1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WD Hitch w/ Sway bar question

Discussion in 'Towing' started by fajitas21, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Apr 17, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 [OP] XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Please someone fact check me and make sure this is right.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-48053-Weight-Distributing-Adjustable/dp/B00192JH5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1303102919&sr=8-1

This particular WD hitch w/ sway control says 1000 lbs lift, 10,000 lbs max. I'm looking at a 4000 lbs - 5000 lbs travel trailer to occasionally move, and eventually a 3500 - 4000 lbs travel trailer to buy with this hitch.

I should be good right?

Follow up question:

Anyone with this one have any comments? Is it decent? How well does the sway control work on this unit.

**Additional info**
    I am about to install my Air-Lift airbags and brake control this weekend, and then go and weigh my truck and travel trailer (my father in laws) to make sure I fall under my GCVW of 11,100.

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM
    Whiskeyjack

Whiskeyjack Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    '21 ORDC Cement
    I was going to purchase a similar weight Camco hitch from Amazon for my Prerunner and 3500 lb trailer. I had used Camco hitches for other larger trailers. Guys on RV.net counciled me to not use a hitch with that heavy duty of bars for that light weight of a trailer. They said that spring bars that heavy duty might pressure and possiby torque the trailer frame enough to cause frame bends. I still bought from Amazon, but got a Camco with 550-600 lb bars. It was a few bucks more than you're looking to spend.

I'm sure you could use the heavier duty Camco if you are careful with your set up and use. I'm not going to buy a larger trailer down the road, so I won't need a heavier hitch. That's the main reason I went with the more careful sizing route.

I've used Camco hitches both with and without sway control. As long as my trailer was loaded correctly and the hitch set up right, I didn't notice much difference. Sway control is nice to have to increase your safety margin, but some use it to cover up for poor loading and hitch set up.

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 [OP] XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    Good point. My uncle once wrecked his truck with me in it because he didn't load the trailer correctly. To say the least, that was 10 years ago and I've learned a ton since then. I'm pretty careful because I never, EVER, want to be doing 60 mph while looking at oncoming traffic (we were spinning) again.

My main concern for sway is simply side winds while traveling flat, open areas with a lighter truck (4000 lb truck pulling 5000 lb trailer). However, I've got my Air Lift bags to handle of the the side wind sways and dipping on the braking aspect.

Good info guys, thanks a bunch.

Products Discussed in

To Top