1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Requesting rear spring recommendations

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DevL, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Haha, I think we've done it Sean...... :threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked:

Oh , sorry for threadjack OP & I dunno contact M.I.T. or someone to engineer your springs & good luck

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Yes we have, once again.:D

3. Apr 19, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    DevL

DevL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wish I had your confidence to build springs... which leaf did you pull from what Ford and where did you insert it on the taco 3 leaf?

4. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:33 AM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    DevL, Doug gave me his specs. their 2.5" (60mm) wide about 1/4 thick and the first is 40" long and the second around 33" I believe???? they are the 2 smallest leafs so they are at the botttom....

Doug, going to Sac town Wednesday I think and the yard is an all Toyota place. Thinking about getting a set of Toyota leafs maybe even 2 sets for a total of 4. Then taking it apart and cutting the eyelets off of one and doubling up the main leaf and then finding a middle leaf and grinding it about 3" shorter and putting it under my middle leaf. This may work for me. I need the leafs for the added weight I place on the back of my truck. Not interested in flexing.
    Let me know what your thoughts are.

5. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I heard teq stickers add 1" of flex

6. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    All pro 3" leaf springs. Should give about 2-2.5" of lift after adding that weight. Or the all pro expedition leafs that give 3" lift after what is it 500 lbs of weight? Both give great flex and would require new longer brake lines

7. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    First off Devl , what I do (susp./MODS in general) & how I go about it isn't for everyone, it does frustrate me though that so many members here are conditioned (sounds better than brainwashed) that unless their upgrade has some name brand label attached (not to mention a now half empty wallet) that it is either wrong or somehow inferior, I come from an era of 4x's that had little if any after market products (the 70's) So most "upgrades" were done in the garage. Its not so much confidence as it is trial & error & learning what worked & what didn't. I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from buying aftermarket springs just trying to show that there are alternatives to get the same or better results at a fraction of the cost.. but if money isn't an issue as you've indicated then you'd be wise to consult a regular spring & axle shop tell them what you need & let them engineer them for you, there again it won't be cheap, you indicated a lift so remember that you'll need extended brake lines & may want to get a Carrier bearing drop kit also...

Nice !! wish we had an all Toyota junkyard here, but think about it a sec. if the weak ass springs we all have had to suffer with on the 1st & 2nd gens, do you really want to slap another piece of shit spring ? It may work for awhile & depending how much you load in your truck you may end up right back where you are. Let me clarify once again, & I'm going to caps it so it doesn't go unnoticed.....

IT MATTERS NOT WHAT MODEL/MAKE VEHICLE YOUR ADDED SPRINGS COME OFF OF, MINE JUST HAPPEN TO COME OFF A FORD RANGER, WHAT DOES MATTER IS WIDTH & THICKNESS !!

:pThere thats better

I gonna get 3 or 4 then....:D

8. Apr 19, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Beat ya to it :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303239049.691751.jpg

9. Apr 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x

I'm always last....:mad::(:):D

10. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    brelandt

brelandt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Dublin, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner reg cab SR5
    3" lift front and back
    Doug that has crossed my mind....plans may have changed....hitting a u-pull-it in Oakland. More choices and cheaper prices! bringing the tape measure with me!

11. Apr 19, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    So I've been talkin to the pops and it looks like I'll be ordering the expos and then rebuilding our trailer springs with the toyo leaves :D

12. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Nice !! Outside the box man, ;) love it, listen Terry anything I can do to help you thru the process you let me know, its really not hard at all, just remember that width is most important & not to get anything thinner than the stock ones now, I promise you won't be disappointed & the satisfaction that comes from doing it, you aren't just slapping parts on, you're actually doing a build, I'll add also that I used the same U bolts because the thread stretch was barely noticable, you can ask a couple SoCal guys that have ridden in my truck since the spring build & oddly enough these same 2 members are the ones I'm building their 2nd gens for, go figure :D:D

Nice to here a decision Max, the expos are a great spring & I hope your trailer doesn't get axle wrap !!!:D

13. Apr 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    I've got All-Pro Expo's and well I still don't understand the 4"lift unloaded cause Right now I'm sitting at 1" higher then my 2"AAL so really nets about 3" and they ride great, and flex out good too (well for my liking)!

14. Apr 19, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    If I'm understanding you correctly you say the Expos advertise an unladen lift of 4" but you only achieved 3" ?

Remember though that they base that on a totally stock spring, so a 4" over stock is what they claim ?

15. Apr 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    From what I understand they give around 4-5 inches on unladen 1st gens and 3-4 inches on second gens

Products Discussed in

To Top