200BT HU
    Hello everyone,

About a week and a half ago I noticed a little squeak which i has gotten progressively worse. I have isolated the sound to the right rear shock (its recorded it in the video below). I am not sure if it means the shocked needs to be changed or maybe its just dirty. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also that truck has 39K on it, so i really hope that it needs to be changed already

th_MVI_0632_0c7b000cd9239a84582f1f614ae6d62f611cf779.jpg

PS: if you can't tell the sound from this video please let me know and I will try and post a better one

thanks everyone

2. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    alexe

alexe Active Member

Member:
    leaf springs. powerwash them then grease the hell out of em with your choice of lubricant. spray on is easiest. make sure to spray the bushings too

3. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    ^^^^ wash them and then get each side on the jack to fully open the leafs. Then spray penetrating lube (NOT wd40) thats the actual name of the product

4. Apr 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Agree that is a dirty leaf spring. Clean the hell out of them and then use the lube products above. You can also loosen up the suspension (ubolts and centering pin) and then put pieces of bicycle tire between them. See here (Not my idea- props to beachbum for the work)

5. Apr 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I sprayed white lithium all over the springs and the fittings and it stopped it.

6. Apr 17, 2011 at 1:19 PM
    flyby08

flyby08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 short bed
    TRD Catback exhaust, Topdeck tonnaeu cover, locking gas cap, all weather floor mats, Pop-n-lock tailgate, painted black rims, volant CAI with RAM air scoop, 10" MTX thunder sub with 2ch amp, Alpine SPS-609 and 600, Pioneer AVHP-3200BT HU
    Thanks everyone, I didn't think of the leaf springs at first. I went out got some stuff and clean the hell out of it. Now the noise is gone. Once again thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top