1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Open Car Trailer?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by S.B., Apr 20, 2011.

1. Apr 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    S.B.

S.B. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I'm hoping to get my hands on an old Toyota pickup of 4runner (80-85) and am wondering what kind of trailer to go with. I'm thinking tandem axle (or is a single axle more than enough?), electric brakes on both axles (or do I only need them on on axle?), steel frame (aluminum is too expensive), bumper pull type. Any thing I should change?

I will be pulling it with my taco. I'm not worried about the weight so much as the right trailer for the job. The truck will weight about 3000 to 3500lbs.

What brand is recommended and where should I buy (in Colorado)?

Thanks in advance.

2. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're hauling another vehicle, you definately need a tandom axle with trailer brakes on each hub/wheel. And - I WOULD NOT haul it off your bumper. Your bumper will not support the full weight of your truck plus the weight of the trailer. You need to get a Class II hitch (atleast).

The other big thing to think about, is length. Trailers come in many lengths. They also come in open deck or full covered deck. All this stuff adds weight.

We used to own a 14' open deck dual axle car hauler. Each axle had a weight rating of 3500lbs for a total of 7,000lbs. We hauled our jeep - which weighed approx 4500lbs and the trailer weighed 1200lbs empty. The 14" was perfect size for a Wrangler, with room to adjust for tonque weight.
    [​IMG]

So depending on the wheelbase of your truck, you may need to look at 16" trailers. The 14" might work but don't get anything smaller than that. You want a trailer that's big enough that you have room to fine-tune for tonque weight. The truck can be moved on trailer to adjust for more or lesss tonque weight which can make a huge difference in controllability.

3. Apr 21, 2011 at 12:11 AM
    S.B.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Ya the websites just referred to a hitch pull as a "bumper pull", I know the bumper isn't strong enough. I have the factory tow package. I tow my brothers Wrangler, but I flat tow it. Just when I get my "new" truck I want it on a trailer.

I will be using an open trailer. It about 106" wheel base.

What brand of trailer do you recommend? and was yours steel or aluminum?

4. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Ours was steal. Like you mentioned - alluminum trailers are expensive. However, they don't rust and probably have a better resale value ??

I got ours locally and I'm not even sure its a popular name ?? It was a Shur Trial. You'll just have to search around your area to find trailer dealers/sellers and compare prices, etc. Or perhaps search for used trailers. A used alluminum trailer might be something to consider also.

5. Apr 21, 2011 at 6:49 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    For length reference, here's my access cab Tacoma on a 16' trailer. The tongue weight with the truck pulled this far forward is just right, but I have a lot of weight behind the cab of the white truck.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 21, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Odds are, you will be exceeding the combined weight rating and/or trailer weight rating. Trailer will weigh 1500+lbs.
    That said... If your intent is to be able to stop, then put brakes on both axles. Tandem axle since the highest rating for single axles is 3500lbs. Since the trailer weight is in the mix, you cant haul 3500lbs on the trailer's bed, hence tandem axles.
    If this is a one time haul, it may be doable. I wouldn't do it regularly. I pulled a 6x12 Uhaul from Ohio to Virginia. I was 800lbs over my combined weight. It was unavoidable, and the truck was unstable over 55mph. Trailer sway was steering the truck. With trailer brakes, it was easy to stop.

You may want to rethink your towing equation.

7. Apr 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    S.B.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    The Toyota will be my trail rig, so i will be towing fairly regularly.

On the tandem axles, I was thinking the same, but just making sure.

Looks like I should be getting a 16' long trailer, tandem axle, brakes at al 4 wheels, WD hitch, airbags for the rear. Steel, unless I find a good deal on an aluminum one.

8. Apr 22, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I would look for an open deck - to keep the weight down. With a trail rig and trailer, you will come very close to the max.

And don't forget - your rig will grow in weight after you do all sorts of modifications to it. Just for reference - our 14' open deck trailer weighed 1200lbs.

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    S.B.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    Thanks for the info. I was adding up costs and looks to be 10grand down the drain in no time.:D

10. Apr 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I would avoid the air bags. They tear on the trail, so im told. AAL and air shocks would be a safer bet. Unless you're old toyota is the trail rig and the other is the towing rig, then forget what I just wrote:)

Products Discussed in

To Top