1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Tacoma 4x4 - Warranty Coverage Denied

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by backpacker4u82, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    Sleeper362

Sleeper362 One Convenient Locations ......In Africa

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
    I have a bone stock 4X4 truck and I plan on taking it offroad. Its an SR5 not even a TRD, but it is going to hit the dirt and I will let the trail dictate what parts I need to upgrade. I can tell you tires will probably be first. I kind of agree with the guys saying that looking like an offroad truck but not being one is perpetrating the fraud.

2. Apr 8, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    That looks like a Pierce with the old 100' Smeal ladder on it.

Rear area of the torque box (for the ladder) is probably wrecked too. ... :eek:

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Nightwar

Nightwar .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Webster, Tx
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 V6 4X4 Silver
    Avid sliders & Lightbar, Front 5100s/Eibachs, Rear OME Shocks/Alcan 2" AAL, LR UCAs, Debadged, ProComp 7089s, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey decals, 2x Kicker CompVR 10s, Pioneer P4300DVD, BHLM
  4. Apr 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    HomeGrown

HomeGrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Bend, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4WD
    Show some respect for the OP, this thread has a very specific purpose and target audience. TacomaWorld has enough member base to get Toyota's attention, however brief it may be (like an ADD 5-year old on Mountain Dew and Zingers). This thread should voice our concerns and thoughts as to how they are handling this issue, and how their customer is being treated by the dealer. I thank you and the OP (I'm sure) thanks you. :)

:stayontopic:

5. Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    My experience too. Was at the dealer today and told my salesguy if I feel I need to buy an Extended Service contract (They are NOT "Warranties" it would be from the Northern region. There is already another line between the buyer and Toyota in the Distributor.... Don't need the distributor selling me THEIR Service Contacts. Seems to me a conflict of interst would be pretty apparent.,

There is no such thing as the "Toyota OEM platnium Warranty" They call it a VSA or Toyota Extra Care Vehicle Service Agreement. They really aren't warranties\ and are not covered under Magnunson-Moss

6. Apr 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    I completely agree. ( and I take no offense at the "Rugged Trail" jab..Sometimes having something different makes it a target.So be it . I would rather be different and find my truck easily in a parking lot full of stock Tacos :D

But two people can have exactly identical trucks. One that goes off road for fun an games and the other that goes to Mall to pick up the babes. Being identical BOTH are REAL trucks....however the OWNERS are different.....The purposes are different..same trucks. I think the offense taken was in that a truck is not a real truck becasue of the way its used. You might say an owner is not a read "trucker" instead a poser..... Not to worry happens all the time in the bike world. especially Harley riders amongst themselves. Whose the "real" biker and all that.

The problem is Toyota believes the OP is in the former group because he has mud on the outside of his truck instead of stained seats.....;)

7. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    No updates?
    Ahhh The joys of owning a Toyota truck.
    I buy a truck to do almost things a car can't.......
    I buy 4WD to do what a 2WD can't......
    I bought the TRD OFFROAD to do what the SR5 CAN'T!
    But according to Toyota, off road is a no no. How about dirt roads?
    I've had endless rear axle issues, first one the almost denied my claim, I told them to fax the bill to my lawyer. End of argument.
    I have bought a total of 4 NEW Toyota's in the past 6 years. Decent cars, but I will never ever buy another Toyota truck. An F150 is my next truck, only because a Fronty (tough as nails, BTW), is not as good of a value.
    END RANT!
    Let us know how arbitration went.

8. Apr 30, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    yea but the people who have broken the rear diffs.. dont complain....so how is toyota going to do anything about it if more than half the people it happens too dont raise hell...
    i know for dam sure if it happenes to me i will kick some ass in the dealership if they do not cover it....well within the warrenty time frame anyways.....
    :eek:

9. May 1, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    bertfull

bertfull Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    VA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner 6" Lift/ 33" BFGs/ 16mpg
    3" Procomp susp lift & 3" Body Lift/ SPC UCAs.

4 new Toyotas in 6 years? Why?

10. May 1, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Agreed, as of right now. Next truck will be a silverado though.

11. May 10, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    backpacker4u82

backpacker4u82 [OP] Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    none
    All,

Thank you for your insight. Happy to report the arbitrator sided in my favor ordering Toyota to cover cost for replacement of rear differential in the amount of roughly $2600. The main decision point was that this vehicle is equiped with the TRD off road package designed for heavy duty off road use. The fact I had mud on the vehicle and scratches on my skid plate does not imply I was driving in an abusive manor. In the decision letter (sent to both Toyota and myself) the arbitrator stated he was acutally surprised at the good quality of vehicle both inside and out (includeing under cariage) for an off road vehicle advertised as such. Great Day! I will be celebrating. Thanks again!
    Danny

12. May 10, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    trolls soil vehicles easily
    good to hear :cheers:

13. May 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :cheers:

14. May 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    great news.....................

15. May 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Awesome!

16. May 10, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    :proposetoast: yay

Totally crazy that you even had to go to arbitration though. Good god .. we took my wife's Subaru into the dealer for a whole bunch of warranty work - probably $3500 worth on 5 different issues. They just checked the computer to make sure each part was covered under warranty (it all was), approved the claims without argument and went to work. Amazing customer service. Which might help explain why Subaru was the ONLY car company to actually GROW during the recession (by a whopping 15%).

Props to the OP for coming back & sharing the outcome with the community.

17. May 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Awesome news.

18. May 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Bfoster133

Bfoster133 If i asked my dad for money, He'd knock me out

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Thousand oaks, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD offroad
    15% Tint, 5100's at 1.75, Rear Diff Breather, CB radio, Black rattle canned rims, 265/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Magnaflow Offroad pro cat back, hi-lift bed mounted, shovel bed mounted
    you were the 1% of people who stayed on their ass and it worked! they had no argument to begin with just trying to make money!

19. May 10, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Sleeper362

Sleeper362 One Convenient Locations ......In Africa

Member:
    First Name:
    Corporal
    K-Vegas NC
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4X4 DC Shortbed
  20. May 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM
    Tarheelz2350

Tarheelz2350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Dallas, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM 4x4 TRD O/R DC
    Bilstein 5100's F/R, Tin Snip mud flap mod, Partial Debadge, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Rear Spring TSB, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Devil Horn's courtesy of Andres
    Congrats. Sad that it had to come to arbitration. Now make sure you don't do anymore evil off-roading.

:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top