1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

For those with a new blower motor....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rossi396, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 [OP] Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White TRD Off Road DCSB
    Guys:

The replacement for my "squeaking" blower motor is a loud, obnoxious, whining one. Have any of you noticed that the replacement is noticeably louder than the original? It's not squeaking any more, but I can hear it on the first and second settings. The only time I CAN'T hear it is when the air coming out of the vents is louder than the motor (third setting).

If I turn the truck off with the ignition still on, I can switch back and forth between the first and second settings and it sounds terrible...Sound kind of like a turbine engine spooling up.

Debating on whether or not to go back to the dealer....

Thanks,

Rossi

2. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    since I got mine switched out, I havn't heard a thing from the new motor. But then again I do tend to have the stereo up pretty loud.

It may be a case of you just paying really close attention to it now that you allready had a problem there

3. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:55 AM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 [OP] Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Will you try it with the ignition off? Mine is definitely louder than the original (when it wasn't squeaking)!

Thanks...

Rossi

4. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    bendawg62

bendawg62 Active Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD / 2013 Tacoma TRD
    My blower motor started squeaking at 8000km, so I had it replaced under warranty. The second motor was just as quiet as the first , as far as fan noise, but I noticed a couple of small squeaks the other day while driving. The truck has 16000km now and will probably require another fan motor replacement soon. Perhaps, as preventative maintenance, they should change it every other oil change ;)

5. Dec 31, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    The replacement fan is as bad as the original. Toyota has not fixed the issue yet. Keep in mind the blower motor is not manufactured by Toyota and is an outsourced part.

6. Dec 31, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Rossi396

Rossi396 [OP] Rossi396

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone ever figured out which (if any) aftermarket blower motors are better? I'd be willing to buy a replacement.

7. Dec 31, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I got the one from RockAuto.com and havent had any noise from it. been on for only a couple k miles.

8. Dec 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Chronism

Chronism Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR/DC
    I just ordered an aftermarket one made by TYD I think it was. Not even going to bother with the warranty route.

9. Dec 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Mine is from Amazon and it's made by TYC. I got it for $40. I put it on 2 weeks ago; it's too early to tell. There's one online as Autozone for $100 that comes with a lifetime warranty; that will be my next strp should this one crap out too.

10. Mar 30, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    USNavyTaco

USNavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goose Creek SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma prerunner sr5 with mods
    2 inch coil spacers up front, tsb rear, Kobalt toolbox, westin bull bar, driver seat height mod, jvc head unit, rag joint zip tie truss mod, 17inch alloy 4runner sr5 rims wrapped in 265 yoko geolanders, off road lights, uhaul hitch, tacoma seat covers, avs vent visors, debadged prerunner, mud flaps gone, scanguage II, glovebox shock absorber mod,flowmaster 40 exhaust,
    I ordered a TYC fan off Amazon.com a few nights ago. Should be here by next wednesday.

Ive had my replacement blower and insulation kit on backorder for about a month and a half. So im just going to do it myself in the meantime to get me back to sanity.

Of course, when my replacement arrives at my house, that will be the day the dealer calls me and tells me my Toyota fan and foam insulation is in.

Ill swap it back out for my chirping one, and keep my tyc one. If the new one chirps or annoys me, ill put BACK in the TYC one. If it doesnt, ill keep the tyc one at home just in case.

Im just focused on the dealer doing my leaf spring TSB this weekend, they will evaluate and let me know, cause i have bed sag, and am feeling some axle wrap, grumble............

11. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    RichardG

RichardG Active Member

Member:
    GA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Off Road
    I just got mine replaced yesterday and this morning it is as loud as the first one, but is muffled witht he insulation around it. I came on here to see what others were experiencing becuase I was about to call and see if they even replaced it or just tried to muffle the existing noise. Sounds like they still have the same issue even with new ones.

12. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:31 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    My new one is fine. To bad the dickheads left something loose in my dash. When I'm at a stop sign or red light,my dash rattles bad

13. Mar 31, 2011 at 5:33 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago. The new one I got is definitely a different design than the old one, judging by the sound. It doesn't squeak yet, and I don't think it will because it is obviously a beefier motor. It is louder in all positions, but at least it is a fan noise and not a chirping noise. I'm happy enough with it.

14. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    RichardG

RichardG Active Member

Member:
    GA, USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Off Road
    I defintely see the difference in the motors, I just dont know if its any quiter then the first one that was sqeaking all the time. I will give it a few days, since I have to take my truck back in when they find me a loaner to get the seal around the windshield replaced for the other noise.

15. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    They told me the same thing when mine was replaced Tuesday. Now mine sounds as the OP describes...like the fan is spooling and then a tubular air flow noise...idk hard to describe but definately a noise.

16. Mar 31, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Nater

Nater Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Vernal, UT
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport Access Cab
    Bestop, custom storage in bed, many more to come she's only two months old!
    Got my new one at 3k miles. It is a definite improvement over the first. I do notice the jet engine noise, but only when the temp is halfway between hot, and straight up. I guess its a valve/flap opening to blend cooler outside air? if i put the temp knob straight up or all the way hot or cold, i cant hear it.

17. Apr 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
  18. Dec 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Rotary12

Rotary12 Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Topper and bed rug
    I'm going in to the dealer Thursday to have my blower changed for the third time! This is getting really old. The dealer is not being much help on the cause of this and by the sounds on the forum, the blower has been an issue for quite some time. Maybe it's time to engage someone about a redesign and a non-safety recall?

Products Discussed in

To Top