1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Aux/MP3 Question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kbp68, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 [OP] hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    Sorry for my techno ignorance folk but I am confused and searching has only made me more so. My 06 came with the 6 disc with no aux so I bought this similar unit (07) with mp3/aux , WMA(?) and SAT capabilities. I am assuming it is going to be a straight forward plug & play but how do I physically plug into this stereo? I got no cables with the stereo. On the back there are two plugs. One is for the antenna, is the other for the aux plug? Should I be able to pick up a plug at radio shack or is it a Toyota only plug? Does a sat unit plug into this aux also?

012.jpg
    013.jpg

2. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    WMA = Windows Media (Audio) - an alternate audio file format.

Don't know what plugs are on the back of your unit, but I can make some assumptions based on owning a later model radio.

On the later models (mine anyway) three of the white multi-pin connectors are used along with the antenna wire plug-in. The white connector with 12 pins is unused without any audio options and is where the OEM iPod box, a CD Changer, and/or Sat radio box connection would be made. Since there is nothing else besides the three white connectors and antenna, yet my aux input worked, I infer the aux input is in one of the bundles with a white connector and not the separate wiring plug over by the antenna (have no idea what that does, but I suspect it is the antenna for the Sat unit).

3. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    So I still need the 12 pin oem plug that will give me a place to plug in my mp3/ipod. Anyone know if an aftermarket connector is available?

4. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    What do you mean by "not very good"? Poor sound quality?

5. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    Thanks guys

6. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    TXVET

TXVET Member

Member:
    Abilene, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4dr LB
    3" Procomp suspension lift ( NOT SPACERS ), 17x9 Moto Metals, 285/70/17, ARE bed cover
    I have an 06 with a 6 disk changer also. I wanted to do the same thing, which was to see about a mp3 hook up. I went straight to the source, Toyota parts dept in town and asked if the 07-09 model stereo would be a direct replacement? He looked up the stereos of 05-06 and 07-09 and they are not plug and play. If you look at the panel where your cigarette lighter and power port are thats different from newer 07-09 and thats where the mp3/aux port is . Also the connections are different in 05-06, MP3 ports were an oversight for trucks till 07 ( Aren't we lucky ) The parts guy told me he could add an mp3 port from toyota for 350! I decided to start looking for an aftermarket deck with mp3 hookups that will allow me to use the steering wheel control. I think Kenwood and eclipse make those.

7. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    kbp68

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    so exactly how many stereo options were available? Why would toyota have a JBL and a NON - JBL 6 disc? Who makes the Non-JBL?

8. Apr 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    currently three.

1. 2011 Tacoma Non-JBL, single CD player made by Delphi, speakers look like a Panasonic design, haven't opened mine up to look, but on a previous Toyota with the same style speaker they were made by Panasonic
    2. 2011 Tacoma Non-JBL, 6-cd player made by Panasonic
    3. 2008 4 Runner (wife's non Nav unit) JBL 6-CD player made by Pioneer, speakers presumably by JBL. JBL with touchscreen/Nav was made by Eclipse (Actually Fujitsu Ten is the company name IIRC)

Why JBL and non-JBL? Because they sense a market that will turn a profit. For those with the Nav/DVD capability on something like a 4Runner (I presume it will play a movie, we have the 6-CD changer) the JBL system has a synthesized center channel and a sub-woofer of sorts - a sort of rolling 5.1 sound system like a home theater.

9. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    My 2011 Double cab, short bed, PreRunner, SR5 came with a non-JBL single CD player made by Delphi - previously owned by GM and split off years ago.

I purchased a non-JBL 6-CD changer from a fellow forum member with a build date of Jan 2011, and it was made by Panasonic.

10. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Yeah, that is/was causing a problem for Grom, and maybe others, in adding an external iPod/Aux/USB player.

I know because I have a perfectly good Grom unit that I had to pull and install the OEM iPod adapter.

11. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I forgot exactly, but its something like Fujitsu ten that makes the HUs. They also make Eclipse HUs, that's why the install on Eclipse HUs are plug and play (same thing for other Toyota and Lexus OEM HUs)

12. Dec 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    to revive an old thread since my new thread didn't get any hits...

I swapped the radio from a 2010 into my 2005 so I can at least play MP3s files off a CD-R but I would like to get an AUX plug hooked up. Since the 2010 has a "cd/aux" button, do I need one of those adapter things or is it simply plugging in a wire?

I found this for Corolla but not one that goes into the unused plug on Tacoma.
    [​IMG]

lbridges said he has aux in but still has the 12 pin spot unused.

Anyone have a pin diagram or at least a picture of the plugs/wires for an OEM unit with aux?

Maybe it's as simple as cutting the end off an aux cable and shoving L+, L-, R+, R- into the existing harness?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Jan 2, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    Someone that has a stock aux-in:

Can you pop it out and tell us how many wires are connected to it and what color they are?

Then, if you're still feeling nice, can you pull out the head unit and take a picture of the harnesses to find what pins the aux-in wires connect to?

This is the picture of my 2005 plugs connected to a 2010 head unit.

IMG_20140102_171800-edit.jpg
    IMG_20140102_171907-edit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top