1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow-N-See Mirrors

Discussion in 'Towing' started by fajitas21, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 at 8:12 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 [OP] XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I hope this helps someone else who's on the fence about this.

I had an opportunity to tow my Father-in-laws TT this weekend, for various reasons. I wanted to test Brake Control, Airbags, and how 5700 lbs loaded felt in 30 - 40MPH winds (HOLY CRAP). To be prepared for all of this is the key, it's not always perfect weather outside.

I bought 1 convex and 1 flat tow-n-see mirror, both held on like a champ @ 55 MPH (too scared to go faster in that wind) with 30 - 45MPH gusts.

Convex is wayyyy easier to see, could see the entire side of the TT, and my truck, the white line on the road, and to the sides where cars might be VERY well.

The flat just looked right down the side, but I couldn't see much farther out (i.e. cars next to the TT), and I couldn't see the white stripes in road.

Both vibrated a little, but the convex was damn near perfect.

I promplty ordered a 2nd convex after this experiment, and will keep the flat as a backup in case I lose one down the highway, but I was very impressed with these mirrors.

2. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    guybmoto

guybmoto Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Links for the mirrors you're talking about?

I spent all last summer towing with the stock mirrors. It works, but it's far less than desirable.

3. Apr 27, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    MillerMan06

MillerMan06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    K&N Cold Air Intake,Running boards,bed cover,windows tinted, MagLite seat mount (A big Thankyou to piercedtiger for that one got it off cheap/free mods) extra 4 outlets on the 12V plug 3 12V plug in's and a USB all one box with toggles,48LED dome light (blue), Tail gate theft mod,Exhaust flowmaster super 44 with tips!!!!
    how did it do with 5700lbs box on your rear???? towed between 4 1\2-5k with mine about a month ago and it did well but that was a open air 8X10 single axel with 4k of patio stones on it!!!!!!

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Here's a link. You can find the flat mirrors like these at Wal-mart, but I think the convex are better.

Tow-N-See @ Amazon

5700 lbs was rough. Truck did it, but I wouldn't want to pull it too far. I made a post regarding that experience in the Towing section on these forums here. I'll find it and link it for you here too.

With that setup, both WD Hitch and swaybar were used. My travel trailer I bought (a 22RB XLITE - Salem from Forrest River), I only use a swaybar, but might upgrade to a WD later. I don't really need the WD setup because it's only about 3500 lbs, but the swaybar is a safety feature I'd prefer not to deal without. Also using a Tekonsha P3 brake control. Highly recommended.

5. Apr 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
  6. Apr 28, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Tow n see are POS. THey vibrate so bad you can't see anything at hwy speeds.

I have the Mekesh and I love them. Still a little vibration but not like the tow n see's. The Mekesh are little pricey but worth it. I got mine off FleeBay for $45.

Here they are on my rig. The pic is on a Ferry in NC last week. Spent 10 days in the OuterBanks and pulled the rig about 900 miles.
    04-11_OBX_Trip_015_d2ec0c7d5e624252629c1fa9274ca80814d76d14.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    I rarely go past 65 and I don't get vibration. I will say, however, that the Flat mirrors of the tow-n-see do vibrate, but I have zero issues with the convex ones.

If you have only used the flat mirrors, then I understand your comments. I personally think the flat one is junk.

8. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    I was using the convex. I like the larger mirror of the mekesh.My trailer is 8' wide but made even wider on the right due to the awning. I do not travel over 65 primarily because I am not in a hurry and also because most TT's have ST rated tires that are rates at a max speed of 65mph.

gutbmoto used the stock mirrors but I believe his fun finder rig is either 7' or 7.5 feet wide. It make a difference. I have used the stock mirrors for short distance but that it.

After getting the mekesh I will not go back to a smaller less effective mirrors, the difference is night and day.

Just use what works best for you.

Happy camping!!!!

9. May 1, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    PSMCN:

I agree the width of the trailer is a big decider. My Father-in-Laws TT was an 8' trailer and these mirrors worked, but I felt a bit close on the edges. I wasn't uncomfortable, but I will say that my TT is 7'6" and it's a much less wide feeling TT, even though it's only 6".

With that said, I really do like the mirrors you have on your truck, they look like overkill for the job, but don't get me wrong. I LOVE OVERKILL.

If I am ever disappointed with the Tow-N-See in the future, I'll immediately take your advice and buy your mirrors.

Thanks for the input, I'm always interested to know what everyone else's setup is.

10. May 3, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    I use an Equal-i-zer WD hitch on my rig. My trailer is 3220# dry and with full load of water and other crap I'm sure it's over 4000#. I don't carry water very often but sometimes I need to. My tongue weight is around 345# w/ two full tanks and two deep cycle batteries.

I have pulled my rig with and with out the WD hooked up and for any distance it is a must with the weight of the TT with the Taco. With out the WD hooked up there is about 2" of sag on the rear but with the WD I have it adjusted to 3/4 of an inch of sag in the rear with no lift in the front. With out the WD the whole rig pogos in the middle, kinda annoying and the front is bit lighter. With the WD that pogo is gone with a much smoother ride and better control. The nice thing about the Equal-i-zer is it is WD and Sway control in one unit. What I really like about WD over a single ball mount is the all around stability you get throughout the rig.

Just my two cents.

Paul

11. May 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    [​IMG]

Agreed. I just hooked up my WD hitch today. I am ok on tongue weight until you start loading the TT and the truck bed down. Just to be safe I went ahead and got one.

12. May 4, 2011 at 2:55 AM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Nice looking set up there. It's good to see Taco's hauling!!

13. May 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Silver and White Travel Trailers look good together. I see you share my belief. Thanks for the kind words.

14. May 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Did someone say "Taco's Hauling"?
    [​IMG]
    picture whore:spy:

To Top